Cashing In

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

This conversation is leading me to believe that this isn't going to be a PbP game...

I'm in GMT -5, Eastern Time. I get up anywhere between 5 am and noon, and go to bed somewhere between 10pm and 2am. The only things I can't reschedule are my choir meetings on Monday evenings, and Vocal lessons on Wednesday evenings.

That Talent looks nice, Komei, but I have yet to play in the system, so I dunno how it'll work out.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I can play more or less whenever. And yeah, I was hoping for pbp, because as Kaelik's game is showing, getting even three people in the same room at the same time is apparently too hard. But if it can be made to happen, then awesome.

I don't really care if it's a RT team or an Inquisition team, to be honest. I would probably go with an Adepta Sororitas in the Famulus path. So while that means it actually takes... the second Ascendant rank to get Chainsword proficiency, I can happily go Bolter and Power Armour, and then be a sort of face. Maybe take a Neuro Whip, denying enemies actions never hurts.

Unless it's more kick-the-door-in, in which case Celestian/Order Militant. Storm Bolter or Melta Gun, and bamf.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'd like to try out IRC first. If attendance is a problem, we can switch to PbP.

Hmmm... How about Sunday 2 am - 5 am GMT?

That translates to Sunday 10am - 1pm for me (I'm at +8 GMT). If Koumei is running off Perth time it should be the same for her.

For the_taken... That's 9pm to midnight Saturday

Sinister... that's 2pm to 5 pm on a Sunday.

Utterfail... CST is GMT -6 right? In that case it's 8pm to 11pm Saturday for you.

With this sked I can also recruit some of my other regulars to help pad out the numbers as well (They're California and CST people)

Also, guys, Rogue Trader or Rogue Trader rules but themed for Inquisition?

So far I have one vote for... "Whichever" :D.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

That timing sounds good, though it's been ages since I used IRC... If we are going to play Rogue Trader, I'll need the rules. (I call on the power of Google!)

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Sadly, I don't think I could realistically do that time - Sunday is RL game day, and that time in particular would go right through that. But do keep me updated on any possible changes - I would be interested in taking part.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Cool. If you want a custom career outside of those in the book, just tell me. Send me a concept and I can help you figure something out.

Also, just to clarify...

If we play Rogue Trader the pros and cons are the following:

1) You are filthy rich and start with a large space ship with a crew of thousands. Most people (even important ones) think you guys are cool.

2) While you're technically agents of the Imperium, you have a lot of leeway with dealing with all sorts of people. Rogue Traders are the guys who can actually talk to aliens and not be required to shoot them in the face immediately (albeit you still shouldn't be too chummy with them)

3) You can either adventure for fun and profit, or you can adventure for the betterment of the Imperium plus fun and profit

4) You get to discover ancient tech, open trade routes, found new colonies, and other civilization-building stuff.

5) Unfortunately, the Inquisition kinda despises you. And other Rogue Traders see you as rivals.

For an Inquisition themed game...

1) You have the authority to requisition crazy amounts of stuff from the Imperium, and you can keep doing it unless you keep sinking entire battlefleets for no apparent good reason. You also start with a large warship with thousands of crew, and your crew has been mind-wiped to be totally loyal. Unfortunately, people are scared of you rather than think you guys are cool.

2) You generally have to kill, burn, and maim anything anti-Imperium... which includes Xenos, Chaos, and Mutants/Heretics. Unless you go Radical.

3) Your adventures revolve around investigating and unlocking ancient mysteries, or hunting down notorious criminals.

4) You will be tempted by the ancient powers you unlock to also go Radical :P.

5) Most people don't like you. Even your fellow Inquisitors.

Or, to make things shorter... Rogue Trader is much more swashbuckling adventure while Inquisition is more of detective mystery. Both will involve nuking planets if you so choose.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Mister_Sinister wrote:Sadly, I don't think I could realistically do that time - Sunday is RL game day, and that time in particular would go right through that. But do keep me updated on any possible changes - I would be interested in taking part.
Argh. Lemme see the rest of the team's skeds then and try to work something out.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

For what my opinion is worth, I would prefer being part of an inquisitorial team in an Inquisition-themed game. I think I'd play an Interrogator (the rank of inquisitor above 'office newbie bitch').
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Rogue Trader sounds fun, though Inquisition sounds even more fun after going Radical. Sister Repentia Alita can easily be fit into Inquisitor story, though she be more appropriate in the Rogue Trader game... conundrum, lol

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Radical? That sounds like heresy to me!

Also, I'm 1:30 ahead of you, Zine, but close enough. That timeslot works for me (as do most others).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Actually, I'm in GMT -5. I should have said I'm in CDT (because of daylight savings). Also, I frequently work overnights on Saturdays, starting at 10pm (thats starting at 3 am GMT) and don't get home till at minimum 6 am (11 am GMT).

I haven't worked a Tuesday in weeks. But it really is looking like PBP may be the way to go.
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Right. Time to start making characters then.

The winds seem to be favoring an Inquisition-themed Rogue Trader game, so we'll go with that.

