Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

An accurate depiction of a D&D party having faced a dragon
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

At level 4 or 5.
Last edited by Hicks on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

That was my favorite picture from the 2e PHB. Right at the front, IRC.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Still though.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I've always wondered... who the hell are they posing for? I mean, the big ginger beardy dude is clearly looking at someone. Are there magical photographers in Greyhawk?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I mean... portraiture predates the camera... They could be posing for a painter.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

They had to stand there like that for a week.

The dragon carcass reeked by the time the painter was finished.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Eh, they are probably randoms paid to pose, and the dragon and background are totally made up.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Or posing for an image to send magically. Or they have a magic item/spell that can make paintings.

I want to edit a selfie stick into that image...
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

They're posing for a low-level wizard getting a good enough mental picture, so he can recreate the scene with Phantasmal Force. He will then use the illusion so a painter can later paint it. The money in the box is actually payment for the services, not a dragon hoard. That little dragon wasn't carrying a box around with him in the forest.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Prak wrote:An accurate depiction of a D&D party having faced a dragon
Literally the origin for the Cleric and the Elf of CAPCOM's Tower of Doom.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

My understanding is that this was an early/rejected version of the Dragonlance characters. Red robe is Raistlin, the big guy is Cameron, the guy with the warhammer is Tannis Half-Elven. I don't know where I heard that.
-This space intentionally left blank
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

This image is on the cover of the dragonlance sourcebook Races of Ansalon.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, but AFAIK it was first published in the 2e PHB in '89. Which I think counts against deaddm's recollection, because Elmore's final interpretations of the DL characters were on book covers in '84, and it doesn't seem like they'd sit on that picture for five years when it could have been a Dragon magazine cover or something.

Also, that's a wretched choice for Races of Ansalon. In the context of that title it really looks like the celebration of the lynching of a naked draconian.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

deaddmwalking wrote:My understanding is that this was an early/rejected version of the Dragonlance characters. Red robe is Raistlin, the big guy is Cameron, the guy with the warhammer is Tannis Half-Elven. I don't know where I heard that.
Not likely. The Dragonlance party was designed by committee, and a bunch of stuff doesn't match.
Dragons were supposed to be ancient, awe-inspiring setpieces; the evil ones were well-cared-for war assets and hunting a random wyrmling was out of the question.
The elf girl can't be Laurana, because she wasn't a Companion and never went "adventuring".
The dark-haired lady can't be Kitiara because the Companions never fought a dragon (the return of dragons is kind of the point of the setting), and she can't be Tika because Tika was a late addition designed by artists as a red-haired, semi-naked "babe".
Tanis has always been an archer; the guy in the picture looks like a cleric (who were almost absent in the setting and took some time to reappear).
Raistlin was a back-and-forth between Margaret Weis and the artists; him being young was a major point (that, and Tanis missing a shot (twice!! how scandalous!!!), was what counted for originality back in the day), the artists came up with e.g. hourglass pupils because "it'd look cool" (no, I don't know either how they expected it to be noticeable in print) and Weis had to come up with the reason.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

It might not fit into any specific place in the Dragonlance canon (dragons were not a thing until after Kitiara went evil), but the three on the right are certainly easily identifiable as the Majere siblings. I find it hard to imagine that a D&D artist in '89 would achieve that by pure coincidence. The two on the left don't map to any Dragonlance characters particularly well, however.
In the context of that title it really looks like the celebration of the lynching of a naked draconian.
As opposed to the context of regular D&D, in which they are displaying the corpse of a child as a trophy? There's not really any version of this that doesn't make the party of adventurers look like some kind of psychopaths.

Also, why does the Races of Ansalon book have a cover that depicts exactly two races of Ansalon, with one of them being four out of the five playable characters in the picture? From the cover, you'd think the "Races of Ansalon" were almost entirely human with occasionally some elves.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Because Dragonlance d20 was a shitshow and preferred re-using classic art to commissioning new, shitty art.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ancient History wrote:Because Dragonlance d20 was a shitshow and preferred re-using classic art to commissioning new, shitty art.
Fixed that for you.

erik
King

Post by erik »

Well, no... that didn't really fix it. He was talking specifically about the art production for a product in the context of that specific art piece.

Perhaps Dragonlance was also a shitshow, but that's a separate point, not a greater truth.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Even by the standards of d20 and Dragonlance, Dragonlance d20 was a shitshow. We should do an OSSR on it...
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

I could probably give it a go. I've been working on a sort of reboot to dragonlance anyways.
Last edited by Wiseman on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

erik wrote:Well, no... that didn't really fix it. He was talking specifically about the art production for a product in the context of that specific art piece.

Perhaps Dragonlance was also a shitshow, but that's a separate point, not a greater truth.
You must be fun at parties.

I have to object, though. Dragonlance being a shitshow is perhaps the greatest truth, the singular truth from which all else follows.
erik
King

Post by erik »

DSMatticus wrote:
erik wrote:Well, no... that didn't really fix it. He was talking specifically about the art production for a product in the context of that specific art piece.

You must be fun at parties.

I have to object, though. Dragonlance being a shitshow is perhaps the greatest truth, the singular truth from which all else follows.
You know it! I do feel a bit bad for over nitpicking. I’m just not at all familiar with Dragonlance and felt that the point was that the d20 take on it was exceptional.

I don’t know why it rubbed me the wrong way about that fixed it meme being used, but it sure did. That’s why took pains to clarify my objection, probably made me sound even more of a Putz.
Last edited by erik on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.