General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

stolen souls is getting one hell of a beating on dumpshock
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:stolen souls is getting one hell of a beating on dumpshock
Thread link plox?

EDIT: Uniforms are 16F? WTF?!
Last edited by Longes on Tue May 20, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Here you go.
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=40498

edit:
depends on the uniforms i guess
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:Here you go.
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=40498

edit:
depends on the uniforms i guess
They differ in price from 5k to 15k nuyen, but all have the same availability of 16F.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Who's uniforms are they?
You don't get genuine Uniforms anywhere aside from working for whoever uses these uniforms or taking them off of somebody working with these uniforms today either.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Dude. Uniforms come from uniform supply companies. Some companies will require you to give a story about how you need the uniform of a specific corporation or military outfit because your niece is in a school play, and some of them will just let you buy one no questions asked. Taco Bell makes tacos, not shirts. The Taco Bell uniform is provided by a third party contractor that gives zero actual fucks what anyone does with a Taco Bell shirt once they have been paid.

Further, lots of corporations force their employees to buy their own uniforms, which means they get to keep them after they stop working for that company. Uniforms show up in thrift stores all the time. If you had a day to hit the thrift stores and flea markets in a major city, you could sport the uniform of half a dozen corporations having spent less than twenty actual dollars.

Military uniforms are a bit more costly (due to higher demand, mostly), but are even easier to get. Military surplus stores have a variety of military uniforms in a multitude of sizes on the rack at all times. Your entire team could get completely authentic military uniforms for the locally relevant military outfits with a twenty minute shopping trip.

That's one of the reasons the entire world collectively face palmed when the Kiev government announced that their proof that the Russian separatists in Donetsk were Russian military was... that some of them had fifteen year old spetsnaz uniforms on. Of course, anyone in that part of the world can get a fifteen year old spetsnaz uniform in under an hour by going to a military surplus store and buying one that fits.

-Username17
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

Schwarzkopf wrote: But it is terrible. It is known that it is terrible. Is it not a secret. Why did people buy it? Why are people buying it right now?

Someone explain humans to me. Explain psychology. Explain the RPG Market. Explain consumerism.
Nobody is satisfied with their current rules, so they buy the next edition, hoping it'll make the setting they love more playable.

The RPG community has become used to dealing with awful mechanics. Whether it's vast power imbalances like 3E caster vs. non-caster, or whether it's completely nonfunctional systems like the SR matrix. The Oberoni fallacy exists because the RPG community as a whole have all had to at one time or another see beyond some very awful rules. Saying the rules of one particular game suck isn't even a surprise to anyone familiar with RPGs, because there isn't a single RPG rules system that doesn't suck for one reason or another.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Nobody is satisfied with their current rules, so they buy the next edition, hoping it'll make the setting they love more playable.
But, but, but, but...SR4 is better than SR5. No one should buy SR5. SR5 is fucking terrible. It's like being unsatisfied with your penis because it's kind of smallish, and solving that by burning it off with a blowtorch and replacing it with a HIDEOUS SCAR.
Saying the rules of one particular game suck isn't even a surprise to anyone familiar with RPGs, because there isn't a single RPG rules system that doesn't suck for one reason or another.
I can think of a few RPGs that I don't think suck, but maybe I am using a narrower definition of suck than you are.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

SR5 has finally matrix rules that work! Also rules how to fire bows... :roll:
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Schwarzkopf wrote:
But, but, but, but...SR4 is better than SR5. No one should buy SR5. SR5 is fucking terrible. It's like being unsatisfied with your penis because it's kind of smallish, and solving that by burning it off with a blowtorch and replacing it with a HIDEOUS SCAR.
There are currently people in the world who think that SR3 is better than SR4, and probably people who think that SR2>SR3 and SR1>SR2. There are people in the world who think that D&D4 is the best edition, and people who think that AD&D is the best. The bottom line is: people are fucking retarded. I backed Exalted 3ed. Later I read TGD and ancient textss of John Chung on balance in Exalted, but it was already too late to pull the money out. The point is - before I felt the suffering of a Twilight caste sorcerer in Exalted and tried to find out why it was so, I was thinking that the system is great.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

A relevant quote from the dumpshock:
I find SR5 clunky, unelegant, full of artefacts and mathematically not sound, with a heavy serving of wantonly introduced rules because someone wnated to correct some pet hate about SR4 (see the uselessness of knowledge skills and knowsofts, and how it's basically impossible to build a character who can speak more than one language).

