The "Lokathor finally started an SR game" topic.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

The "Lokathor finally started an SR game" topic.

Post by Lokathor »

Shadowrun 4e + EotM + Frank's BP Advancement + a few other misic houserules.

Current Player Roster:
PlayerRaceArchetype
MichaelDwarfHacker (EotM)
HunterElfStreet Sam (Taser+Katana)
GregHumanAdept (Sniper Rifle)
CharlieTrollMagician (custom tradition)
DavidDwarfStreet Sam (Grenade Launcher)
CatElfStreet Sam ("Lots of Guns")
CodyHumanTechnomancer (EotM)

We also had a player who was sick but has been wanting to play a Human Technomancer. Another player showed up half way through and I handed her the sheet of an older character who had been killed (Elf Street Sam v1).

It was pretty cool, it was also a very easy run because it was rather late and I didn't want anything that dragged out. The first three players listed finished up a run from last week and then the other players joined in. They were hired by a gang (unnamed) to knock over the 3rd floor of a rival gang's operation (the "Northland Sphinxes"). They did so with sniper rifles, machine guns, fire elementals, and a grenade launcher. They also didn't bother with masks or disguises when they walked in or out of the building. At some arbitrary time in the future I can have fun with a "the rivals strike back" scenario. Perhaps as soon as next week, but maybe not. First they'll have to survive LoneStar coming after them for such obvious public lawlessness (obviously).

My only worry at this point is that everyone in the group other than the Mage has 3IP (the Adept has 4), so they kinda walk all over a lot of things. I changed the rounds to be 20 second each tough, so that reinforcements or whatever can maybe potentially show up. Then again, they leveled the entire (poorly guarded) 3rd floor within about 1 round anyways. I guess that seems normal for shadowrun though.

Next week the character who didn't get to make her own character will have her own, and there will also be 1 or 2 other new players (with characters made ahead of time).
Last edited by Lokathor on Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Lokathor
Duke

May 15th of 2010

Post by Lokathor »

Game started off with only 4 players present:
*Dwarf Hacker
*Elf Street Sam
*Human Sniper Adept
*Human Magician

It had been 4 hours since they knocked over the gang base in broad daylight. The hacker and adept had low lifestyle in appartments, the magician had a medium lifestyle in a small condo complex built on top of a skyscrapper, and the elf lived on the streets. They'd all just gone home to eat (or find hookers, in the elf's case).

4 hours later:
``"Okay, Hacker, you get a Matrix Perception I guess."
"Fail"
"okay you're distracted I guess"
``"Adept, you get a perception check at -4"
"5 hits"
"you hear a noise outside your door"
"I grab my gun like the paranoid paramilitary that I am"
``"Samurai you... you're a bum. They don't find you I guess."
"No, I'm in the van"
"Well, they found the van"
"Then I'm not in the van"
"Okay whatever"
``"Mage, make a perception check at -4"
"zero"
"then you're also snuck up on."
``"Okay Hacker, your front door explodes in and 3 guys with shotguns come rolling in. Adept, you too with two guys. Mage, your door flies apart and two guys with guns rush in." *begin simultaneous attack by enemy forces*
The adept went first, shot both guys in the face during the first pass, and then proceeded to just "check their wallets" and take their stuff and pack up his things and get out of town. I kept asking "anything else?" every single pass, but he never bothered to send a message to check on the others.
The hacker pulled out his megapistol and a gun battle ensued. He managed to barely win at the end and he hobbled away back to his van to go get the others. As with the adept, he at no point bothered to check on the others via commlink.
The Magician got shot at, used edge like a madman, turned invisible, managed to evade attacks even by a 3rd attacker (mage on the skyscrapper next door), brought up his suspended Fire spirit and it managed to eat one of the shotgun guys. Sadly, they managed to bring him down with spray fire out of their shotguns as he tried to get out the back door. The fire spirit fought on and got stunbolt'd into oblivion as he chased after the other shotgun guy across the roof. The mage was captured.
*checks sheets*
"Willpower + Firewall huh? Okay mage roll Willpower"
"I have a firewall too."
"No they took that."
"Oh, right, well 1"
"Well then some Veracity 3 ideas get put into your head."
"Oh awesome, what ideas?"
"Well, you've just been saved by the Northland Sphinxes, there was an attack on one of their facilities and you were heavily injured."
"Oh, right right, of course. How long have I worked with these guys?"
"About 7 years now."
"Oh, yeah, right."
"...So, does anyone want to save the mage?"
*group chats*
"No."
"Mage, you're an NPC, you can make a new guy if you like."
"Damn."

At this point, the other players showed up so the 6 people alive got hired for a thing while the mage made a new mage. The Job: Assassinate the prince of Freedonia, in Seattle (five days from now) overnight and then for the day for a pacific-rim trade negotiation (leaving that next afternoon). He was arriving late at night and staying in a middle to high end hotel across the street from the seattle pyramid (which is what I named that thing in the picture inside the cover of the SR4A), which is where the conference was going to be held.

Many plans were devised and then scrapped for one reason or another. Eventually they just arrived at "assassinate him as soon as he shows up in the hotel and then escape to LA until the heat blows off". "Wait, guys, that's in another country", "What!?", "yeah here look at this map", "...huh". So they forgot about going to LA. But they did hire a chopper to meet them on the roof so they could make their escape.

The plan involved getting the room directly below his (easy) and then blowing a hole up through the ceiling and then he'd die in the blat for sure (not easy, or for sure). They failed to kill him with the blast (3 HE grenades taped to the ceiling and the pins pulled out with some rope), so they took the elevator up 1 floor and began to kill people. First by bouncing grenades everywhere with a grenade launcher, and then the Hacker managed to RAS the guy they were after and the sniper adept just ran to him and shot the guy while he was on the ground. They proceeded to fight their way past guards and make it to the roof where the cargo chopper was waiting. The session ended with me awarding the mage's new character (Troll Mage with melee spells) 2 free ranks in "Pilot Aircraft" since he already had max reaction and then declaring that he was the pilot they'd hired. Next session starts with them trying to take off and escape, possibly with an air battle.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

:rant:

Does't matter the system. I hate the "I'm here, no I'm there" stuff. In every game.

