5E Illusionist Wizard Abuse

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

5E Illusionist Wizard Abuse

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Malleable Illusions to:
Cast a bunch of Creation stuff with your spell slots (the higher level the better) the previous day to make vegetable matter. Make it something like flower petals. Then use Malleable Illusions to suddenly transform the objects into various objects. Note that this use of the spell doesn't have that silly 'can't be used to harm the target' clause, so feel free to use Malleable Illusions to turn it into liquid hot magma.

Wish for a Mirage Arcana. Become a battlefield God.

Create a Simulacrum of yourself. Continually refresh it with Malleable Illusions to spam the spells you like.

Illusory Reality:
Cages. That seems kind of dull, though.

Cast Seeming on an enemy to give the illusion of their spellcasting focus / weapons / whatever being encased in a block of cement. Illusory Reality it to seal it off for a minute.

Conveyor Belts / Ice Slides for some good ol' Murder Pinball action.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Those sound like much higher-level effects than 5e games get into. What can you do by level 3-ish?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You have Phantasmal Force. It's potentially extremely powerful and targets a universally bad save. The problem is that, like most illusions, it's subject to metagame fuckery. For example, I use Phantasmal Force to make an Ogre believe they're chained by the wrists and ankles to the wall by a short chain so the fighter can wail on them. The DM rules that the Ogre is too stupid to believe they're chained to the wall. They believe and perceive the chains, but don't believe that they can old the Ogre. So they swing their club and circle around the Fighter like the spell isn't there.

Or you can use Phantasmal Force to create an illusion of a fat, buttered-up halfling that's attacking the Ogre from the side. The Ogre will never go after the halfling and continue attacking the Fighter as if the halfling isn't there.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

The point is that 5e didn't put any tangible limitations there so it's very two-way in terms of how fucky it is.
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.