Tome WLD, thing game. IRC/IM with maps

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I recommend the IRC route, because... well I did promise a certain kind of thing.

And the whole point is that PBP takes forever and never gets anywhere.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

IRC is that instant messenger software... thing, right? If we use that, do I need to download anything specific? I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.

---------------

Some details on setting and what kind of game we are looking at could be useful in the preliminary stages of PC design. The Aspect system used in this game practically mandates that your character have a least one driving goal, and those are a lot easier to come up with once you know what the world is like and the type of story that's most likely to develop.

Are the PCs going to be working together on some specific goal at the start, or just be a team of allied adventurers?

What power level do we start at?

Can we make up setting stuff in our proposed backstories (I'm beginning to come up with a concept, but it requires some fantastic locations and nations in particular places. My PC is going to be seeking a specific magical power site he read about that allegedly lets him control the weather on a large scale. Probably going to be viewed with hostility by at least one nation.)?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey douchebag, stop asking questions assuming something that hasn't been stated, and stop using th term "we."

Mask is perfectly capable of asking for more players, or creating a separate game that has nothing to do with this thread or my Tome group. But he has not done so. So you jumping in and just deciding to invite yourself to a private game that has nothing to do with you and involves me trying to get a DM for a small number of people that I like and feel like I owe something is really fucking douchy, and you need to stop and leave.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:IRC is that instant messenger software... thing, right? If we use that, do I need to download anything specific? I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.
You'll need an IRC client, whether actually downloaded or a web-based client (example: Mibbit). Of note on that page: if you happen to already use Opera, it has a built-in IRC client.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I'm not particularly interested in anything outside of an IRC tome game, honestly. I can get a group together for basically anything except tome games right here in town, and PbP dies before the first combat.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

sperg sperg speeeerg

Kaelik's got a point. It's a DM shuffle, not a new game yet Av, so don't step to me like you're already in. That being said; let's do an interest check: would the original players (Kae, Koumei, uber, the other one) like to continue the current game, or would they like to play something else?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm not sure I can be bothered dicking around with IRC games anyway. I was getting up at like 2AM previously, which wasn't a problem before, but now we're getting into Winter, and when it's cold, I like to sleep for more than half the day.

And getting everyone to show up at the same time on a regular basis hasn't worked so far.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I for one would like to continue with the current characters if we can. As for timing, we can work something out that works for everyone.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Kaelik wrote:
Hey douchebag, stop asking questions assuming something that hasn't been stated, and stop using th term "we."

Mask is perfectly capable of asking for more players, or creating a separate game that has nothing to do with this thread or my Tome group. But he has not done so. So you jumping in and just deciding to invite yourself to a private game that has nothing to do with you and involves me trying to get a DM for a small number of people that I like and feel like I owe something is really fucking douchy, and you need to stop and leave.
Mask_De_H wrote:
sperg sperg speeeerg

Kaelik's got a point. It's a DM shuffle, not a new game yet Av, so don't step to me like you're already in. That being said; let's do an interest check: would the original players (Kae, Koumei, uber, the other one) like to continue the current game, or would they like to play something else?
Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about the possibility of a new, entirely hypothetical game that was only tangentially related to this one.

That said, I think there might be a bit of overreaction here. As far as I can tell, I was just indicating that if a new game was starting, I might be interested. "We" was simply meant to mean "potential players"
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:sperg sperg speeeerg

Since apparently I count as a player, my first priority is a Tome IRC game. Second is and IRC game. I would hope something could be worked out for Koumei, because she is awesome.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:sperg sperg speeeerg

Since apparently I count as a player, my first priority is a Tome IRC game. Second is and IRC game. I would hope something could be worked out for Koumei, because she is awesome.
Seconded. Koumie is half the reason I keep coming back to the den (the other half is frank).
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well if the game could be delayed by, say, 3 hours, I would manage a lot better. My preference would also be a Tome game, this one or otherwise. I'll admit I can't be fucked learning a new system.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:Well if the game could be delayed by, say, 3 hours, I would manage a lot better. My preference would also be a Tome game, this one or otherwise. I'll admit I can't be fucked learning a new system.
Monday 3 hours later than it was would be fine by me.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:
Koumei wrote:Well if the game could be delayed by, say, 3 hours, I would manage a lot better. My preference would also be a Tome game, this one or otherwise. I'll admit I can't be fucked learning a new system.
Monday 3 hours later than it was would be fine by me.
Same here. That's 5 PM my time, so I'm perfectly good with it.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

I can't make that time and if I do I can be around far a maximum of one hour. Then I go to sleep.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Well, Monday @ 5 Central is good for so far, although it might cut into possible work times down the line.

