Eaten by a Shark

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Eaten by a Shark

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

In the last session, I actually had my first primary (I had a named NPC under my control in 2nd ed die) character die. I think that this probably exemplifies the 3.5 unfairness, as this encounter is from a boxed module.

A shark has rammed the submarine we are travelling in, and it needs to surface. When it surfaces, it is caught in a sahugin net. <Characters> ARe need to fend off the shark or cut the submersible free.

Round 1: 2 Characters leave the submersible, decide to try to distract/fend off shark.
Round 2: My character is eaten by a shark (3/4 health gone, the rest to be removed on the digestion round), other characters are trying to swim and cut the net.
-----------------------------
Round 12: 9 characters have been eaten (The DM is being nice and choosing gnome NPCs rather than PCs).

Seriously.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That exemplifies how shitty melee is in 3.5.

Why not stand back and shoot arrows?

Cut it loose when it is dead.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

:lmao:

Game On,
fbmf
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

It happens. Sometimes that great axe crits, some times you get eaten. Color spray might have saved your bacon, but if you where a Druid you could have used wild empathy and have the shark leave.

So I guess the morale of the story is be a Druid.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Juton wrote:if you where a Druid you could have used wild empathy and have the shark leave JOIN FORCES WITH YOU AS A SHARKBRO.

So I guess the morale of the story is be a Druid.
Fixed it for you.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Re: Eaten by a Shark

Post by PhaedrusXY »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:In the last session, I actually had my first primary (I had a named NPC under my control in 2nd ed die) character die. I think that this probably exemplifies the 3.5 unfairness, as this encounter is from a boxed module.

A shark has rammed the submarine we are travelling in, and it needs to surface. When it surfaces, it is caught in a sahugin net. <Characters> ARe need to fend off the shark or cut the submersible free.

Round 1: 2 Characters leave the submersible, decide to try to distract/fend off shark.
Round 2: My character is eaten by a shark (3/4 health gone, the rest to be removed on the digestion round), other characters are trying to swim and cut the net.
-----------------------------
Round 12: 9 characters have been eaten (The DM is being nice and choosing gnome NPCs rather than PCs).

Seriously.
So wait... wait... Your character died for the first time in D&D, and you've been playing since 2nd edition, and therefore you think D&D is unfair? Did you go off your meds or something? Go play through the original Tome of Horrors, and then you'll know unfair. Until then, stop whining.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And since when does Sun Tzu manage to get eaten by a shark? Does that mean the shark outsmarted him? Win, then go to battle.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Phaedrus: I think you missed the point. it isn't that his character was eaten for the first time that's the problem. It's the idiocy of the Shark!

Although, I still don't understand why you went into melee with it?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Cynic wrote:Phaedrus: I think you missed the point. it isn't that his character was eaten for the first time that's the problem. It's the idiocy of the Shark!

Although, I still don't understand why you went into melee with it?
So... the shark is the stupid one here? :biggrin:

And it doesn't even have swallow whole. So how was he eaten when he was at 25% hit points?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

the idea of a Shark fight is stupid because of the lopsidedness of it.

Really a shark fight is a puzzle fight. just plink and spell 'em.

So, I'll just so, ya, okay, why are you complaining?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

PhaedrusXY wrote:And it doesn't even have swallow whole. So how was he eaten when he was at 25% hit points
Maybe it was a dire shark?

The only time I can recall ever dealing with a dire shark (or any shark) was when I was running a game and the players caught the damn thing with an improvised hook and line (I think it was a chain and maybe an anchor...) and latter on made sharkfin soup.
Last edited by Jilocasin on Wed May 26, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Those must have been some pretty dangerous waters if they had dire sharks in them.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Jilocasin wrote:
PhaedrusXY wrote:And it doesn't even have swallow whole. So how was he eaten when he was at 25% hit points
Maybe it was a dire shark?

The only time I can recall ever dealing with a dire shark (or any shark) was when I was running a game and the players caught the damn thing with an improvised hook and line (I think it was a chain and maybe an anchor...) and latter on made sharkfin soup.
He was facing a CR 9 monster and 2d8+9 took out 75% of his hit points? Did he have a negative con mod on a melee character or something? Or was it a lucky crit?

There are plenty of monsters that are very nasty in melee, and that you're better off just plinking as you fly above their heads. This shouldn't be news to someone who's been playing the game since 2nd edition... Of course, back in 2nd edition fighters actually had more hit points than just about everything, including dragons, and they had awesome saving throws.

I don't think the dire shark even looks that nasty for its CR. There are a lot worse things. Like... most of the other CR 9 core monsters.

The only kind of shark I've ever faced in a game was a megaladon. I was playing a cleric and readied an action to hit it with a Plane Shift when it came into touch range. It failed the save and was gone before it even bit anyone. It was a bit anti-climactic. I did have a character get eaten by a giant catfish once, though. :tongue:
Last edited by PhaedrusXY on Wed May 26, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

PhaedrusXY wrote:He was facing a CR 9 monster and 2d8+9 took out 75% of his hit points? Did he have a negative con mod on a melee character or something? Or was it a lucky crit?
Heh, man I don't know. Maybe he wasn't at full health to begin with, maybe it was a crit, maybe any number of other things. All I know is either it was a regular-ish shark and the dm decided it had swallow whole, or it was a dire shark.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

one of my earliest 3e battles was 6 bulettes at the same time as a level 9 party of two.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

One of my characters was raised by Landsharks, that count?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

One time I used a bulette to recreate the Jaws 2 SNL skit out of genre.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Candygram!
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Isn't the "halfling-falls-out-of-canoe-and-is-eaten-by-giant-pike" trope at work here?