A Bacchae Problem... scratch that, a DM Problem

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

For Valor
Knight-Baron

A Bacchae Problem... scratch that, a DM Problem

Post by For Valor »

So some friends of mine are doing a quick little campaign about saving the world, and recently we just ran into an encounter with the Bacchae (FF p.18), nasty buggers who sing and dance and screw you over with their goddamn happiness.

The way regular Bacchae tactics go is: They try to charm you or throw down Emotion to get you to join their fun, and then force you to make a Will Save (we were in up against a band of 32, so the Will Save was DC 20, with us at level 12. Neh.). This will save only works once per joining of the Debauchery, so characters who make the Will save and start killing Bacchae left and right get to fight the horde. At that point, it's basically killing whelps, with an incapacitated party member or two.

Our DM did it this way: We made Will saves for every Bacchae there (an easy save with 32 trials eventually fails), and then we got stuck in the Bacchae thing. The DM was, at that point, like "Wow... these guys are strong." (I was like "No, you're just an idiot." But I didn't say anything) and let us make 1 Will Save to be free, one more time. I woke up, and so did 1 other guy. We then proceeded to massacre the Bacchae, who then started making us take Will Saves again. Clean, rinse, repeat, and now we're in the same position. I ended up just saying "Fuck it." and dropping a flame strike on the whole damn place. All the Bacchae died. But I was very unhappy.

The trend has been persisting throughout much of the game. Last encounter, we fought a "weaker" Orcwort... as in it spawned the same number of bad guys, had the same radius and hit points, but didn't make natural attacks. The day after, we fought an Optimized Level 17 Fighter with a full load of artifacts. At that point, we were Level 15. The DM had to make the guy run away so he didn't kick our asses.

If "TL;DR", my DM is throwing overpowered and poorly-played (poorly-read, I might add. Cite: Bacchae) campaigns at us. I dislike them. What do I do? Tell him that I don't like it? Powergame like a whore? Please help...
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Sounds to me like you have a communication problem.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

What do I do?
Rant about it online to a bunch of strangers.

That's guaranteed to fix all your problems and get you games more to your liking.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Josh, if nothing else, it can be cathartic, which should help him, actually.

As for your question, Valor, just talk to your dm, tell him that you think he is mis-judging encounters and possibly made a mistake with the Bacchae. If you're old friends that fuck with each other all the time, this can be as simple as "dude, I think you may be accidentally fucking us over on some of these encounters..." If that's not a phrasing he'd take well, put it however you think it needs to be put.

But above all, do it away from the table.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Prak, so can being a snarky jerk online. :p

The solution to this issue is so patently obvious (discuss calmly with DM or leave game), and similar issues have been discussed so many times previously on every D&D message board in existence that I didn't feel it warranted a sympathetic response.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Total communication problem. If you're not going to run, the GM runs the show, warts and all. Talk to him outside the game and not over the dice and rulings that are currently fucking you, but basically, roll with it. Deal or ditch.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Prak, so can being a snarky jerk online. :p

The solution to this issue is so patently obvious (discuss calmly with DM or leave game), and similar issues have been discussed so many times previously on every D&D message board in existence that I didn't feel it warranted a sympathetic response.
I had no idea that this was a problem in other places. Please forgive my stupidity; I'll go shove my face in an iodine bath, now.

...and it was a little cathartic...
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

For Valor wrote:
Josh_Kablack wrote:Prak, so can being a snarky jerk online. :p

I had no idea that this was a problem in other places. Please forgive my stupidity; I'll go shove my face in an iodine bath, now.

...and it was a little cathartic...
95% of human relation problems can be solved by calming down and discussing the matter in a reasonable fashion with the other person. This doesn't matter whether it's roleplaying, "roleplaying," friendly interaction, or "friendly interaction." You do have to brace yourself for the fact that the solution may not be one you actually want (such as dropping the game), even if it is the one you need (and not getting stuck with a terrible game).
Last edited by TavishArtair on Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

FV: don't apologize to Josh. If it was cathartic, then there you go. As one of the millions (yes, millions...) who has complained about his his game on this board, talking with the dm will help and if it doesn't, tie him up and poke him with heated d4s.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Cynic wrote:talking with the dm will help and if it doesn't, tie him up and poke him with heated d4s.
I have steel ones I can lend for that if necessary. :biggrin:
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Cynic wrote: FV: don't apologize to Josh. If it was cathartic, then there you go. As one of the millions (yes, millions...) who has complained about his his game on this board,
Holy shit, this guy must be a legendarily bad DM, to be able to alienate millions of players.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.