[Tome of Tiamat] Warlock, but not a Spherelock

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

[Tome of Tiamat] Warlock, but not a Spherelock

Post by Kaelik »

Warlock
"Bad stuff happened to me once. Now I think about those things, and it makes me awesome."

Warlocks are all emos, and they think about bad things all the time. Some want revenge, and they focus on doing bad things to others, and some want to prevent it from happening to others. Most Warlocks aren't neutral, as they are usually powered by their emotions, specifically, traumatizing memories. They occupy all kinds of rolls in society, but in the party, they usually fit comparably to a wizard. They are especially good at utility functions, as every invocation comes with a utility use as well.

Warlocks have powers that are not quite as good as a level appropriate spell, but they can use any of a wide variety freely, so they can usually contribute by having a useful spamming tool. Using your emotions to create power is easy, everyone does that, but you have to be wise to do it right. Warlock abilities are based off of Wisdom.

Starting Age: As Sorcerer
Starting Equipment: 4d4x10gp
Alignment: Warlocks can be anything, but True Neutral is very rare.

Hit Die: d6
Base Attack Bonus: 1/2
Good Saving Throws: Will, Fort
Skill Points: 6+Int
Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, and UMD.

Level: Abilities:
1: Invocations, Thoughtful Discourse
2: Pure Hatred
3: More Invocations
4: I'm Not Sure I Like You
5: Better Invocations
6: I Like You
7: Loud Invocations
8: You Are Not My Mother
9: No Daddy, Not the Belt!
10: Louder Invocations
11: Remembrance
12: Can You Hear Me Now
13: Ringing Invocations
14: Forgiveness
15:
16: Special Invocations
17: Acceptance
18: INVOCATIONS!
19:
20: I'm So Happy!

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Warlock is proficient with Simple Weapons and Light Armor. They are Proficient with all Shields though, because they were traumatized as children, and want to hide from everyone.

Invocations (Iv): Invocations are a new type of ability. They are not Su/Sp/Ex or Spell. The characteristics of an Invocation are:

1) Invocations all require saying magic words of power. This is similar to a verbal component, but is more like the Word of the Holy Word spell. It must be spoken loudly, and cannot be silenced in any way. In fact, the subject of the invocation must "hear" the words to be affected. (Inward invocations must be heard by the target to take effect. Outward invocations create effects in the world, and don't give a shit about hearing.) Those facing invokers sometimes deafen themselves purposefully. Invocations are magical and ring out even in the area of a Silence spell, but cannot counter the deafening of a target.
2) Invocations are a move action unless specified otherwise. Yes, you can use two per round.
3) Invocations are subject to spell resistance, but do work in an AMF. You figure it out.
4) Unless otherwise stated, saving throws are DC 1/2 Invoking level+ability mod.
5) Every Invocation has a two paired uses. One is Outward, another is Inward.
6) An invocation can be identified with a spellcraft check DC 15+Invoking level. But if you can't hear the invocation, you can't identify it.

For Warlocks, Invocations are based off of Wisdom. Their Invoking Level is equal to the number of levels of Warlock (this class only cheaters) they have.

A Warlock Masters 2 Invocations at level 1, and Masters a new invocation at each level. He may take one of any type he has access to, scaling to More Invocations at 3, Better at 5, all the way to INVOCATIONS! at 18.

He always has access to any invocation he Masters.

Thoughtful Discourse (Ex): A Warlock applies the same wisdom he uses to manipulate his own emotions as he does others. Warlocks use Wisdom to govern all the Cha based skills other than UMD.

Pure Hatred (Ex): Warlocks hate people. As a immediate action, a Warlock can glare at a target, making them think twice. That creature will not move towards the Warlock this round if it fails a Will Save DC 10+1/2 level + Wis mod.

I'm Not Sure I Like You (Ex): A Warlock gains a +2 Dodge Bonus to AC and Saving throws against anyone they can see. They lose this bonus if they choose to interact with them in any way other than avoidance and combat.

I Like You (Ex): A Warlock gains a loyal compatriot that can never betray them. It is some mindless thing of CR two less than the Warlock, whatever that may be. The Warlock built it themself, and can make any changes they want on level up as long as the result is mindless and has a CR 2 less than them, including blowing it up and making a new one.

Non Leadership option: The Warlock designates an ally or friend. He commits a special invocation on the friend. He and the friend each gain a +2 Love bonus to saving throws when around each other. He always knows the location of the friend, and can look through his friend's eyes. If the Friend betrays him, this still applies, but he also gets a +7 Hate bonus to all attack rolls and DCs of Invocations against the betrayer. Only one ally may be designated at any time, and a betrayer must be killed to allow a new ally to accept the role.

You Are Not My Mother (Su): Warlocks don't like people who aren't friends. All enemies in line of sight get a -2 Bullshit penalty to saving throws.

No Daddy, Not the Belt! (Ex): You are so good at reacting to danger, you get an extra immediate action each round. This can be a swift action too if you want.

Remembrance (Iv): Warlocks remember when they were kids, and want to get away. So they do. The Warlock can teleport as Greater Teleport to any marked location from where they are now. They mark a location by being there and writing an emo poem while thinking about the surroundings. This takes one minute because Warlocks, like all emos, write poems that are way too fucking long, and also don't really rhyme.

Can You Hear Me Now? (Ex): Warlocks can cause invocations to emanate from anyone who agrees to wear an article of clothing given by the Warlock. This doesn't have to be the reason they agree, Bluff is a class skill, Capische? He can direct the invocation normally if they are within sight, or he can see through their eyes, but without any perception modes besides vision, and only the extra vision types (Darkvision, but not Blindsight) that the creature has. This does not allow the target to benefit from Invocations that grant abilities or buffs to the Warlock.

Forgiveness (Iv): Warlocks are making progress in dealing with their Freudian Devils. A Warlock can use this progress to help others. Warlocks can Atone others, as the Atonement spell, and Mindblank themselves and others.

Acceptance (Iv): Warlocks know their fate in life, and have come to accept it. They are under a constant Foresight effect, and they may use Divination at will.

I'm So Happy Now! (Ex): Warlocks are super happy. All their problems are solved and they ascend to Godhood.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Basic Invocations:
[*]Cold Whispers: Inward: A target within medium range is distracted, losing Dex to AC and taking a -1 penalty to attack rolls, listen, spot, and search checks for two rounds. Outward: Duplicates a Ghost Sound, Message, or Sending effect.
[*]Fearful Screech: Inward: Your words cause fear in a target within short range, making them frightened for two rounds on a failed will save. This is a Mind Affecting Fear Effect Outward: A Sonic Wave bull rushes everyone within 15ft of you, it uses your Invoking stat as Str and your invoker level as BAB, this effect gains a size bonus for each higher level of invocations you have mastered one of. You may push as far as possible, or stop at 5ft, and the choice is yours for each target separately. This is a [Sonic] effect that continues in a silence field.
[*]Bitter Weeping: Inward: Your tears grant you a sanctuary effect, it can be renewed as a move action, and has a duration of forever. Outward: You spend a move action crying and the tears form a small water elemental adjacent to you. This gains 2HD over the standard MM for each higher invocation level, and increases in size at appropriate HD levels. It does whatever you want it to for 5 rounds, then splatters to the ground dead.
[*]Bitching: Inward: You spend so much time bitching at yourself you ignore other peoples bitching at you. You gain Sonic Immunity, this applies to X Word type alignment spells, and you are treated as deafened when it comes to any Invocation you would rather not hear. You are also immune to Compulsions. Duration forever. Outward: You bitch at people really well. All your allies get a +2 moral bonus to everything for two rounds if they can hear you, and your enemies make a will save or take a -1 moral penalty to everything. This is a Mind Affecting Effect. This becomes a swift action when you Master a Louder Invocation.
[*]Noxious Odor: Inward: You cause a target in Short Range to fart, emitting an obscuring mist effect with their next standard action if they fail a fort save (caster level = HD). It does 1 Acid damage to everyone inside starting when they take the action. Outward: Make a ranged touch attack on a target withing short range. If it hits they are nauseated for 1d4 rounds on a failed fort save, sickened on a successful one. Yes, you fart that bad. This is a Poison effect that only effects breathing creatures. You may fart on an additional creature for each higher level of invocations you have access to.
[*]Waking Nightmare: Inward: You cause someone to see their worst fear, they are entangled in illusory something that prevents them from escaping/preventing/attacking this fear. They are entangled. This is a [Phantasm] effect. Outward: You get a mount. It is a Phantom Steed of CL=Invoking class level. You may create a new mount, but your old mount disappears. You get to have 10 mounts when you reach level 6.
[*]Wasted Life: Inward: You don't feel very good and waste away, becoming incorporeal for 2 rounds. Outward: You become acutely aware of your own failures, and notice how much better everyone else is than you. You gain Permanent Detect (anything that has a spell).
[*]Raging Gale: Inward: On a failed will save you can incite a frenzy in a target in long range that causes them to lash out against anything within reach for two rounds. They must make all attacks of opportunity provoked and must make at least one melee attack if they start their round within melee range of a target. This is Mind Affecting. Outward: You use Gust of Wind, like the spell. The speed of the wind increases 1 category for every two higher levels of invocations you have mastered, and becomes an immediate action when you reach Louder Invocations.
[*]It's Here: Inward: You can ferret out hidden enemies. You gain See Invisibility, a +10 to Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive, and you automatically see through Glamors. The duration is forever. Outward: You can make a silent image. This becomes any "X Image" spell that a Wizard of two levels lower than you could cast. It becomes a swift action when you have Mastered a Louder Invocation.
[*]Depression: Inward: You just don't feel like you have it in you today. You are not all there. You blink, like the blink spell for 2 rounds. Outward: You make a number of ranged touch attacks within short range equal to half your invoking level, round up. Each of these causes a target fatigue. You may target the same creature twice, they stack to cause a target Exhaustion.
[*]Madness: Inward: Make a ranged touch attack on a target in medium range. If it hits they are confused if they fail a will save, and they take 1 Wisdom damage regardless. This is a Mind Affecting Effect. Outward: You call to the Madness and it answers. You are protected by random chance, and are Blurred for the next 2 rounds. This becomes a swift action when you Master a Louder Invocation.
[*]Vengeful Gaze: Inward: You are really good at looking closely for someone to hurt. You get Darkvision 30ft +30ft per higher invocation level you have access to, low Light Vision, halved spot penalties, and you can ignore gaze attacks. Duration forever. Outward: You Glare really hard, and everyone within a 30ft Cone is stunned for two rounds if they fail a reflex save and a will save. If they make the reflex save but not the will, you are treated as invisible to them for the next round.
[*]Oh Shit!: Inward: Your fright allows you to run like hell. You and all your allies in sight gain a 30ft insight bonus to land speed for two rounds. This becomes a swift action when you Master a Louder Invocation. Outward: You desperately throw sand, make a ranged touch attack within short range, if it hits, and your target fails a reflex save, they are blind for one round. You can throw at an additional target for each level of invocation you have mastered above this one.

More Invocations:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Better Invocations:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Loud Invocations:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Louder Invocations:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Ringing Invocations:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Special Invocations:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

INVOCATIONS!:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Your class made me lol so hard. I look forward to the finished product.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A lot of this doesn't make any sense. Works in Silence (where there is no sound) but doesn't work on Deaf People (who can't hear sound) is pretty odd. Also, the thing where you use a five foot step, possibly twice, without restricting movement needs a fuck tonne of explanatory text, because the restrictions on movement within a turn that you use a five foot step are very integral to what taking a five foot step means.

Unlimited use fear effects should by an large never come with a multi-round rider effect. Shaken + Shaken = Frightened, so currently you can permanently fear kite someone who never fails a save so long as they don't have actual fear immunity. Low level SoDs are de regeur, but no save SoDs (or DNS as we call them) are not - not even if the character has to concentrate every round to keep it up or it has a 1 turn lag time.
  • Failed Save: You Die
    Passed Save: You can take one action, then you die
That's pretty extreme for people who aren't 7th level.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The concept is pretty hilarious though.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

FrankTrollman wrote:A lot of this doesn't make any sense. Works in Silence (where there is no sound) but doesn't work on Deaf People (who can't hear sound) is pretty odd. Also, the thing where you use a five foot step, possibly twice, without restricting movement needs a fuck tonne of explanatory text, because the restrictions on movement within a turn that you use a five foot step are very integral to what taking a five foot step means.

Unlimited use fear effects should by an large never come with a multi-round rider effect. Shaken + Shaken = Frightened, so currently you can permanently fear kite someone who never fails a save so long as they don't have actual fear immunity. Low level SoDs are de regeur, but no save SoDs (or DNS as we call them) are not - not even if the character has to concentrate every round to keep it up or it has a 1 turn lag time.
  • Failed Save: You Die
    Passed Save: You can take one action, then you die
That's pretty extreme for people who aren't 7th level.

-Username17
Thanks, I'll work on that.

The works in silence thing was supposed to just be 1) It's magical, 2) So that they aren't completely negated as a character by a level 2 spell.

The fear thing is actually worse than you put it because it's a move action, so they can pop out two a round and no one gets any actions that aren't running. I'll have to fix that. EDIT: Just made it a frighten effect. A single target save or die as a move action is enough at this level.

The 5ft step is supposed to be used on other people, I think I'll just make it a repulsion like effect.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
downzorz
1st Level

Post by downzorz »

"Unless otherwise stated, saving throws are DC 1/2 Invoking level+ability mod."

I think you may be missing a "10+" there.
Whipstitch wrote:Yeah, it should be noted that combat citations went from "Was super brave and inspiring" to "Killed like 40 guys by himself, no shit" once the machine gun nest was introduced.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

downzorz wrote:"Unless otherwise stated, saving throws are DC 1/2 Invoking level+ability mod."

I think you may be missing a "10+" there.
This is a defunct dead class that I will never finish, so... who cares.