-Username17
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

Also, classy teamwork there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

what a bunch of scrubs.

no team-chat; no conferencing; no one using their actual expertises; just a bunch of clowns using abilities.

I really hate games like that.

The whole "I'm there, no I'm here" BS is also BS. I use maps for a reason, that's one of them.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Well that much I didn't mind. That player is a classic case of trying to back seat drive all the other players when it's their turn despite not at all having the tactical expertise to do so, so I give him a hard time sometimes. "they found the van" because I knew he'd immediately not be there and I wanted to put him on pause for a bit because the "big" fights were the hacker and mage's encounters. The Adept overkilled both of his attackers in one attack each before they got their first action after kicking in the door. The Street Samurai isn't as much of a badass because he's more rounded, but it would have been mostly the same thing with him. Only the hacker and the mage were in any real danger.

On a side note, I quickly began to note that I need to keep much closer track of the characters that these people are creating. The previous group I played with was full of SR veterans from as far back as SR2, and so they knew to purchase all sorts of tools, to spread out their abilities, and so on. These guys are.... not competent outside of their focus. Part of that is my failure to explain "you all need to be able to do lots of things, that's what being a future criminal is all about", but the other half is me not paying attention and calling them on things when they forget about stuff, which lets them get away with the screw ups in the first place. One character is a lifelong min/maxer who has pushed his Sniper Adept into absurd specialization territory while leaving most everything else in the dust, and his character is even a public google doc so you can give it a look here (the sheet is a little off in one or two places because it's gone through several revisions, but you get the idea).

So this week, they needed to take off from the roof of the building that they'd been shooting to pieces, and "fly away". Because of circumstances, many players didn't show up and we started late and we ended early and were frequently interrupted during the shopping they did after the battle, so a new run wasn't started.

They had to use a helicoptor, but all the ones in SR4A and in Arsenal were kinda crap for what I wanted. I looked around online and they ended up with something like the Westland Lynx, which is the kind of chopper you see in movies where there's a sliding door on both sides and 2 cockpit seats and it's awesome. Stats in the block.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Helicopter_of_the_Brazilian_Navy.jpg
Body: 18
Armor: 8
Sensors: 2
Pilot: 2
Maneuverability: -1
Autosofts: Maneuver 3
Device: 3
The mage player, who is now playing a new mage, who was also the pilot of the helicopter, was absent. I had his sheet through and it said "Reaction 6" on it and I had given him 2 free ranks in Pilot Aircraft, so I just let him "drive" with his 1IP. Then I thought, "he'd have called up a fire spirit as they were taking the elevator up, let's see..." and I examined and so on. Force 4 seemed to be the minimum he'd call up (Magic 6 + Summoning 4), so I had the hacker roll 4 dice for the spirit. 5, 5, 5, 6. "Huh... well, okay Mage gets.. 5 hits... Adept, if you like, you can increase the spirit's force above 4 and say he called up a stronger spirit. Right now he'll only have 1 service, and each extra force point you add will add 1 extra die for the Hacker to roll and add to his existing 4 hits. How much do you feel like gambling?"
"Well, so whatever I say, Hacker rolls that many dice and he has to get 0 for the spirit to keep the 1 service? I don't feel comfortable saying much more than 2."
*Hacker rolls 2 more dice* 6, 5
"Well, it appears that the fire spirit failed to appear at all."
"Damn"
"Oh, right, drain"
"What?"
"summoning causes drain like spellcasting does."
"Oh, okay, how much is that?"
"Uhm... 6 + 3 from force is 9 Stun I guess. Resist with, uh, oh my, only 10 dice"
*rolls*
"Uhm... 1"
"Well the mage starts off with 8 stun then. You all climb in and manage to take off, you have 3 full combat rounds before enemies show up, I suggest you use First Aid"

They healed the street samurai who was knocked out (or 1 away, we couldn't remember) during the fight so she was able to wake up, and they took a few stun off of the mage so he was able to roll better piloting rolls. I explained the First Aid rules a little wrong (forgot about the threshold of 2), so I'll have to explain that again next time, but oh well.

At this point the rotodrones took off from the roof. 10 drones and 4 riggers controlling them from VR. The drones were armed with anti-vehicle missiles. How do missiles work? The book does a very poor job explaining. Something about a Sensor test against a vehicle profile to lock on, and then a lock does something... or... I don't know. I gave up trying to figure out how it worked exactly and ran it as being a Simple Action Intuition + Sensors vs Reaction + Pilot Aircraft test. If they won then they got +4 to hit with their attack (which was naturally also a Simple Action). The drone swarm was... 600 meters away at this point I decided. It was already suitably dramatic just because "anti-vehicle" was in the name of the enemy weapon, and the PCs were in a vehicle and everything, so I wasn't too worried about specifics at this point.

The hacker went into VR and proceeded to Denial up the riggers, giving them terrible penalties to shooting. The Adept used his rifle at long range and blew the drones to pieces. At first the drones kept having absurd luck on their soak rolls and so they lasted a bit longer than one might have otherwise expected. The sam who normally had a taser and kung fu picked up the spare machine gun from the other sam, who was using her elephant gun. They also shot down drones, and the riggers kept jumping back into healthy drones as the one they were in blew up. The helicoptor got shot down despite the mage running through all but 1 of his edge, though it was not overkilled (18 overflow boxes afterall), and so it drifted downwards slowly enough for him to try a crash landing (using his last edge). Everyone had to avoid a meager 4 stun from the crash, but all of the drones had been eliminated so after the crash they were able to make a safe escape with minimal witnesses (remember that this was a little after 10 at night, so there was still an okay level of night traffic going on). They proceeded back to the Adept's house, after deciding that it was the safest place in the city for them to be.

