I moved it

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

neilhuiz
1st Level

I moved it

Post by neilhuiz »

Just wanted to let everyone know that as the server's reliability has gone south for the spring, I've moved the den to another location. If you are seeing oddities in site, please hold off a day before complain too loudly because they may be DNS related.

The search will also take some time to come back online, so be please be patient with it.

Thanks,
- Neil

Code: Select all

int getRandomInt() { 
    return 4; // obtained using roll of fair die 
              // guaranteed to be random 
}
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

And now search should be back online. I had to move that part of the database separately. You folks sure do use a lot of bloody words. The search index was over a third of the total database.
- Neil

int getRandomInt() { 
}
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I am thanking you with my words.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Seems to work better now. Getting intermittent errors still, but it doesn't seem to be actually stopping me from reading the forum. I don't know what this meas:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database PHP Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User phpbb_tgdmb has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in G:\Domains\tgdmb.com\wwwroot\db\mysql4.php on line 48
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Looks like the mysql user the forum software uses has reached the limit of concurrently running queries. Most stuff written in PHP is rather ungraceful in how it handles unexpected errors.
Murtak
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Too many people logged in at once?

Edit:
What Murtak said makes more sense.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Too many people on the board will probably be the trigger, but it is not the direct cause of the error. Looks like this is happening (mind you, some of this is speculation):

- Mysql is setup for a specific user (not a physical person, but rather an account). The phpbb software uses this user. This is as it should be.
- The user has a maximum account of concurrent connections he can open to Mysql. Again, this is as it should be.
- Instead of using a connection pool and politely asking for a connection (and just waiting if there is none available) the software just assumes there is going to be an available connection and blindly writes a request to Mysql.
- PHP by default displays all errors to the user instead of logging them. I am not a fan of this, but this is not technically wrong. This is why we can see the error.
Murtak
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

with phpBB there shouldn't really be any connections limit. It should all be handled by MYSQL which often has a max users set at 50 by default.

Which shouldn't make any sense that an error would occur here, unless TGD shares SQL with other sites. Then it may need be to increase the limit of users since more than one site is using the databases so SQL has enough slots open for "users"....better termed connections/queries.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

I'm going to operate on the assumption that error reports are useful to those trying to fix the problem, rather than fucking annoying. I got:

Could not connect to the databaseError in my_thread_global_end(): 1 threads didn't exit PHP Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User phpbb_tgdmb has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in G:\Domains\tgdmb.com\wwwroot\db\mysql4.php on line 48
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

Are people still seeing the my_thread_global_end() errors? I checked in on the limits set by the server and we are allocated a max of 1000 concurrent connections. This seems like a pretty reasonable number, so I'm not too worried about it.

As a side note, it appears that the application is using a connection pool of some sort as there are several idle database connections at any given time.

Either way, I will try to monitor this thread so please continue to report any more errors as you hit them.
- Neil

int getRandomInt() { 
}
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]

Thank you, Neil.

[/TGFBS]
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

neilhuiz wrote:Are people still seeing the my_thread_global_end() errors? I checked in on the limits set by the server and we are allocated a max of 1000 concurrent connections. This seems like a pretty reasonable number, so I'm not too worried about it.

As a side note, it appears that the application is using a connection pool of some sort as there are several idle database connections at any given time.

Either way, I will try to monitor this thread so please continue to report any more errors as you hit them.
Just clicked the link from the main index page to get to fbmf's last post above and at the bottom of the page...
Error in my_thread_global_end(): 1 threads didn't exit
Also on this very page "posting.php" it exists as well.

it no longer appears on the index pages for each forum.

I will come back and edit this post to see if it is occurring on the edit script generated page as well.

EDIT: posting.php does also show the exact same error when in editpost mode as well as quote mode.

just testing without posting, the error does not currently appear in posting.php when using new reply and going into reply mode, nor does it show when previewing a quick reply which utilizes posting.php with no mode.

So GET method modes with error are:
editpost

GET modes without error:
(nothing set for $mode in the form )

the error should be being generated in functions_post.php if i recall correctly...if that helps.
Last edited by shadzar on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Just got another one of them Neil. 8:10AM PST.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

neilhuiz wrote:Are people still seeing the my_thread_global_end() errors?
I got one perhaps a couple hours ago when trying to access http://www.tgdmb.com/
error message wrote:phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database Error in my_thread_global_end(): 1 threads didn't exit PHP Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User phpbb_tgdmb has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in G:\Domains\tgdmb.com\wwwroot\db\mysql4.php on line 48
I also got some sort of error just now when starting to make this post, but it redirected to the normal "post a reply" screen before I looked at it too closely.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Error in my_thread_global_end(): 1 threads didn't exit
This error is on the bottom of the screen sometimes. As far as I can tell it doesn't actually do anything though.
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

Ok, so I've done a little digging to see if there is an obvious root cause for these problems. There isn't. I'll start a detailed code review this week/weekend to see if there are any leaking SQL connections (i.e. dirty programming). I'm thinking that there are some, or that the connections-per-page count is higher than it should be. We should never see the max_user_connections limit with only a dozen people online, but we are.

If anyone is interested in helping with a combing over of some serious PHP spaghetti, ping me via PM or email and let me know. The more eyes on this the better.

PS: You guys have insane traffic so far this month. I haven't been paying attention lately but upon review, your year-over-year traffic has doubled! You are pushing 60k page views a day.
- Neil

int getRandomInt() { 
}
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Continuing to operate on the assumption that error reports are useful, the whole website went borked for me briefly (<1 minute) today at 12:57PM, with the main page and a bunch of threads all giving me the max_user_connections error.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Awww godfuckingdammit. Just got this about a minute ago.

Could not connect to the databasePHP Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on '74.52.76.178' (10060) in G:\Domains\tgdmb.com\wwwroot\db\mysql4.php on line 48
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Just got the max connections error:

Could not connect to the databasePHP Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User phpbb_tgdmb has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in G:\Domains\tgdmb.com\wwwroot\db\mysql4.php on line 48