Gaming Den favicon?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

Gaming Den favicon?

Post by mean_liar »

Is there any reason why the Den doesn't have a favicon?
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

I never really thought about it myself, as I don't favortire anything here, i can just find it when I type www.tgdmb.com to get here.

I can only offer some speculation myself:

Nobody made one.
Nobody decided on one they liked.
Thee wasn't time to make one yet.

Those are examples on the administrative side of its importance, that may or may not be the case, and if consideration was made then it could actually be dealing with cost/functionality such as:

At 1k each page view will load icon. While this isn't much a problem for a user visiting, even that 1k would be sent to crawlers that look up website if robots are allowed to crawl the site. After an hour of crawling that could cut into the allowed bandwidth on the server and cause downtime. Likewise the extra graphics would make pages load slower, and this version of phpBB can be wonky when a page doesn't load up right away because an image got stuck trying to find and load. The icon may not be located in the TGD php directories and also give other info about the server that is not wanted aside from the potential for php/SQL errors arising from waiting for it to be accessed.

My best guess, would be it wasn't even thought about. But now I am curious as to what the design of the icon for TGD would be since you brought it up. Maybe fbmf's avatar?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

shadzar wrote:At 1k each page view will load icon.
Are there any browsers or crawlers that ignore cache settings?
Murtak
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Murtak wrote:
shadzar wrote:At 1k each page view will load icon.
Are there any browsers or crawlers that ignore cache settings?
Sadly yes.

Even providing something to tell a crawler to skip any part or the whole of a site, they are not forced to obey.

Bypasing things like nofollow, no-cache, etc are not a problem for crawlers that were not built to include those instructions so they just ignore robots.txt and any other "rel". Some are even built to just go download a page an archive the meta tags.

web.archive.org for a while did not obey robots.txt and cached all sites it found (it was instructed to go to by submissions), as well did Google. :sad:
Last edited by shadzar on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Of course they don't have to. Heck, I can fire up a one-liner and hammer the den non-stop. But is there a meaningful percentage of crawlers or browsers that are dumb enough to actually download the same image over and over again? Does any major crawler do this? Do Firefox, Opera, Safari or IE?
Murtak
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I know it came up on Nifty because I made that one. And I know that Opera will reload images over and over again - but only if you tell it to.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

If someone makes one, and fbmf approves it, I'll install it.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Murtak wrote:Of course they don't have to. Heck, I can fire up a one-liner and hammer the den non-stop. But is there a meaningful percentage of crawlers or browsers that are dumb enough to actually download the same image over and over again? Does any major crawler do this? Do Firefox, Opera, Safari or IE?
No. Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE, and Chrome all cache the favicon for a long, long time.

I know this from when I changed my wiki's favicon.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Murtak wrote:Of course they don't have to. Heck, I can fire up a one-liner and hammer the den non-stop. But is there a meaningful percentage of crawlers or browsers that are dumb enough to actually download the same image over and over again? Does any major crawler do this? Do Firefox, Opera, Safari or IE?
Well a browser CAN be set to cache or not to cache any part of a website, including the favorite icon. IE and Mozilla both have settings that will either not cache anything, ot dump the cache on closing.

crawlers and spiders on the other hand will try to get everything on every page. Not everyone would care about TGD, or any other website and how much band width is wasted by them crawling. It is like a DDOS attack, but where you just eat up all the bandwidth slowly rathat than prevent connection through full port and the website is out of bandwidth or gets hit with some large fee in order to remain open and operational.

The question is whether TGD or any specific site would be a target, such as the worry with pr0n-bots and anything else.

As it seems, Z is ready willing and able to install any fav-icon with the approval of fbmf, so the rest now seems moot, as Z does not see it as a problem here, and it is (and was) up to fbmf as to what to do anyway.

But I did enjoy the side discussion about it in general.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I'd also be willing to upload a banner, if somebody were to create one. It would need to match the forum and be no larger than, hmmm... let's say 450x150. I know that size will fit without disruption since it's what we use on Nifty. (The phpbb banner that appears now is 200×91.) And, of course, fbmf would have final say on whether it went up or not.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Silly question...should the banner go ahead now, or wait to see if you convert to phpbb3?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Now is fine.
You can't fix stupid.

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2197/romand20.jpg

A roman icosahedron used for some kind of unknown game.

Alternatively,

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9369/icosahedron.png

A basic icosahedron.

Last edited by mean_liar on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

...of course these can be sexed up a little - gradient backgrounds, FIRE, playing with the contrast, whatevs.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I'm fond of the Roman one, though I'd say moving it away from being sexed up and into simplicity would be better. Up the contrast between the object and the background, but keep the background simple, so it doesn't distract from the object itself.

Actually, the basic icosahedron works a lot better as far as simplicity goes, but the Roman icosahedron just looks really cool.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Simple is better just because of the size (16 x 16 is the final size of the image).

I like the simplified one, though I'd love to see it in colors that match the site.
You can't fix stupid.

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I'll see what silly little thing I can put together tomorrow. :)
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

At 16x16, every d20 looks the same so I did a simple one based on the colors of the site.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2544/simplew.png
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

That's actually pretty good given the size.

I approve!
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Yeah, that one looks really good.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

...Dice guys? Seriously?

Barrel. Rooster. Do it now.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

It's difficult to come up with ANYTHING unique or neato that's 16x16, Roy. Yes, it's uninspired. But it annoys me that there's no favicon at all.

Alternate ideas are acceptable but pointless bitching is, as always, worthless.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I was actually able to find both in the same picture!

Of course, it's only a single rooster, but it's a start.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think it looks good, mean liar, though for some reason the color strikes me as a bit too blue. But it's cool.

:maj:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.