They then got paid 25,000NY for this job, plus they had a lot in reserve. Shopping! Oh wait! Where's the van? No one could remember.
"Uh, ....Datasearch I guess to find your own van" (a better roll would have placed it in a better location)
"4 then" (which is averageish for him at his skill level)
"it's, uh, it's back at the hotel in their parking garrage. If only you'd given it the rigger adaptation!!"
"I was poor then"
"Well roll Logic, just logic."
"still 3"
"You remember, Oh yeah, It can still drive itself."
"Oh, right, how do I make it do that?"
"Logic + Computer to issue a remote command. A better roll makes it better able to deal with complex situations if they come up while it's making it's way back to you."
"2"
*I roll 2 dice* 2, 6
"It makes it back to you safely."

The taser and melee sam got himself some Rating 4 Alphaware Muscle Augmentation. His strength went from 2 to 6. This made his Katana deal +2 damage, which is way cool. He's now down to 0.16 essence, so he's got an expensive road ahead of him. He also got himself some actual Rating 12 Plastic Explosive, because the HE Grenades taped to a wal weren't cutting it for what he wanted.

The gunslinger sam got herself some better guns, purchased the cyberlimb (obvious arm) that she needed for the cyberholster that she's erroniously purchased without an associated limb. She also got herself some better guns, and some goggles with smartlink and flare comp and imagelink and vision +3. She's still sitting on 4.8 Essence, so there's lots of room for expansion later on.

The Hacker got a Math SPU and some other stuff, I forget what really. He was going to get that cyberware that gives you +1 to all logic linked skill uses, but it ran him out of money so he decided to get a few separate cheaper things instead.

The Adept got himself a super sniper rifle. It's listed in the sheet I linked to above in the post. He also noticed that you can get explosive ammunition. 23 dice to hit with a (9+1)P damage sniper rifle that has AP -(4+1). Oy.

Next week's mission? Break into a facility to steal a mage formula. The catch? The formula isn't on the servers, it's scrawled on the walls of the facility by the mage working on the formula. But all the walls are perfectly white when they get inside... because the ink is only visible to astral perception. I think it'll be a nice twist, there's been a big lack on the magic in this game so far.
Last edited by Lokathor on Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

No shadowrun this week. During my last post I forgot about the anime con this weekend.

The adept player began to investigate Technomancers, and he came up with several questions about strange edge cases and such, to which I had to come up with several answers, some of which were easier than others. The ones that I can recall are printed below for folks to review. There might have been other calls I made that I can't remember which I'll post later if they ever come up again.
Question: Why doesn't a technomancer just project into VR and then go up to Zurich Orbital and go through the faraday shell and then ruin the bank?
``Answer: Not only would they have trouble crossing the dead zone to get up there, but they would also be unable to cross through the shell because if a faraday protection reduces a signal to less than 1 the signal is blocked entirely, despite signal 0 normally having a range of 3m.

Question: Threading? What's up with threading? Your forms already have a rating equal to your resonance, but if they are capped by system then when your resonance gets high your system will still be capped at 6 (or maybe 7) and so you're stuck. If they're not capped by system and they're capped by resonance then there's no point. If they aren't capped by anything then threading is godmode.
``Answer: Maybe you can thread up to your resonance + grade. Maybe you can use threading on software on devices you have even though it's not a form. Probably you can't actually thread anything unless you're threading it up from scratch.

Question: Hacking on the fly? What's up with that? Can if I have a commlink 4 with armor 4 can i hack it up to 6 then add a commlink 6 to the network and then activate the program will it run at 6? what if i...
``Answer: Yeah, if you change your network configuration at all then it just invalidates the hack on the fly action. They're that fragile.

Question: So I can just Merge into an enemy drone?
``Answer: Uh, no, they'd get a resistance roll. Pilot + Firewall I guess. Same thing for normal jumping in with VR.

Question: Could you hack on the fly to make a super pilot or autosoft program? Pilot is uncapped, so could you improve a pilot 6 up to pilot 12 and have a mega-drone that lasts until you turn it off?
``Answer: Uhm, no hacking or threading with pilot or autosofts, that's just a weird can of worms.

Question: So I project into VR and go attack a network and I get crashed out which knocks me out but my med-bot uses first aid and so I wake up in next round. What are my system and firewall values? Right back up to full, or do they have to boot up like a device? Are they just full unless I'm asleep, then they're 0?
``Answer: Well, if you go to sleep normally... then it shouldn't drop to 0, but if you're crashed then it should... but it's silly for sleep to be different based on if you wanted to be asleep or not... so... maybe if you're crashed you have to reboot and that proceeds if you're awake or not, and once that's done then you're at full, and if you go to sleep without crashing then you're just at full all night.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Mission Summary:
There is an old warehouse on the southwest edge of seattle. Under the warehouse is a bunker complex that's three floors deep. Within this complex there is new magical research being performed by the Renraku workers there on a single spell that can act as an entire collection of spells. They are attempting to uncover a way to make spell formulas "generic" and not connected to a single tradition. Why bother to make so many products when you can sell a single product over and over again? Your team must break in, recover a complete copy of their work so far, and then leave as little trace as possible that you were ever there.

Mission Details:
The three floor underground complex consists of
[*]Floor B1: A security floor. The ground level only leads to this floor, and then you must cross through this floor over to another elevator to get to either of the lower floors.
[*]Floor B2: Mundane supplies, magical supplies, lounge, a small sleep room, and server room. People mostly come here to eat on breaks and the researchers sometimes work all night and sleep within the facility. The security detail for the facility is relatively light because it's disguised as an insignificant warehouse.
[*]Floor B3: This floor contains the actual magical research. The entire floor is a single open room that was filled with a great collection of glass wall panels to partition the space. The panels contain the spell notes of the progress that the research group has made. The notes are written onto the glass with astrally active pigments that are physically clear but perfectly visible via astral perception.

