Proposed Game: Desire and the Dead (Tome)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

God_of_Awesome wrote:I remember Group 2 is dressing like prostitutes and a pimp right? I don't suppose Baldraxe could try disguising himself in a gimp costume could he?
... Sure. It might make some of the upcoming scenes even more amusing. It also avoids a 3-way PC group split.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Cool!

BTW, what are the rules for strangling people and can I get a whip?
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

God_of_Awesome wrote:Cool!

BTW, what are the rules for strangling people and can I get a whip?
Sorry I didn't respond till today, I was planning to post, but got interrupted by more schoolwork than expected.

Strangling people? I can't recall any rules off hand, but I'll say that once you've used the Grab On, Hold Down, or Lift special attack options, you can spend another attack to cut off someone's air for the round.

Also, see this feat: http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Stolen_B ... 5e_Feat%29

You can state that your character started with a mundane whip if you want. If you want something fancier, you might be able to find it in play, particularly if your PC specifically looks for one in town. You could even try finding a diviner to point you towards a fancy magic whip.

EDIT:
If you don't remember the Tome grapple maneuvers, you can find them here:
http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Races_of ... ck_Actions
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

To Tome Drow still get poisoning privileges?
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Drow
"Time to die for the Spider Queen."

The Drow are perhaps the most overused bunch of villains ever. Their entire ability set is one that is supposed to neutralize the advantages of player characters so that characters can have mirror matches against NPC parties without doubling their treasure. With magic items that turn off once they are brought out of Drow controlled regions, spell-resistance, and spell-like abilities designed to specifically negate common player-character tactical advantages, they can easily compete with Player Characters with massively more permanent magical equipment. And that means that they can be fought and killed several times without supercharging party treasure.

But if you want to play a Drow character, you don't want any of that crap. In fact, if you want a Drow character, probably the maxim you are looking for is "WWDD?" and the answer is probably "Fight with two scimitars." But more than that, there are a number of abilities that Drow characters in stories exhibit that people want. And then there are the game mechanical abilities in the rulebook that the characters in stories obviously don't have (like Touch of Fatigue, what's up with that?) So here it is, the LA +0 Drow that people actually want to play:

Medium Size
30' movement.
Humanoid Type (Elf subtype)
Darkvision 120'
+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
Daylight Sensitivity: While in brightly lit surroundings (such as a daylight spell), a Drow suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls and precision-based skill checks.
Drow with a Charisma of at least 10 may cast deeper darkness (duration 4 hours), and fairie fire as spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to their character level once per day each.
+2 bonus to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.
+2 bonus to Spot, and Listen checks.
Drow never sleep and are immune to sleep effects. Drow must still perform their 4 hour daily trance to stay coherent and rested.
Drow live an exceedingly interesting life and every Drow has proficiency with the rapier and an exotic ranged weapon of their choice.
Favored Classes: Cleric and Wizard
Automatic Languages: Elvish
Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Beholder, Common, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Dwarvish, Gnome, Kuo-Toa, Terran, Undercommon.
Does not look like it.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Can I have a poisoned barbed whip anyway?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

You totally know an assassin back home who hooked you up with his Weapon Poison for Dummies kit, Grade 1. You have a dozen doses of weapon poison which you can safely apply to a weapon given a minute or so of uninterrupted time. It doesn't hurt much on impact, but can cause paralysis in a minute or so.

You also have Somewhat Less money.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Fuck, he's a drow from DnD Gotham. It makes sense he has a poison expert guy he knows.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

And it is quite possible that you will make new contacts who can hook you up with new and/or better poisons in Sigil so that you can restock without going home.

It is pretty common knowledge that Deadwick the undead probable-lich sells poisons in addition to the rest of his assortment of mostly unpleasant wares. There might be downsides to buying from him, though.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Yes! Weekend start! I'm going to make a post after I take a nap. It's about 6 PM for me right now, and I'm feeling a little burnt-out.

I doubt I'll have enormous amounts of gaming time this week (homework plus meatspace RPG group), but I should be able to commit to at least a post a day, maybe more.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Awesome!
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Weekend over, and I've got some pretty dense homework. Might not be able to post every day.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I see the IC thread updated, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to responding. Bunch of tests right now. Either sometime Wednesday or during my library shift on Friday seems most likely.

Also, I remember a question about Bakir's Death Attack. Yes, he thinks he can get it to work, but he'll be targeting one of the runes on the tentacle, and something unexpected might happen.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue May 04, 2010 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Sweet.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Finals and two different graduation ceremonies this and next week. I doubt I will be able to post much until they are over.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Finals are over, and the general graduation is today.

There is a chance I will have a post ready today, otherwise almost certainly tomorrow.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Woo?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I certainly think so. Post is up, and I'll try to make at least one more if I get PC responses today. I have a graduation party tomorrow, but still decent chances of posting opportunities then. Maybe I'll try and convince Akula to start posting in this game again when I see him there.

There's a decent chance I'll be going to a Renaissance Fair with my parents for a few days during my father's birthday. So another upcoming period of low-to-nil posting opportunities Thursday to Sunday. It's Saturday around 12:30 where I am right now, for reference.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

here's the text on Black Bag, she just basically has it as a continuous spell effect on a nice, really supple leather purse, the origin of the leather best not guessed at.

Edit: I figure I'll wait on the next post until GoA posts again
Last edited by Prak on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Thank you for that.

Meatspace group getting together today, so posting opportunities will be more limited than usual for me. I should have at least one post introducing Nymon and the shop before I go to sleep, though.

Also it looks increasingly likely that it will be necessary for me to stay home and watch the house while everyone else heads out to the Renaissance Fair and Dad's birthday. If that's the case, I won't be absent from TGDMB for several days.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, I hate to say this... but I can no longer remember for what reason exactly we wanted the mind link or whatever we could get.