Everyone should make one character following these rules:

1) Rogue Trader Character Creation. Make a Rank 1 character, using the point-buy method for the stats (25 base for each stat, 100 points to spend on them, no more than +20 per stat).

Treat the "Rogue Trader" career in this game as the "Inquisitor" career. Having one is highly recommended.

Feel free to make your own origin paths if you feel the current ones don't fit your concept. Please submit to DM the bonuses/penalties gained by these custom paths, and adhere to the power levels of the existing paths.

Alternatively...

2) Make a Dark Heresy/Ascension character with 6,000 XP worth of advances.

-------

In both cases please include a short description of all talents taken (to help the DM during play).

Initial House Rules:

* For being part of team Inquisition everyone gets +10 on all rolls thanks to special Inquisition training.

* Once per round, one member of the team may also get an additional +10 for one action before you roll. This bonus may only be used once per round by the entire team - its use will be decided upon by a team vote. Please choose wisely when to use it. This obviouslys stacks with the above.

* The Rogue Trader/Inqusitor Career bonus is seperate from the above bonus. So the Inquisitor can confer another +10 as a free action once per round... assuming you have one on the team. This stacks with the first bonus, but NOT with the second one (so you can have 2 actions at +20, but not one action at +30)

* The Profit system in Rogue Trader will be retained but re-flavored. Instead of Wealth, the Inquisition team will have an "Influence" value. This value can be used to requisition more and cooler gear. It will go up or down depending on the team's success. Starting Influence level is 40. Equipment will still be restricted by rarity (i.e. best gear will only be found in highly advanced worlds)

If your Influence ever falls to below 5, the Inquisition may begin investigating if you've gone "Rogue".

* You will also be awarded with a Strike-class frigate for the campaign. You will get this ship upon completion of the first adventure (which is a combined test run and campaign prologue).

Exact configuration of the frigate can be customized. The ship will have 50 Ship points. You can also choose its starting characteristics instead of rolling for it (i.e. You can choose to have a Haunted ship)

* Rules for NPC Crew loyalty and morale for the ship will not be used. Inquisition ships are crewed by heavily conditioned men and women who have been practically mind-blanked into complete obedience (source: Ben Counter's "Grey Knights"). They will not rebel nor mutiny. However, sleeper agents (if any are onboard) may be activated if the Inquisition thinks you've gone Rogue.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

... Did I scare everyone off? >_>
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I'm not scared off - I just need to write a 3k word assignment by tomorrow on an incredibly tiresome topic, and thus, have had nothing to post that is constructive or interesting.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Alright cool, lemme get Rogue Trader and I'm in.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I'm not gonna have the rules before Sunday, so I can't stat up my character. :(

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Ah, ok. Thanks for the updates everyone. Just tell me if any of you have any probems with the rules.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

sorry, today was my actual D&D session day, I should have a character posted soon.
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Name: Sister Solaria
Origins: Schola Progenum
Path: Adepta Sororitas
Sex: Female
Divination: The wise man learns from the death of others

WS40 *
BS50 **
S40+4*(60 +6)
T40+4
Agi30+3
Int43+4
Per25+2
WP50+5**
Fel50+5**

Wounds: 11/11
Initiative: +3
Move: 3/6/9/18
Fate: 2/2

Corruption: 0
Insanity : 0

Protection:
Head 12 (20 vs Primitive)
Body 12 (20 vs Primitive)
Arms 12 (20 vs Primitive)
Legs 12 (20 vs Primitive)

Traits:
Sheltered Upbringing
Tempered Will
Schola Training
Skill at Arms

Talents:
Basic Weapons (Primitive and SP)
Pistols (Las and SP)
Melee Weapons(Primitive)
Pure Faith
--
Flagellant
Resist Fear
Unshakeable Faith
Armour of Contempt
Basic Weapons (Bolt)
Purge the Unclean
Peer: Administratum

Skills:
Literacy63**
Speak High Gothic43
Speak Low Gothic43
Common Lore: Imperial Creed53*
Trade: Copyist43
Perform: Sing70**

--
Dodge30
Common Lore: Ecclesiarchy43
Charm70**
Inquiry70**
Forbidden Lore: Heresy43
Forbidden Lore: Cults43
Disguise50
Lip-Reading35*
Secret Tongue: Admin43
Scholastic Lore: Bereaucracy53*
Scholastic Lore: Legend53*
Scholastic Lore: Philosophy43