The players will have to break in and make their way down to B3. The mage will need to scan his vision over all the designs using astral perception and then he'll be able to copy down that memory into a computer using a basic brain scan once they've made it back out.

Use of explosives or guns within the third floor will risk shattering the glass and ruining the research notes. Players will need to rely on flechlette ammo, melee attacks, and/or mana spells if they want to fight while on B3 without significant risk of harming the notes that they're after.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Wow, I'm really surprised at the results. The mage player was sick again and so I just had the formulas be written on the glass using normal pigments instead.

They scouted out the place and saw that people dressed as hobos were going in and out regularly. So they snuck up on a hobo and took his stuff, then went in as though they belonged. "They" being the street sam, and he was wearing a directional micro-retransmitter along with a trideo microcamera in his glasses. The Hacker was a ways away in a hotel room in VR, and the Adept was in the same room watching the camera's feed in an AR window making lots of "Observe In Detail" checks, because that's all he could contribute.

So the Sam goes in and get to the elevator down to B1. There's a single button that just send the elevator to the other location (since it just goes between 1 and B1). Hilariously, he wanted the hacker to do something or other to try to predict what the button would do when you press it. "How would I possibly do that?". Tad paranoid, and hilarious.

He gets down to B1 and bluffs his way past the guards at the front desk. At first the two front desk guards were quite worried that they don't recognize him at all, because he didn't use any kind of disguise, but then he just said "Oh, uh, The other guy sent me in without calling ahead", and I let it slide because he had 5 hits against their 1.

They made him stock the food he brought and then come back. He goes into the kitchen and puts the food away and then tries to think of his next move. They have the hacker pull up some realistic looking spell formulas for the Sam to copy down and then he was going to deliver them to B3. He didn't know what a real formula looked like, so the front desk guards probably didn't either. They believe him again because he's actually quite good at Con, and he gets down to B3.

He begins to look about and try to scan his vision over every panel to collect a complete copy of the information within the room. Then they could just sell the video back to the Mr Johnson and the Johnson's employers would be able to compile it into useable data with super-brain-computers whenever they get around to actually trying to use it. He gets about halfway done when one of the two projecting mages in the room manifests and demands an explanation of what's going on. At this point his explanation begins to break down, but the physical paper with fake formula drawings on it wasn't usefully visible to the manifestation in the first place, so he just put down the papers near the mage to get to later and slowly made his way back out. He fumbled some stuff and went to go get it convincingly, and manged to get about 90% of the room recorded in total.

He gets back up to the top floor and the front desk guards tell him to go down to B2 and help out for the inspection later on. Instead, he tazes both of them in a single pass with a quickdraw, and this alerts the hackers on B2 via their biomonitors that something is up. He asks the hacker to make up something, but Fabricate requires a Connection, which would be not very helpful. Instead he just bolts for the elevator. Some guys are sent to inspect what's up, and they get to B2 and see what's going on just as he gets up to 1 and begins to bolt for the exit. The enemy hackers lock the doors but the team hacker is able to Jedi Trick past the door and the gate. They actually get away with very little trace, other than the fact that the Sam's face was on camera a whole shitload.

They take their 90% video back and hand it over to the Johnson for 20,000NY. It was short, but pretty good. We quit early to go play capture the flag with some friends down town.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The infiltration missions are always the most fun, I find.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

This weekend I put the player of the hacker character in charge and I played an Orc Magician (Sheet Here). He has never GM'd before, and his entire experience with shadowrun is just from playing in my game. I told him on the sunday of last weekend so he had an entire week to read books and stuff.

My Orc is supposed to be an Ex-Lonestar agent who worked in the Magical Response division. Due to some sort of Matrix calamity (so far undefined, probably just during the Crash 2.0), he lost his identify with them. Instead of trying to pick up the pieces, he turned to shadowrunning. It's not that he loves the law enforcement aspect specifically, he just loved the challenge of taking on new mages every day. Shadowrunning does that just as well as anything when you just lost your SIN.

Players This Week
PlayerRaceArchetype
HunterElfStreet Sam (Taser+Katana)
GregHumanAdept (Sniper Rifle)
CharlieTrollSorcery Aspected Magician
MeOrkMagician

My tradition is "Warlock", which is the Intuition tradition I made up that "the corps hire most often when they need an intuition magician" (because they already have hermetic for logic and shaman for charisma). Spirits are Guardian, Guidance, Air, Man, and Task. Oh, and the other magician is a troll that's using Wil+Cha for drain resistance, because he's sticking by the "Thousand Swekel" tradition he made with his first mage (who was an Elf with Cha7). It is silly, but passable, and fits the running joke he's built up about his characters always being incompetent at what they try to do regardless of game system or any other concerns.

So we were hired by a Johnson to destroy an AI that had been stolen from them. 17K to keep it fairly quiet, or at least keep it from being traced back to them. We were only given a map to the building's location, and no other info about what they did.

We did a Datasearch to try to get some research on the building's contents. I got 1 hit and was able to place the minimap we had of the area into my larger map of the complete city. Yay! The Sam did a check despite his horrible chances (2 dice) and managed a critical glitch. "you think that the stuff you're looking for is on the third floor". Oh, and I had also found out that the first two floors were a sporting goods mega-store.

I scouted out the area by going to the sporting store. I got me some 100m rope and Geko Tape Gloves with spare cash because I didn't have any and they seemed to be both practical and the kind of thing I could buy at a large sporting goods store. Looking up at the third floor from the second using astral perception didn't reveal anything particularly obvious. Later I flew back with Astral Projection and scouted a bit more. Two mages there saw me and tried to tell me to move along, but then I heckled them about how "we're all on UCAS territory here, who gives you the right to tell me where I can and can't go? Who do you work for that's so important?" and so on. They didn't want to actually say who they were working for, so we both just grumbled and scowled and went our separate ways.