Sure, SR5 is better than CPv3. It is also better than FATAL and Spawn of Fashan. But it is nowhere near what I consider a workable system, which is one that runs smoothly and facepalm-free without resorting to house rules.
I guess the question is, is it better than other SRs, i.e. 1,2,3, and 4? I only really know SR 1&2 myself, and I think that, overall, the 5 ruleset is better than them, but your definition of a workable system, which I am very sympathetic to, certainly does not apply to SR5, I agree.

I mean, back in the '90s, I would have laughed at the definition - almost nothing fit it, but in the last decade or so, that's really changed, and most newer game systems or editions do not require significant house-ruling (i.e. only aesthetic/taste stuff), whereas with SR5, I find I have several pages of house rules and growing (not dense text at all, but still!). Having come from D&D 4E (most recently), which required zero pages of house rules, that's quite a system shock, for me!

Run & Gun doesn't help matters - it doesn't look or feel like the elegant, setting-blended sourcebooks of SR1/2 (and 3, which I have, but have never run), it feels like one of those terrible "netbooks" from the '90s (i.e. "the netbook of guns" or "the netbook of cyberware"), where people just compiled giant lists of fan-generated content without regard for quality or consistency or style - only with nice production values - but the text is as questionable as ever.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

Schwarzkopf wrote: But, but, but, but...SR4 is better than SR5. No one should buy SR5. SR5 is fucking terrible. It's like being unsatisfied with your penis because it's kind of smallish, and solving that by burning it off with a blowtorch and replacing it with a HIDEOUS SCAR.
Yeah it is. But most people don't really trust the reviews and want to see it for themselves. The 4E core books sold really well initially, then sales rapidly crashed after that, so it's naturally to be expected that following a successful edition, the next edition will have pretty good sales to start.

And given how many problems 4E had, I don't find it too surprisingly that people will buy the 5E core to see if anything works better. Then they find it doesn't and get frustrated. Lets face it, Shadowrun has strung along people for 5 editions, where each one we keep hoping the Matrix actually works... and it never does. People will keep buying the game because they like the setting and the concept.
I can think of a few RPGs that I don't think suck, but maybe I am using a narrower definition of suck than you are.
Probably.

3E/PF D&D is probably the best there is out there as far as mainstream RPGs go, and the majority of the core classes (the non-primary casters) are underpowered garbage. Given that they've had 2 updates past 3.0 to get that right and haven't, I'd say that's pretty sucky. And sadly, d20 system is pretty much the best out there (and it's still not very good).

I guess 4E D&D is more or less sound if you can get past the agonizing boredom of grinding through it. Skill challenges also barely work and there's not much to do other than fight, but it's a minis game dressed up to look like an RPG, so I guess that's to be expected. I'd still say it's a terrible game because it's not fun for me, though I guess some people like it, so maybe that's very subjective.

Shadowrun (any edition) is just incredibly clunky, with matrix rules that are either totally nonfunctional or so slow that you ban hackers anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love the setting, but the rules are garbage. Even when they're not totally nonfunctional, they just take way too many dice thrown to resolve simple situations. I mean in the space of one attack, between dodging and soaking, you're going to roll at least 20d6 and that's way too many for such a simple action, especially since you're taking 2 shots per turn. If SR was just going to try to stand on it's rules set and not the flavorful well-detailed setting it has, it would collapse rapidly and nobody would use that rules set.

And those are more or less the mainstream RPGs out there. I guess you could add Call of Cthulhu and White Wolf in there too, but their systems aren't much better.
jadagul
Master

Post by jadagul »

Schwarzkopf wrote:
My computer has some hardware errors and has been glitchy ever since I bought it. Once I did an operating system update that made it much more stable. Since then I've done several more operating system updates. Each one has made it less stable than previously. But I still install all the updates hoping that this new one will make it all better again.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I posted this in its respective thread prior, but got little answer so....