Someone remind me so I don't have to track the conversation down?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Long range communication that will let people know if one group gets in trouble, I think. Sblocked some posts from that point in the thread below.
Nicklance wrote:"I shall ride on your shoulder as a kitten Lord Peter. Inconspicuous, besides attention will be on you soon enough, best to make sure I come and go unnoticed so that I can scout better. Does anyone of you have any sending magic or a telepathic bond spell perhaps?"

Dana asks around.
Mister_Sinister wrote:"Now now, Akarchin, we'll question them first. You're coming with me on this. And the telepathic connection idea is a good one - any thoughts on that?"
Av, can we buy the services of a mage for a telepathic bond spell? I know it's listed at 6th level, but it's seriously a 2nd or maybe even a 1st.
Akula wrote:
Wouldn't the caster have to be part of such a bond? And don't we have a telepathic party member or two? They could relay things if the rest stayed within 100'.
Mister_Sinister wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:{There are 2 mages in the district. The party could approach either or both of them about telepathic magic.}
Akula wrote:Cartwell removes his head from his hands; his eyes are bloodshot, and have heavy circles around them. He seems to have not slept last night. I think that I'll go and walk the district, we are obligated to patrol after all. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome. Maybe we will look into this 'beast of rattling alley' alone the way. But may I ask, why are we seeking out a caster for a telepathic bond? If it is to reduce the attention we draw, I'm afraid it seems doomed to failure. And if this 'Lord of Fear' has agents in the district, it is more likely that they would have an eye on the spellcasters than on us.
Mister_Sinister wrote:"Cartwell, your position is objectively wrong. We will need to be able to communicate with Dana and Peter very rapidly in order to ensure our mutual safety, and if we cannot do that, no amount of secrecy will mean absolutely anything. If it is of that much concern to you, I propose we take the mage that casts the spell with us... or, perhaps, you wouldn't mind a bit of minding duty? Regardless, the need for a telepathic bond is not under discussion - it's a question of who, not if."
Akula wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:"Cartwell, your position is objectively wrong. We will need to be able to communicate with Dana and Peter very rapidly in order to ensure our mutual safety, and if we cannot do that, no amount of secrecy will mean absolutely anything. If it is of that much concern to you, I propose we take the mage that casts the spell with us... or, perhaps, you wouldn't mind a bit of minding duty? Regardless, the need for a telepathic bond is not under discussion - it's a question of who, not if."
I'm not sure how we will be able to ensure each other's safty when we are going to be scattered to hell and back across the district. Alice, if you can do true teleportation then...I'd love to learn, but rapid communication means nothing without rapid transit to back it up, unless our commentary on events is going to change them. If this Lord of Fear is a master of disinformation, traps, and evading capture, and has choosen to set up here, then he is watching the important people in the district. There are only two casters here that could do what you are talking about. It is more likely that he would be watching them than that he would be watching us, seeing as our group was formed yesterday. If we are dead set on striking at him, I propose that a small group of us go off to patrol the district to draw off any eyes. The rest leave in a staggered order and take random paths of variable lengths to the destination, timed so that they all arrive in short order. Then they move in, in force and as a group. That plan gives us the best chance at surprise and overwhelming force.
Nicklance wrote:Dana casts a disdainful glance at Cartwell.

"So speaks a summoner who gives not a poop whether his summons die or not. Unfortunately sir, we are not your summons. We value our hide dearly. Telepathic communication, even without a rapid response system in place, is still a very good alarm in case Lord Peter and I were to meet with any unfortunate circumstances, and at the least the rest of you know that something is bad enough to take two of us down so the rest of you can decide then if you want to mount a rescue or simply acknowledge that we failed and move on..."

Dana clears her throat at the thought of failure.

"At the least you know the enemy is worth his reputation and the fear he generates."
Akula wrote:
Nicklance wrote:We value our hide dearly.
Apparently not, you may value the hides of the people not going deeply. But going alone and almost certainly outnumbered into the lair of the enemy is not something that people that don't want to get scribed do. I suppose I should thank you, because the plan you are going with ensures my survival at the cost of significant risk to yourself and Lord Peter.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Though verbal resignations from this game have been fairly minimal, I am getting the impression that there isn't much interest remaining. Is anyone still interested in this game? If so, are people waiting for a timeskip or something?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm waiting for the other people with me to post, either playing their characters, or just saying "go ahead and take charge".

I also forgot that I was only waiting to be reminded of the purpose of finding a caster before posting again.

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I was discussing this game in meatspace, and someone mentioned that the conclusion of the most recent encounter felt rushed. The build-up presented the enemies as a real threat, but they were taken out very quickly and in a manner where Nymon may have taken too much of the spotlight.

My perspective is that it seemed that the PCs were interested in avoiding combat where possible, and that since they had put themselves in a situation where they didn't have to worry about the full enemy group and had support from a reasonably effective NPC, their tactics should be rewarded. The enemy leader was a level 3 Monk without maxed HP, and she was likely to go down after a few solid hits without support from her allies. With a blinding color surge as Nymon's main combat choice and two flanking PC combatants of decent skill, I figured that I'd just check the numbers for the next couple rounds and see if the leader dropped. As things turned out, she did.

Based on what had happened so far, my impressions were that a short fight seemed like it might be preferable, and might highlight how dangerous and potentially short life was in the Hive even for PC types. Get surrounded or have a couple of nasty types get the drop on you, and you can die fast if you aren't significantly more dangerous than average. However, I could have made this into a pretty dramatic encounter that took up much more time if I made the enemy leader use more cautious tactics and emphasized the need to keep thugs from using secondary routes in to surround the PCs.

Any thoughts or preferences for the next time there's an encounter like this?