Now, lacking a hacker, we had to come up with a plan for how we'd destroy this AI. We figured that if you just physically ruined all the machines that the AI was being kept on then that would do it, and we had a whole 4 kilos of grade 12 C4. Use C4 on the server racks to break everything. A better plan has never been devised, ever.

So we go up to the building at night. I'm projecting, and the other three are going in on foot. The Sam looks for a blind spot in the exterior security cameras and climbs up the building (4 stories) onto the roof. There's a roof access and a "break room" shed. He ties off some rope and the magician and adept climb up too. I believe it was at this point that the Magician cast a force 6 with 6 hits Improved Invisibility spell on the Sam. Oh, did I mention how they were gonna get in? They would make a distraction down on the ground floor by blowing up the front door with C4, then all the guards would go down there, and then they'd sneak in via the roof. I called up a watcher to count how many people were in the building at the moment, and then while it was counting them I called up a Force 6 guardian. Due to some unlucky rolls I ended up with only 1 service (0 drain though, after soak).

Why did we do all this? Because the roof access was maglock'd and no one had a key or way to bypass it, so the plan was to just kick in the door, which would have been loud and obvious if there wasn't a distraction.

Having now set in motion the second best plan ever which would lead to the first best plan ever, the guard in the shack and a janitor in the shack run out onto the roof to see what the blast was. I was manifesting at the time and talking to the physically invisible samurai. The other two were "hiding" on the side of the shack that didn't have the door, out of line of sight. They end up seeing only me, standing there manifested for seemingly no reason:
```
Guard: "What? What are you doing here?"
Me: "Uhm, There was an explosion! Quick, you go check to see that everyone is okay, and I'll go get reinforcements! Hurry!" (Con: 2 hits on 4 dice)
Janitor: "Uhm, Okay" (0 hits on 2 dice) *runs over to the edge and looks down*
Guard: "Uhm" (1 hit on 2 dice) "I guess" *begins going to the edge*
```

At this point, the samurai gets the idea
"i'll run up behind him with my sword to his throat, and tell him to give me his keys"
"But, if you do that, and you're invis, then he'll struggle against the weird invisible force, and then with your sword to his throat he'll probably just die"
"Then I'll just hit him in the face with my katana and take his keys"

So he did so. The Janitor had gone all the way to the ledge right away, and the guard had kinda gone more slowly and he was kinda eying me too in the process. The samurai ended up putting the guard 1 overflow box away from death with his attack, and he took his keys.
GM "are you going to do anything about the janitor?"
Sam "Uhm, he's at the edge looking down? I'll push him over the ledge"
GM "Whaaaaat?"
Sam "Yah, he'll fall right in front of the doors that we just blew up and cause more of a distraction."
GM "That's a terrible plan"
Sam "I do that"
Me "you'd probably make an unarmed attack against him or something, and if you get enough then he's knocked off the ledge"
GM "Sounds fair"
*rolls all that*
GM "Okay, he falls off the building"
*I looked it up, a 24m fall deals 24P damage*
*GM rolls 0 on the soak test*
GM "He goes splat"

Whatever, we have the keycard inside now, so we went in. We went down the stair well to floor 3 and explored around. There were no computers, but there was a single large space in the middle of the floor that no door led to. I went through the wall and found that it was part of the computer complex, and there were some stairs up to the 4th floor. We had to go up and then we could go back down. So we go up to the 4th floor, but by now the guards have begun to organize and some of them find us on the 4th floor. There's only two at first so the adept uses his sniper rifle to kill them mega-dead. I go look around the corner and see four more guys approaching, so I use my Guardian Spirit on them. He was force 6 with Elemental Attack (Shock) and Natural Weapon. He looked kinda like Zeus and he could throw lightning javelins, or fight with it in melee combat. My spirits were quickly taking on a greek mythos kind of theme, and everyone liked it, so I went with it. He eliminated 3 of the 4 guys by the time the adept even got around the corner and sniped the last one.

They made their way into the server room and the hackers in the building were beginning to use some signal attacks. However, The adept had 4 in Electronic Warfare with a Signal Defense spec, and the Sam had 2 with a Signal Defense spec, so with him assisting the adept, the signal defense on the team was quite strong. They didn't manage to get a Backdoor or anything. There were also two mages hiding at the far end of the room. They called up a Fire spirit, but then were shot dead in an instant by the adept, and the spirit went away on it's next action (we decided that it worked like banishing when the summoner died).

They placed the C4 and I called up a second guardian spirit. The plan was for them to get away, set it off, and then I'd hang around and have the guardian smash up whatever was left over. They did that, everything got broke'd, and then my spirit materialized and broke'd it some more.

Johnson: "You... weren't that discrete. But you did eliminate the AI, so here's your money"

And then I used my money to buy a better Firewall and IC program, along with a Terminate Connection program. I also considered getting one of those Rigger Capsules you can get for vehicles (that armored coffin kind of thing) and then keeping it in my apartment and staying inside that while astrally projected. I only had 5k spare after my software stuff though, and I wanted to keep cash on hand for the next mission. We also got 2 BP, which puts me well on my way towards my first initiation.

Michael will also be in charge next week, we'll see what happens then.
Last edited by Lokathor on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

We needed to kidnap a guy. He was in a building, ward Force 4, on the 8th floor out of 12 floors.

First plan: Blow up the whole building, and knock it into the adjacent buildings with C4. Dumb plan.

Next plan: Sneak into the building and capture him. Better plan.

We snuck in, but with no matrix stealth at all. The hackers immediately noticed us, and began to try to crashing us. We manged to get in an elevator up to the 5th floor when they shut it off. Before we went up to the 5th floor the sam attatched C4 to the other three elevators.