Alright, I like Frank's rules on Recoil he made in a older batch of houserules. It seems to work and reward strong users, however it doesn't seem to allow Drones to wield automatic weapons without falling over. This is speaking of the biggest kind (Body 4), is there some ability to increase body that I'm missing in Arsenal, or the houserules?

Otherwise, looks like a decent fix is to make it armor instead, or add Body twice.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

This is a great case for why wireless everything is not worth it. Ever.
Last edited by Rawbeard on Fri May 30, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antumbra
Apprentice

Post by Antumbra »

Whatever happened to all the perfectly functional equipment that didn't need always-on wireless anyway?

Did it fall prey to Rogue Nanomachines?
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

It's still perfectly functional, but if you mention you would rather opt out of pointless wireless, your manhood might be questioned by apologists.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Wanna guess wether or not they are going to re-introduce the SOTA rules?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Antumbra wrote:Whatever happened to all the perfectly functional equipment that didn't need always-on wireless anyway?

Did it fall prey to Rogue Nanomachines?
Nothing "needs" wireless, because SR5 is supposed to be "all about choices" and they were trying to use what I defined as (and they obliged me in calling) a "carrot system." That means that turning on the wireless on an object gives you nonsensical benefits on every fucking object. And this is supposed to make you default to leaving enough wireless shit on that hackers have shit to do.

This has a lot of failure points, and SR5 managed to basically drive through all of them. But as far as things being perfectly functional without wireless, there are basically two ways that can happen. The first is that some items just straight up don't tell you what their wireless bonus is supposed to be - that line is simply missing on some items and apparently there is no bonus for turning their wireless on. The second is that a lot of items have wireless bonuses that are completely fucking pointless, leading the incentives for turning the wireless on so weak that sane people wouldn't do it.

So yeah, lots of things still function without wireless, but the devs have no idea what those items are because it's an emergent property of some really shitty writing.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The Smartlink for example.
Doesn't give bonus dice or whatever without the wifi.
And the reaction enhancers/wired reflexes are actually allowed to break the core game rules when wifi is activated and otherwise simply adhere to these same rules . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

The silencer's wireless bonus is my all-time favorite. It tells you whether someone heard the gunshot or not.

Also quite amusing is the text on gillie shroud, which mocks anyone who tries to stealth with wireless on, while the stealth suit gives you wireless bonuses...
Antumbra
Apprentice

Post by Antumbra »

So, glancing through Stolen Souls - some very unfortunate implications regarding magic and technology.
SS p93 wrote:A magician controls his magic the same way a mundane controls any of his skills: by using his brain. If the PF can control a magician’s brain, what’s to prevent her from utilizing her host’s magical skills to, say, cast a spell or trigger an adept’s ability? Assensing and spellcasting require three things: a link to the manasphere, innate magical ability—both of which are provided by the magician host—and magical skills, which are learned abilities. Add in a brain hijacker, and you’ve got a Matrix entity capable of casting spells.
The Matrix entity in question was also able to develop new powers while in its Adept host.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

and this from the guys that shat their pants at the mention of brain hacking.
JesterZero
Journeyman

Post by JesterZero »

To add insult to injury, despite the fact that enabling wireless is supposed to be the new normal, both the guards and the named NPC opposition in the first SR5 Mission are explicitly stated to patrol with their wireless turned OFF.

It's a rather blatant case of "do as I say, not as I do."
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Rawbeard wrote:This is a great case for why wireless everything is not worth it. Ever.
I disagree, in the comic apparently having remote access to a bomb through a networked monitoring app, lets you have full access to the bomb. So you can even make it explode remotely.
So if you can just add a wifi receiver to any device and then it allows you full access over all features of that device, then not having wifi enabled only matters for having products you can physically protect.
And even then, it depends on the range allowed between the wifi receiver and the device for it to become hackable.
Last edited by ishy on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.