Getting new/young players into RPGs.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Getting new/young players into RPGs.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

And by new, I mean... neeeeeeew. Mind you, in the age of MMORPGs and open roleplaying decay there aren't as many people completely unfamiliar to the concept of roleplaying, but there are still more than a few.

When I think back to my formative experiences, I can't help but think of a few things to get people interested in the game.

1) You have to stroke the player's ego during character generation. I really don't think this is hard. c/jRPGs have accustomed us to thinking that RPG protagonists are gormless halfwits who get led around the nose. One easy way for RPGs to get a leg up on other mediums is to make them feel IMPORTANT.

This means that your RPG should immediately throw people towards doing badass challenges, whether it's Saxon slicing open the belly of a snake or Fastjack Prime pulling off an O11's-worthy heist.

2) You have to immediately emotionally invest players into their characters. While experienced RPers don't really need this, it's completely incomprehensible to me that character sheets for 'beginner' RPGs don't immediately come with blanks for Family, Mentor, and Badass Establishing Moment. People for these RPs shouldn't be allowed to make a Rogue who just emerged from the thieves' guild. They should be fleeing the law in another country for fucking the Duchess' husband and daughter after stealing their Staff of the Magi, they should be tracking down war criminals who dishonored the Corellan guard, etc..

3) Character creation should be initially simple but provide people with easily attainable options. The carrot-and-stick approach, while gauche, does easily work its magic. People LIKE anticipating the badass things that they want to be doing no matter how experienced they are in the actual rules. Honestly, 4E's system of starting people off with a racial encounter power, class features two At-Wills, an encounter and a daily is actually a really good idea. But like with 3E, what they failed to anticipate is that people can actually handle an increased workload over time. If people like their characters then they can get a handle on what they can do really fast.

4) Characters new to the game should have an protected schtick. This is not negotiable under any circumstance. While your mileage may vary on whether combat roles are needed (I think they're also good for beginners, but not mandatory) the fact that the Warlord should have the lion's share of tactical- and morale-based stunts is not negotiable. In my experience with running both 3E and 4E that one of the surest ways to cause new players to lose interest is to have two players play similar characters.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ggroy
Knight

Re: Getting new/young players into RPGs.

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

0: Move away from gigantic book of stuff concept.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

5. Let them play something they understand. Not everyone has to start with Dungeons and Dragons, or World of Darkness, etc.; this is a setting concern, not system. I find that Star Wars is great for introductory games. because virtually everyone already knows and likes Star Wars. Standard fantasy can also work well, because of the cultural saturation of Lord of the Rings.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

World of Darkness is actually pretty good for new players because the mechanics are so simple. Not very good or well thought out, but simple. The setting isn't particularly complex either in terms of "what you need to know before you can even step outside", because if you're a new vamp/mage/wolf then the local politics and such (usually) gets explained to you as you go.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered