Proposed Game: Desire and the Dead (Tome)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I'm unfortunately going to have to bow out of this game. I realized as I was halfway through character creation that I'm going to be in India from next thursday to mar 8. and my net situation is especially going to be completely touchy due to rural locations.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Kaelik wrote:Can anybody point to any good feats for the Totemist in 3.5 D&D?

EDIT: Even high level ones, got a second Totemist going at 15.
Personally, I like Danger Sense, Elusive Target, Giant Slayer, and all of the save boosters. They are generally useful even when playing a level 1 Wizard (Giant Slayer is better taken as a level 3 Wizard).
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Kaelik wrote:Bottom line, if I move action shaken everyone, and so do you, and so does everyone, then there is no reason to even fight enemies not immune to fear, so everyone will be.
Or I'll laugh and let the party take out the stuff in the module almost effortlessly. It won't even be too huge of a deal given that a substantial chunk of the module involves investigation work. But that may not be a desirable result of feat choices either. Hence part of the reason I suggested feats that do nifty utility stuff for people already competent at their jobs.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Cynic wrote:I'm unfortunately going to have to bow out of this game. I realized as I was halfway through character creation that I'm going to be in India from next thursday to mar 8. and my net situation is especially going to be completely touchy due to rural locations.
That's a shame. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:

Personally, I like Danger Sense, Elusive Target, Giant Slayer, and all of the save boosters. They are generally useful even when playing a level 1 Wizard (Giant Slayer is better taken as a level 3 Wizard).
??? Since none of those are 3.5 feats, I guess you missed the gist of that question.

None Tome source feats that might be good for Totemist.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

@ Kaelik: Improved Natural Attack, Cobalt Rage, Martial Study (Gloom Razor or something) -> Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), some other shit I don't know.

Speaking of Totemists, Is it okay if I come into this game as Frank's version?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:@ Kaelik: Improved Natural Attack, Cobalt Rage, Martial Study (Gloom Razor or something) -> Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), some other shit I don't know.

Last I checked, that was Kaelik's plan.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Kaelik wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:

??? Since none of those are 3.5 feats, I guess you missed the gist of that question.

None Tome source feats that might be good for Totemist.
Ah, you're right. Sorry, I should have read a bit more carefully.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:@ Kaelik: Improved Natural Attack, Cobalt Rage, Martial Study (Gloom Razor or something) -> Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), some other shit I don't know.

Let me rephrase again.

3.5 feats that would be useful to Franks Totemist, as that is what I am playing.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Improved Initiative
Ability Focus
Run
Save boosters
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Improved Initiative
Ability Focus
Run
Save boosters
don't forget improved run :D

seriously, why run?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:

Let me rephrase again.

3.5 feats that would be useful to Franks Totemist, as that is what I am playing.
Ability Focus:Call Totems

You know what, let me show you how you can be a totally powerhouse Frank totemist without using ability focus on Call Totems.

Skills: Max ranks in intimidate, 5 ranks bluff.
Soulmeld ability needed: +5 enhancement bonus to intimidate
Soulmeld attacks:
Corollax: Rainbow colors shoot off into a Short Ranged Cone. Creatures in the cone must make a Will save or be stunned for 1d2 rounds. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Pattern].
Krenshar: Screech causes target within Short Range to be panicked for a d4 rounds if they fail a Will save. This is a [Sonic] [Mind Affecting] [Fear] Effect.
Mephit: Breath Weapon of something weird and noxious. Extends to a cone out to Short Range. All creatures in the area must pass a Fortitude Save or be nauseated for 1d2 rounds.

Items: +Intimidate item

Feats: Menacing Demeanor, Master of Terror

Race: Aasimar

Give yourself an 18 charisma base (because you only care about your DCs and hp and are going to give yourself 10s in everything else). Now, your attacks all range out to 30' and are cones except for Krenshar (which is the longest duration drop from combat effect anyways).

Combat actions
Round 1: Move to a good position to use your cones. Activate Krenshar against any enemy that seems good to target. The DC is 10+1(1/2 level)+5(charisma), so many creatures might fail the save.
Round 2: Move action intimidate (mod of 6 ranks, 2 synergy, 5 enhancement, 3 feat, 3 competence, 5 charisma = +24, so everything fails) and then use one of your cones (effective DC 18 AoE action denial)
Round 3: If anything saved, repeat round 2, but use the other cone.
Round 4: If you didn't need to use a cone in round 3, then use it.
Round 5: See round 1.

Yeah, you can't do too much against anything immune to mind effecting and paladins are harder to hurt, but other than that you basically just AoE rape.

Stop fucking complaining. You can shut down encounters better than any other character listed so far. You'll be a little weak on defense, but shouldn't fucking care because you get at will glitterdust style encounter enders.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Cynic wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:Improved Initiative
Ability Focus
Run
Save boosters
don't forget improved run :D

seriously, why run?
It helps escape monsters you don't think you can fight. The Totemist also has abilities that recharge in rounds. If on one's own, with only a single effective soulmeld attack available, it may be advisable to use Run actions to stay away when recharging.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Um... Uber. When the fuck did you see me complain about the class I choose to play?

Answer: Not at all.

The only problem I am having is finding feats that work well with the class. This is not me complaining about the class, because I recognize that I glitterdust encounters, that's why I picked the class.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:Um... Uber. When the fuck did you see me complain about the class I choose to play?

Answer: Not at all.

The only problem I am having is finding feats that work well with the class. This is not me complaining about the class, because I recognize that I glitterdust encounters, that's why I picked the class.
And here's what the 'big' tome feats give at this level (seriously):

Juggernaut: I can actually use the overrun maneuver
Two Weapon Fighting: This is pretty much better than every other feat for warriors at this level. Not even going to try to deny that.

You know what Sinister's character has for feats? He gets edge against everything. That sounds good until you realize that his character can't actually pull off combat maneuvers with any regularity.

Fuck, god damn COMBAT SCHOOL (aka, everyone takes it) only gives out +2/+2, which is pretty much equal to ability focus or the shaken combo I provided (because your standard action attack isn't guaranteed to kill them).

So yeah, feats don't do that much for ANYONE at level 3. And really, that's ok.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Well here's my shot at a Totemist...thing. WIP.

Bloody Thorn, He of the Crimson Canvas

Race and Type: Human (medium tana'ri humanoid)
Class: Totemist 2/Soldier 1
Speaks: Common, Hobgoblin, Drow, Elven, murder
Allegiance: Art, Indiscriminate Death, Order of the Crimson Rose
Background: Veteran of the War Stabbing People In The Face

Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 16 (+3)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 16 (+3)

BAB: +1
Initiative: +2
Saves: Fort 4 Ref 2 Will 3
Proficiencies: BT is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as the Trident, the Kukri, the shortsword, the gladius, the light and heavy pick, the shortbow, the longbow, the pincerstaff, the net, the guisarme, and three other Exotic Weapons. BT is proficient with Light, Medium, and Heavy Armors in addition to Shields and Tower Shields.
Attack Routine: Longbow (+0 min) +5 1d8+1 x3 (+2 Dex +1 BAB +1 SoB +1 magic) or Claw +3 1d6+1 x2 (+1 Str +1 BAB +1 SoB)
Full Attack Routine: Claw x 2 +3 1d6+1 x2
Feats:
Product of Infernal Dalliance

Stances:
Improvisation: Bloody Thorn uses anything around him for his "art", whether it be large or small or still attached to it's previous owner. The zen flow of his expression bolsters his resolve. (Int to Saves + Human)

Strikes:
Sampling: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Plagiarism is the most fun. Bloody Thorn has been known to take what he wishes from others, usually through force. (Looting Strike).

Totems:
Passions Enflamed: BT paints in jagged strokes and blistering splashes upon his target, whirling like a dervish. The paints sizzle and burn the target to it's core, laying him low with the overflowing emotion within. (Enhancement to Dex + Flame Snake)

Awesome Glimpse: BT paints a glorious image of a sky no mortal has seen; the color and value giving it an almost immaculate warmth. Any touched by it is frozen in awe as BT grows stronger. (Save Bonus + Carrion Crawler)

Inhuman Attraction: This series of symbols flows in a strange and enticing pattern, the eye line going in a sensuous path to nowhere. The target is compelled to walk through the performance piece, drawn towards it's creator. The movement provides a measure of cover for BT, as the target's allies lose faith in their abilities to accurately target him. (Deflection to AC + Harpoon Spider)

Caustic Retort: Bloody Thorn makes a retort that burns in the target's mind like fire. His sneering remark is punctuated by spit that carries years of disdain. It sloughs off the target's skin as horribly as any acid. The mockery seems to make BT more attractive, in a masochistic way. (Enhancement to Cha + Ankheg)

Opium Miasma: BT unleashes the burnout after euphoria. It chokes out the sun, scratches at the mind, makes everything bleak and hazy unless they make their piece with the pipe. This effect grants BT resistance to harm, for the elements cannot do anything to him that he has not already done to himself. (Fire Resistance + Ash Rat)

Creative Void: Bloody Thorn releases the horrors of the uncreative upon his opponents, making them unable to see anything but their own boorishness. This effect wraps him like a cloak of nothing, making the weak and feeble "arts" of magic slide off his complex symbolism. (SR + Dark Mantle)

Howl of Genius: People fear what they don't understand, and no one understands true genius. BT is struck with inspiration and begins singing the wonders of his ideas at breakneck speed. This inspires fear and jealousy of the ubermensch in their midst, while knowledge flows from him like a sieve. (Enhancement to Int + Krenshar)
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

Character done. Projected classes to take after this will be Ninja, so just kinda call her ninja wannabe if you wish.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Hey, Mask, is your guy a knight of the Order? If so, would I know you?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Sorta Sinister, he's supposed to be a Knight-Errant who was turned away for not following the immaculate rules and taking far too much pleasure in messing with his quarries. Your character will probably have heard of some batshit artsy hopeful.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Very good then, we have 4 PCs more or less finished, 3 of which know about each other through the fact that they all have some link to a group of related knightly orders. This might make turning the party into a cohesive unit go more quickly.

Present party:
Mister_Sinister (Soldier)
ubernoob (Soulborn)
Nicklance (Monk / Barbarian / Swordwraith)
Mask_De_H (Soldier / Totemist)

Remaining people with an expressed interest in producing PCs:
Prak_Anima (Conduit)
Akula (Summoner)
Kaelik (Totemist)
Judging__Eagle (Rogue)
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Mask_De_H wrote:Sorta Sinister, he's supposed to be a Knight-Errant who was turned away for not following the immaculate rules and taking far too much pleasure in messing with his quarries. Your character will probably have heard of some batshit artsy hopeful.
Ah, that should be very interesting. :biggrin:

Also, I just came to a hilarious realization. Alice, by virtue of her stupid orc stance, can fire a bow TWICE HER HEIGHT. Without penalty.

:rofl:
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Nick, you may want to pick up some one handed throwing weapons for ranged attacks. I still haven't figured out what Peter's signature ranged weapons will be.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

Thanks for the heads up ubernoob. I've got myself some throwing axes.

And it seems that Gwendolyn is likely to join either with the Roses or the Watchers and latter only because they are looser than other knight orders when it comes to training.
Last edited by Nicklance on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Lots of people with intimidate checks as well.

I've got a few questions now.

How are masterwork items going to work? Can you get a set of Mwk Thieves Tools, and get the +2 bonus; how about say... a pair of crystal-clear, polished lenses, with small mirrors on the side, for looking behind? (+2 spot).

Stuff like that?

I'll probably spend my magic items on a +hide Cloak, a pair of +Move Silently Boots, and maybe a magic wand for the third item; would say... Produce Flame be alright?

It gives 'fire' (1d6+1 fire damage) touch attacks, and ranged touch attacks (120 range, 1 per 2 rounds). It's that or Flame Blade or Blade of Pain and Fear. Spells with a DC are a waste, and the character has no actual offense abilities; right now he's mostly a stealth character.

I'll probably Camouflage Clothing as well for items. Some other random stuff might show up, dice, playing cards. Maybe a pet fruit bat (srsly, no effect, it's purely for flavour).

Oh, and the character's got an okay shot of activating items (+9 umd, +11 with scrolls; so 1st lvl scrolls on a 10+); but it's not very reliable.

I'm considering a +charisma item, and a +umd headband; and maybe have a bunch of 1st lvl scrolls (say, 5), but I dunno how that might work out.

Or, just a +level to UMD item, and keep the stealth stuff; a +12 UMD at level 3 isn't too shabby.

Also, Infernal Dalliance gives either 1 Bite, or 2 Claw attacks. Would getting them all, and counting as one size smaller be alright?

So, two 1d3 Claws, and a 1d4 Bite (normally those are 1d4 and 1d6); since I don't see him as having either big shark teeth, or actual freaking claws; but sharpened teeth, and eye-gouging fingers do fit more with the character.

For the Subtype, I picked [Baatezu]; for immunity to fire/poison (we don't have any real users of fire, but this could be handy if there ever is a building on fire); ER acid 10, Cold 10; See in Darkness (this is actually pretty handy), Summon (i.e. I dunno what you want to do with that; I usually ignore it myself), and Telepathy (equal to speed? (30), or the usual 120'?)

Anyway, link is here.

In terms of combat stats, it's unimpressive; but he's hard to find, can move around, and can shoot with his crossbow with a +5 to hit (although honestly, that's not much; ranged touch attacks depend on getting a spell, or if I can use acid flasks and alchemists fire).

Can I assume that, yes, I can get acid flasks, and either jury rigged lamp oil, or straight out alchemist's fire? or not?

Right now, this character is looking like they're an infiltrator, with arsonist capability (alch fire, oil; immune to fire); with the option for shanking (1d4+2d6+4 (power attack)) the relatively helpless.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Lots of people with intimidate checks as well.

I've got a few questions now.

How are masterwork items going to work? Can you get a set of Mwk Thieves Tools, and get the +2 bonus; how about say... a pair of crystal-clear, polished lenses, with small mirrors on the side, for looking behind? (+2 spot).
I find masterwork tools to be stupid and pointless. One of our three minor magic items (that we pay resources for) will grant +3 bonus to a check. If you really want to, we could just say everyone has masterwork tools for everything and just have +2 to all skill checks.

Masterwork tools are stupid.

Edit: Didn't a flamewar erupt over here about product of infernal dalliance tossing out two immunities and other traits as a single feat? Pretty sure it only gives fire/cold resist and the ability to take fiend feats.
Last edited by ubernoob on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.