Equipment:
Adepta Sororitas Power Armour
(Protection 8 to all locations, +1 Size, +20 S)
+Sabbat Pattern Helm
(oxygen supply, sealed, enhanced vision, comms etc.)
Thurible with 3 units of Drusine Incense (protection vs Corruption)
Ring of Suffrage (charm)
Chaplet Ecclesiasticus w/ 57 beads (identifying icon)
Livery of Order of the Sacrificial Lilac (uniform for armour)
Purity Seals (ort ort ort!)
Book: Rule of the Sororitas
Candles
Godwyn-Deaz Bolter
(60%, 90m, S/2/-, 1d10+5 X, Pen 4, Clip 24, Never Jams, Reload: Full)
+5 clips
+4 Psy-Cannon Bolts
(Holy, +5 critical, Super-Effective vs. Psykers/Daemons)
+10 Tempest rounds (1d10+5 E, Shocking)
+10 Hyper-Penitrators
(45m, 1d10+5 I Pen 6, Ordinary Toughness vs Prone, Tearing)
+10 Inferno rounds (catch fire)
+Lathe-Sarissa (65%, 1d10+8 R, Pen 3, Unbalanced)
Tube of Melta Gel (ignite shit)
Flask of Water
Emergency Kit (basic first aid, air supply, water, food, radio, sealant)
Various scrolls and tomes (for studying)
Ration pack (nutrious and delicious)
Book of St. Lucius (many Daily Prayers)
Many killsticks
Data-slate
Writing kit (parchment, inkwells, quills/calligraphy pens, wax seals etc.)
Quality robes and uniform
Lantern/torch
Laud Hailer
Portable Shrine

Solaria was born on Holy Terra, which meant she led a blessed life, right up until her parents were trampled to death during a pilgrimage to see the Emperor. Luckily, word somehow got back to her babysitter who, being a good person (but not so good as to raise her to adulthood and for free), had her sent off to the Schola Progenum.

It was there that Solaria discovered the merits of studying and working hard (being fed/not being shouted at), and quickly formed bonds of friendship with almost everyone she came into contact with. Good at cheering others up, she was almost surrounded by friends all the time.

Soon, she graduated and was accepted as an Initiate for the Adepta Sororitas, and soon after, accepted fully into their ranks where she was given her own boltgun and power armour. It was only after the [INFORMATION EXPUNGED BY ORDER OF INQUISITOR [NAME REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS]] crusade that her lively, positive attitude, skill with the written word, dedication to studies and ability to care for others and make them do as they are told showed her as a prime candidate for the Order Famulus.

Not long after this, she was placed into the Order of the Sacrificial Lilac, training to maintain communications between Orders, oversee marriages, provide counselling and take care of discipline within the Adepta Sororitas (with recommendations she look into becoming a Mistress). And so it was that when Inquisitor [CLASSIFIED] asked for a knowledgeable and personable Sister to join the team, she volunteered and was put forward.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Asterisks denote numerical advances taken (each one being +5 for a characteristic or +10 for a skill). Where Talents and Skills are listed, the first list is what the character starts with (note asterisks by skills, however), the second is for those purchased as advances.

the taken:
Once you get the books, here are my recommendations:
-Schola Progenum: Adepta Sororitas: Militant path
-high WS and S, followed by T and WP, then Agi, then you can pretty much make BS, Fel, Int and Per what you like.
-See if you can get a Rosarius or something similar (a forcefield) to protect your unarmoured body. That plus the talent I made up should keep you in the green.
-Inquisitor's Handbook (the one with the Adepta Sororitas) has the Eviscerator listed. This is THE Repentia weapon. Seriously, all Repentia have them in the table-top and you'll be very happy with it. Make sure to pick up Chain weapon training. Optional: get an Exterminator cartridge attached for a 1-use flamer effect.
-Go for Flagellant and all the "RAA ANGRY" talents, possibly even some Hatred ones. Needless to say anything that gives a melee bonus is YES.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Excellent.

Reviewing now, but so far so good.

Also, always assume you can always fully refill your ammo to your maximum carrying capacity in-between missions. So you don't need to list the total number of clips you have - just what you normally carry in a mission.

Rogue Trader rule is that when you buy a weapon, you buy it with a lifetime supply of ammo. Same rules will apply here. You're gonna get a Frigate with a cargo hold big enough to carry all the ammo you'd ever want. And you're part of Team Inquisition - you probably got a ton of ammo before you left the Inquisition bases around Saturn.

(Well, okay, this is 40K and there can never be too much ammo. But you get what I mean).

Also, replace your ration pack with high-end povender. Inquisition ships are properly staffed with professional chefs who can cook your favorite food and pack it properly for a mission. Unless your Inquisitor wants to be a cheap puritan bastard or is a radical vegan hippie :P.

Also, the_taken, if you're gonna go with Rogue Trader character creation rules, the simplest way is to go Repentia is to take either Arch-Militant or Missionary as your base career, and follow Koumei's stat and talents advice. I think Arch-Militant even gives you a +10% bonus for one particular weapon that you pick at char gen.

Just lemme check which book has the Rosarius/Force field so your almost-naked fighter isn't blown away for not wearing armor :P.

I'm not gonna be strict on the careers thing because let's face it - it's much cooler to make custom characters.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Thanks for the help, Koumei. I gotten my grubby little fingers on the core rule book, but since I'm now broke I won't be able to get Inquisitor's Handbook.

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Lemme type up the Inquisitor stuff for you when I get access to the books.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Um... I got the wrong book. What I got is a modification for WH40k which adds a few stats to every unit for more granularity in individual model's behaviour, but has nowhere near the granularity that Komei's character has. Also, it is entirely lacking anything about the Adaptes Sororitas. (Also, it treats the space marines as human... I think I've been had.)

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

>implying you can't find them all on Rapidshit

Also, I'll make those changes to my equip...