He got out of the elevator and climbed up to the 8th floor, I was going to climb but I got a nasty crit glitch on my test and fell on my ass without even getting anywhere and so I gave up and made my way into the 6th floor just to get out of the elevator shaft. The troll mage went onto the 5th floor invisible, and began to eat food out of the lounge. The adept climbed up after the sam lowered a rope and followed him.

The adept had a headjammer6 boosted up to 11. He was off the matrix basically. The sam was under attack by 3 out of 4 hackers at a time for a few turns, during which he prepped blocks of C4 and gave them to the adept and the adept used them as grenades to kill folks. The sam eventually crashed just as he got to a hallway of one way mirrors. One of the hackers was behind the one-way mirrors, and RAS Tasered him, and began to blackhammer him several times. The Sam set off all his C4 in the elevators to cause a panic, but this really just made everyone more alert and afraid of us instead of less. The adept looked about but couldn't figure out which room the hacker was in time because he didn't have enough move speed, and so the sam got impatient and didn't want to get blackhammered to death without doing anything else cool, so he blew up himself with the C4 he had remaining on his person.

I remembered after a bit that I had Detect Life as a spell, and managed a 6 hit cast with no drain. I detected the fuck out of that building. There were two hackers on the 7th floor that I detected, so I sent a guardian after them (Sam + Adept + Kidnapping Target + defending soldiers on the 8th, me on the 6th, troll mage on the 5th). He was kinda effective, but after the C4 went off I began to bail because I didn't want the building to come down around me. I recalled it and had it smash out the nearest exterior window and then smash the ward from the inside. Then I summoned an Air spirit and had it fly me away. Well, more like just glide me to the ground slow enough to not kill me, because Air spirits aren't that strong and it could movement on itself carrying me to slow our tumble down to "don't die" speeds.

Summary: 100% botched mission, including a member dead for no reason at all.

EDIT:
We did get 1bp though, for doing stuff and surviving. I used it to pick up Manabolt, so now I can break wards without having to resort to the help of a spirit.
Last edited by Lokathor on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

PlayerCharacter
MichaelDwarf Hacker
HunterTroll Adept
CJ (new player)Troll Street Sam
Alyssa (new player)Elven Street Sam

The mission plan was based on one of the short stories in Seattle 2072. There was a package moving across the city in a secure data box, there were 5 couriers with 5 routes, all they had to do was prevent one of the couriers from getting to the destination. Everything else was being handled by other teams. The people they were supposed to stop would leave the facility, go to the north docks, get on a boat to the south docks, and then ride another car to the destination.

The plan: Intercept them at the docks.

The hacker got into a cyber-cafe across the street and went into VR. CJ's Sam took up his personal helicopter thing and scheduled a tourist flyby around the city, with a plan to shoot at the guys on the docks from the air. The other two hung around the docks in disguise (facial sculpting and a generic ski-mask), and planned to just shoot the people normally.

Pass 1:
[*]As soon as the guys they were following got onto the boat Alyssa threw a HE Grenade into the boat.
[*]All the guys on the boat immediately jump off the boat into the water or on the dock. The guy with the case ended up in the water.
[*]Michael took some time to Backdoor the boat.
[*]CJ thought the situation was under control, so he didn't deviate from his flight plan or anything yet.
[*]Hunter killed both of the guys on the dock. (He was out of the room for a bit, so he went last this pass.)
Pass 2:
[*]Grenade explodes, but everyone is out of the boat, so the people in the water take just 1 damage, and everyone else takes no damage. The boat survives.
[*]Alyssa ran up along the back edge of an adjacent boat and shot at the guy in the water with the case, killing him.
[*]Hunter jumped onto the boat and shot at the other three guys in the water, killing them.
[*]Michael used Master Control on the boat.
[*]CJ continued to play it safe.
Pass 3:
"You haven't actually destroyed the case yet, it's sinking though"
[*]Alyssa threw another HE grenade into the water after the case.
[*]Hunter was about to try turning on the boat and such, until it was explained that michael was about to pilot it away, and so he just waited.
[*]Michael jumps into the boat.
[*]CJ flew back to his airport, and avoided being associated with any part of this.
Pass 4:
[*]The grenade went off underwater. "I, uh, there's no way the case survives that."
[*]Alyssa hid in the tiny cabin of the boat.
[*]Hunter also ducked down to avoid beign seen.
[*]Michael attempts to pilot the boat away and out of the harbor.
"You see Michael, techincally this is the part where you fail to move the boat at all because you can't default on Pilot Watercraft. But that's a dumb rule in this case, so roll reaction, which for you in VR means roll intuition, and -1 for defaulting of course."

Round 2: Sirens went off everywhere. "All citizens be advised: Do not move from where you are. Knight Errant will bring the current situation under control in a timly manner and then you can return to what you are doing. Thank you.", and so on. Michael begins to speed away and rolls 1 on his "getaway" check. I roll like 8 dice for the guys chasing after him, but no hits at all.
"Uhm... you hide in a fog bank and kill the engine, and they speed past you."
"This is acceptable."

So Michael took the boat with his two companions in it down to the very south end of the water, which I vaguely recalled to be the lava flats. They got out and beat feet back north on land. They ended up wandering through gang territory. Alyssa jumped roof tops to avoid them (Agility 10, Athletics 7, Stealth 3). Hunter looked up if there were any trolls in the gang, and actually got 6 hits on a Research check. "Uhm, yeah, I guess there's one. His name is Steve... uhm, you don't know how to say that last name, it's in Or'zet. Anyways, yeah, he's in the Ancients." So Hunter used facial sculpt to look similar to but not the same as Steve, and then once he was stopped by some gangers he made up a bunch of claims that he was Steve's long lost brother and that he was looking for him. They didn't know what to make of it, so they just got his email and sped him on his way out of their territory. CJ calmly took his coptor back to the airport and went back to the cafe via bus. Once Alyssa and Hunter were back into some better areas of town they got a taxi each and also headed back to the cafe.

"Hmm, this is a whole lot of time passed. Uhm, Michael, what do you roll against Who Is"
"Just Matrix Stealth"
"Okay, roll that"
"Three"
"They got four"
"Damn you"
"Make an Intuition + Perception check, -6 for being in VR"
"Oh my..." *holds up 1 die then rolls* "ah! 1 hit"
"You feel some handcuffs being put on you"
"Oh dear"
"Uhm, I guess they'd take your commlink next.. oh yours is internal, isn't it? Uhm, roll Willpower + Firewall, they're trying to just remote deactivate it."
"Three"
"They fail then. Make another perception check"
"Zero"
"Well, you don't feel it physically, but suddenly all of your Matrix Perception goes dark. Your best guess is that they just shoved a Faraday Hat on you."
"Damn; I make a virtual sandwhich and eat it."
"You are arrested Michael. Roll the veracity of your Fake SIN and see if you can get a hit."
*roll* "Uhm... can I use edge to reroll misses?"
"Yep, it's just a normal roll."
*re-rolls all 6 dice* "Uhm... I get a critical glitch. Four ones and no hits."
"Oh my... you... uh... not only do they see that it's a fake and take it from you, they forget to process you at all, and you're stuck in holding without any listing for a week."

Well, it was about time to wrap it up, and next week michael wasn't supposed to be locked up (The Sniper Adept player was going to run an adventure in the jungle). So, he made up a story about how he'd been taken in for porn spamming and they'd just misplaced his files, and then he burned an edge to make the rest be handwaived away. They charged him a 5,000NY fine and let him go. Then he got paid 10,000NY for the mission (along with everyone else getting that much), so he had some money. Also, a Criminal SIN. He can try to get rid of that next week.

All in all, a fun time.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Michael and I realized the other day that, on top of the fact that his Fake SIN failed to pass and was taken away, he had all sorts of restricted and forbidden gear. The items they can just not give back to him when they kick him out. He's also got restricted cyberware (wired reflexes 2). What the hell would Lonestar even do about that? Ignore it since he was only in holding and so they wouldn't perform a cyberscan (seems unlikely)? Find out about it but not care and let him out anyway (maybe)? Not let him out at all and we retcon that part into him having to make a new character (dick move, but seems most plausible)?

Any thoughts folks?
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Restricted gear there might be some wiggle room on, but forbidden gear is totally out of the question. I'm not sure what he was carrying, exactly, but Lone Star does not take kindly to that sort of thing. They sure as hell aren't going to turn him loose with it.

If he had any plausible means of hiding his gadgets or weapons, you might give him a retroactive Palming vs. Perception check or something, but odds are that if he was thoroughly searched he's kind of screwed.

You could alternately let him burn a point of permanent Edge or something to get a lucky break and say that the guys who took him in were too lazy to give him the full pat-down and that as a result they didn't notice most of his illegal equipment or whatever.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

You could also do the classic "Lonestar wants to use him to help track down whoever gave him the illegal 'ware" (which is still rather unlikely, but at least slightly plausible, especially if Michael's character past means he actually has a chance at accomplishing something against them.

There's also the more general "Lonestar lets him go on the condition that he agrees to secretly work for them." This is dependent on, again, how skilled he is as a hacker and what connections he has that would make him a good undercover agent. Either of those options could also be relatively good for driving further runs as well.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

This illegal gear list is based on a slightly old sheet I have on hand:
Ares Viper Silvergun (R)
Fake SIN 6 (F)
4 HE Grenades (F)
10 Flashbang (R)
Wired Reflexes 2 (R)

And yes, he burned a point of edge to just get out of jail "mostly free".

I like the bit about Lonestar wanting him to work for them, because it seems to me that they of course want to get an upper hand on Knight Errant just like any other corp battle for profit.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I was GM for last week's session.

We had a lot of people show up:
CJ: Street Samurai
Alyssa: Street Samurai
David: Street Samurai
Hunter: Adept Gunslinger
Michael: Hacker
Daniel: Magician
Charlie: Magician (aspected Sorcerer)

This was unfortunate, as it slowed down combat on a combat-heavy run. It didn't turn out really poorly, but I think the experience would have been improved considerably if we had kept it to a 4-5 man team.

Here is the introduction 'Mr. Johnson' gave the team:
When the Ring of Fire reawakened in 2061, it triggered eruptions and earthquakes all over the Pacific coast. Some things were buried, others uncovered. At the time, Japan and its megacorps pulled most of their forces out of the Americas to deal with the turmoil in the homeland. This left much of South America... unstable. Only recently have the Japanacorps been able to re-establish themselves in the region.

This leads me to my main point. Shiawase has uncovered somethingE in Peru. A group of their geo-engineers searching for mineral wealth found the entrance to an ancient temple. They were unable to explore the ruins, but the recording of the exterior were most interesting. They indicate that the temple contains a magical artifact of interest to your client. They would be willing to pay for your team to extract the artifact before Shiawase the chance.
They were offered 15,000 Nuyen, travel to Peru and back, and whatever they could fetch for non-magical wealth they found along the way.

The temple itself was located several kilometers outside of the nearest village, which meant Matrix connectivity was basically null. The players were provided an overhead map of the area to help them navigate, but after a glitch on the Navigation test and low rolls in general, it took them the better part of a day to find their way.

The temple was being guarded by a small contingent of Shiawase security personal with pistols and tasers. The players massively outranged the poor goons and took them out with little trouble - the two guards who fled into the mouth of the temple were cleaned up by Daniel's Guardian spirit.

They secured the camp, but there wasn't much there the players were interested in. There was a stationary satlink, the stuff the guards were carrying, and some survival supplies in the tents. The temple entrance was located inside a small cave. However, Micheal was feeling kind of down after having most of his equipment confiscated last session, so he David, and Charlie volunteered to stay up at the camp to watch for any more disturbances. Daniel went into astral projection mode and left his body up top as well, though he and his summoned spirit followed along with Alyssa, Hunter, and CJ down into the temple itself.