Since Dominicus can't make it at that time, would you like to play Av? Also, should we continue where you left off, or do you want to do something different folks?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Mask_De_H wrote:Well, Monday @ 5 Central is good for so far, although it might cut into possible work times down the line.

Since Dominicus can't make it at that time, would you like to play Av? Also, should we continue where you left off, or do you want to do something different folks?
Thank you for the offer, but not right now. I just recently realized that I'm going to have more of a time commitment over the next week or so than I thought. I probably shouldn't join any new play-by-post games until I get back from the Renaissance Fair or learn for certain that I don't need to go.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:Also, should we continue where you left off, or do you want to do something different folks?
I'm okay with continuing from leave off, and I promise not to metagame in ways that suck, but do you have WLD? (And I have never read past the first half of section 1 anyway.)

And I'm definitely okay with doing something else, if you have your own campaign/module/whatever.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun May 30, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:Also, should we continue where you left off, or do you want to do something different folks?
I'm okay with continuing from leave off, and I promise not to metagame in ways that suck, but do you have WLD? (And I have never read past the first half of section 1 anyway.)

And I'm definitely okay with doing something else, if you have your own campaign/module/whatever.
I am also fine with doing something other than WLD with the same characters.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

If we use same characters, WLD or otherwise, then I'm treating the game the same as the WLD one: seriousness ~= 0, showing up == optional, character-investment == 0. Because that's what the character was made for: a dumb joke campaign where we probably die all the time and don't give a shit.

For a more serious game where I'm supposed to give a toss about my character, it would need to be level 5 at the lowest.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Koumei wrote:For a more serious game where I'm supposed to give a toss about my character, it would need to be level 5 at the lowest.
Since we all agree that Koumei is awesome, what's the thought on maybe just advancing our characters to level 5 so she'll show up?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I certainly agree with it. Especially since that makes my decision between Carthaz Conduit and Kaelik Conduit easier, since Carthaz is blanket better starting from level 6, and equal at 5.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Well, I was going to make a tongue in cheek game, but not one where life is cheap.

Plus, I like starting out at higher levels anyway. Characters @ level 6 (for the extra feat) sound good?

Game setting: The take is that you are normal people in a normal world that just happens to get invaded by an Underworld dimension, with the epicenter in your town. Given the power of Dungeons and Dragons classes self-fictionalization, you go forth into the abyss to figure out why the fuck these guys are stepping to your shit-hole town.

Or to become lord and ruler of the Underworld.

Or have meaningless sex with otherworldly beings. It's all good.

Character sheets in here or on MW if you've got an account, Level 6, everything with the [Tome] tag is fair game (vetted by me of course). Optimization isn't wrongbadfun, but don't be a J_E for the love of god. And since I'm still kind of new to this, if I ask, please explain how your character works so I can tailor stuff accordingly.

I don't take things like this ultra seriously, and I would like you to do the same. The tone of this game will be light-hearted and somewhat silly. Really, this is meant to be something to fuck around with: nothing more, nothing less.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well, I was planning on a Carthaz Conduit. With Tome stuff, as per my changes.

Was wondering if everyone would be okay with me combining both the soul eater feats into one, so that I get Devour the Soul and Essence Gourmand with one.

If that's okay:

Aasimar Conduit of Carceri:

Feats: Fiendish Dalliance (Devil), Soul Eatin, Bonus: Greater Teleport, Wings of Evil

Spheres: Expert Stone, Advanced Carnage

Will be creating the Myth Weaver based on the assumption that's good. Also assuming 32 PB, but what about items?
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon May 31, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Oh yeah, 36 point but, 4 BoG items, whatever mundane stuff you want. The combination Soul Eater feat is okay with me too.