The first obstacle was a long twisting maze with symbols on the walls, inhabited by a pair of guardian paracreatures. The mage sent out a watcher, but it returned after going in circles. They tried following the left hand wall, which is a wonderful strategy in mundane mazes, but ineffective here. Eventually, they sent a watcher up to fetch the hacker, who was the only person in the party which logic even worth noting, and had him work out the puzzle of the symbols on the walls.

However, a bit short of the goal they were attacked by the guardian boars, who were statted similarly to Barghests. They knocked out a couple of the party members with paralyzing howls before being mowed down by the gunslingers. Michael's character decided he had done what he needed to get done in the maze and headed back up the surface.

At about this point the camp party got a message on the satlink, but because none of them speak Japanese and were unable to communicate with the folks underground, they were unable to respond.

Out of the maze, the temple party noticed and avoided tripwires for a primitive trap, and passed through heavy stone doors to the temple's innermost chamber. It had a golden orb on an altar, and ceremonial trinkets, some in gold and silver. The golden orb was magical, and after they took it off the altar, the doors closed, a mana barrier was erected around the room, and three rating 5 spirits of beast in the same of giant venomous snakes were summoned.

The snakes opened by attempting to use Fear on the gunslinger types, but two of three were thwarted by low rolls. One snake was injured and another destroyed in the ensuing volley of bullets - one remaining snake landed a Fear on Hunter, who packs the most punch, and another attempted to take a bite at CJ but missed. CJ and Daniel managed to mop up the remaining spirits pretty quickly with bullets and stun bolts.

The temple party was only part of the way back when the camp party, rejoined by Daniel (who had sped back to the camp, leaving his spirit to carry loot) and Michael, got a message that troops were incoming. The previous message had been attempting to contact the Shiawase guards, and with no response the worst was assumed and troops rushed out. Charlie provided invisibility for himself and Michael, David hid in a pile of the dead Shiawase guards inside the mouth of the cave, and Daniel threw up a Physical Mask, pretending to be the Lt for the first bunch of guards.

However, Daniel did not do well on his Con check, and ended up with tasers being pointed at him. Other soldiers went to check out the tents, at which point the whole situation quickly devolved into a chaotic melee. The end result was that Daniel was unconcious and Charlie injured, but the runners came out victorious. They commandeered the chopper the Shiawase folks had arrived in to ferry them back to the village, where they took their flight back to the states.

---

My only real comment is that in the future, if I want to give runners a combat challenge, I would rather throw a large quantity of enemies, and focus less on the quality of the individual opponent. The amount of firepower even a single gunslinger can output is ridiculous, and trivializes combat when you've got three gunslingers focusing on a small number of targets. When it comes down to it, the only fight where there was real tension was the fight the gunslingers were not present at.

On that thought, the party is loopsided towards dealing with physical threats - if they ever seriously get attacked by hackers or magicians using Control Thoughts on their gunslingers or anything like that, they may be in serious trouble.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

This week was terrible. It was supposed to be a "king of the hill" type of mission where they had to defend a small island against people trying to claim it for a week. As a reward they'd get paid 7,000NY and get real and authentic Salish Council SINs, along with all their current gear being registered as legal, even if it was normally forbidden.

Except one of the players has been sinking every nuyen he has into a suped up personal-coptor, and he had some vehicle mounted gatling gun with a 2.5km range on it. He just shot at everything that approached anywhere near the island and killed it without possibility of retaliation. Methods that could have countered or destroyed the cannon would have destroyed the rest of the group in the process, and a TPK is never cool.

So I just waived my hand and skipped to the end and they had won.

Next week we'll get back to issues like the legality of a stealth copter with a weapon mount.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Jul24 (last week) was pretty cool. Easy, but cool.
PlayerCharacter
GregoryElf Mystic Adept (Face/Infiltration)
MichaelDwarf Hacker
CJTroll Sam/Pilot
CharlieTroll Aspected Sorcerer Magician

Mission:
[*]Obtain a specific young girl from within the city and deliver her to a safehouse. Another team will take it from there.
[*]Pay: 17,000NY.

Events:
As best as I can recall...

First of all we spent a good deal of time explaining to CJ how completely flagarently illegal his helicoptor was, and how he basically couldn't keep it. Instead, I offered him a full nuyen refund on however much he'd paid to get it along with all it's upgrades, and instead he got a Citymaster along with some cool upgrades.

The Hacker, who was still nearly broke, got himself a Rotodrone with an Ingram White Knight installed. He could now send some physical help into a situation without endangering himself. He paid minimum price for the hardware, but got some copies of good Pilot and Autosoft. The plan is to get the same model of drone if this one is destroyed (seems likely to happen eventually), and then transfer over the programs without losing them as well.

So they get hired to locate a girl and deliver her to the place. They datasearch that the girl is in a NeoNET research facility. They dress up as janitors and go to the local head office. There, they datajack into the secure server and hack up a copy of the personel records and transfer records. They get noticed but not caught, and make their exit. They get in the Citymaster, turn the paint to match the NeoNET logo and dress up like NeoNET workers. They Fabrication a transfer order for the "bio sample" in question, and then walk in to the facility using the ID data they got before.

They go down and have to open up the keypad on the door to hack the door to open, but they get it open. Once open, the girl's three sprites immediately attack what she takes to be more NeoNET workers causing her troubles. They knock her out with a gel round to the face and the Sentry sprites aren't able to do anything after a Tesla burst because she's knocked out (they needed her to form Connections for them to work with).

They carry the unconcious girl under a Physical Mask up into the car. From there they drive off the lot, but the physical mask doesn't interfere with her RFID tags, so when they scan the vehicle everything checks out fine. They take the girl to the safehouse and get paid.

Things go great when Hunter isn't around. The Jul31 summary (today's game) will be up later. Hunter was around, and things didn't go as smoothly.
Last edited by Lokathor on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.