Shadowrun 4e newbie questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

A free spirit intuitively knows where its formula is, but does it also know where its true name is? From the way it's described, "though free spirits
have been known to quickly but quietly relocate this physical
representation to a safe place at the first opportunity"; why wouldn't the free spirit just destroy the true name? Does the true name reform elsewhere if destroyed?

EDIT: Additional question. Seeing as how the Arlington National Cemetery is noted as a rating 5, what magical tradition would it be aligned toward? Similar places in the NAN would be obvious in their alignment, as would Stonehenge or Plymouth Rock. I mainly wonder if there's a Chaplain America that guards DeeCee with the number of monuments giving a boost to magic for such magic.
Last edited by virgil on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

virgil wrote: EDIT: Additional question. Seeing as how the Arlington National Cemetery is noted as a rating 5, what magical tradition would it be aligned toward? Similar places in the NAN would be obvious in their alignment, as would Stonehenge or Plymouth Rock. I mainly wonder if there's a Chaplain America that guards DeeCee with the number of monuments giving a boost to magic for such magic.
American Exceptionalism ought to be its own tradition by the time of Shadowrun.
He's even got his own obelisk

Combat: Patriotism
Detection: Freedom
Health: Self Determination
Illusion: Liberty
Manipulation: Justice
Drain: Willpower+Charisma
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

There is nothing stopping you.
You can have a magical Tradition based on your favourite saturday morning cartoon from when you were a child.
Magic works. How it works is up to you.
It works and you make up analogies in your mind as to how and why it might work. And if you tell somebody you cast stunbolt and the spirit of Hulkamania legdrops your oponent something fierce NOBODY CAN RIGHTFULLY CLAIM THAT YOU ARE WRONG!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A free spirit gets banished if the last representation of its true self gets destroyed. So they need to keep at least one around.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The Endowment power from Street Magic confuses me. What happens if you have a free great form guardian spirit use Endowment on people; specifically stuff like giving some guy Spirit Pact or Hidden Life?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

virgil wrote:The Endowment power from Street Magic confuses me. What happens if you have a free great form guardian spirit use Endowment on people; specifically stuff like giving some guy Spirit Pact or Hidden Life?
Here's a better question: what happens if a great form guardian spirit endows you with Posession, and you posess yourself?
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Longes wrote:
virgil wrote:The Endowment power from Street Magic confuses me. What happens if you have a free great form guardian spirit use Endowment on people; specifically stuff like giving some guy Spirit Pact or Hidden Life?
Here's a better question: what happens if a great form guardian spirit endows you with Posession, and you posess yourself?
This is some Laundry-tier shit right here.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:
Longes wrote:
You get blonde glowing hair?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Korwin wrote:
Silent Wayfarer wrote:
Longes wrote:
You get blonde glowing hair?
Do you get +Magic to your physical attributes? :viking:
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Magically rigging your own body? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I tried to look up prior discussions concerning Endowment on the tubes. All I could find was kvetching about giving people Astral Form or Materialization; which seemed a bit weird, having Astral Form doesn't shift you into the Astral Plane or remove the innate trait of "have a physical body," and having Materialization makes you much like a weaker (but more versatile) task/man spirit. The more salient questions like chain Endowment, self-possession, and endowed Spirit Pacts interest me.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i don't think you can endow possession and spirit pact.
technically, i guess it would work though . . probably a case of:"i did not think they would try that"
the things i see mentioned most in terms of endowment are guard and concealment for obvious reasons. sometimes movement.
for people without ware regeneration is seldomly mentioned.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Possession on a regular astrally projecting character is actually pretty terrible, because you don't have a "Force." Best stick to powers that run off your magic attribute, because you could easily have a non-zero one of those.

Endowment is a thing that Great Form Spirits could do all the way back in 1st edition, but it didn't have a name. I made it an actual power with a distinct writeup, rather than hiding it in the services description. I kinda wish I hadn't named it something that could also mean penis size, but on the other hand I kinda don't.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

FrankTrollman wrote:Possession on a regular astrally projecting character is actually pretty terrible, because you don't have a "Force." Best stick to powers that run off your magic attribute, because you could easily have a non-zero one of those.
So the powers granted to someone by Endowment use the subject's stats rather than the bestowing spirit's? This contradicts the FAQ on their website; but I trust your opinion on a rule you wrote more than them for some reason. Ah, all these questions about Endowment...
Last edited by virgil on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Alright, so in my Shadowrun Group, one player is a Changeling-manbat who's like an aspected magician that Hulks-out Sumoning, and can do Earthquakes/Lightning Storms. What I was wondering, we couldn't find the duration in Street Magic for how long they last. Would you Frank/anyone-else have an inside scoop on what it was "supposed" to be?
Last edited by Aryxbez on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Aryxbez wrote:Alright, so in my Shadowrun Group, one player is a Changeling-manbat who's like an aspected magician that Hulks-out Sumoning, and can do Earthquakes/Lightning Storms. What I was wondering, we couldn't find the duration in Street Magic for how long they last. Would you Frank/anyone-else have an inside scoop on what it was "supposed" to be?
Storm and Quake only last one combat round. Of course, just like the actual disasters they mimic, the fact that they only last 3 seconds doesn't mean that their effects aren't felt long after that.

A 3 second quake, for example, will actually leave the ground shaking for 30 seconds.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Great Form Spirit with the Quake Power is still a horrible MegaPlexKillerWeapon
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Shadowrun lore question(s): Are there Immortal Orcs? Are there any IEs in Aztlan? Were there any free spirits that stayed on Earth during the Fifth Age (likely in spirit-equivalent of dragon sleep), and thus keep their Spirit Pacts valid during that entire time?

Non-Lore Question: Can a spirit use the Movement power on itself when using 'fast' astral movement? As in, will that F6 spirit start moving at 36km/hr if it really wants to get somewhere fast and doesn't want to leave Earth's astral?
Last edited by virgil on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Technically, seeing how SR is the future of Earthdawn, there should at least be one immortal Orc be taken into consideration. He stole life from death, one day at a time or something like that was the myth, as he was the worlds best thief.
IE in Aztlan . . none that i remember. I think the IE's don't like people who deal with Horrors much.
Seeing how the mana level dropped, no, the spirits could not have stayed on the earth plane, and they lack an equivalent to the dragonsleep as far as i know. They probably simply were sent back to their home meta plane.
Which means, technically, the spirits from way back when could still be active and i am not sure wether or not spirit pacts end with their disruption.
Even if disrupted, they reform in a month or so worth of time.

Astral Travel is measured in magic/force x 1000 kilometers per hour if you want to fast travel anyway i think . . combining THAT with movement could lead to some hillarious results o.O
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Movement is a physical power and does not affect purely astral forms.

The Immortal Ork and Immortal Dwarf storylines were, if anything, even more stupid than the Immortal Elf storylines and people pretend it didn't happen.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Frank:
good point, i always forget to take the distinction of astral/mana and physical into account <.<

The immortal dorf one kinda sorta also made it into the shadowrun novels in the form of the subterranean dorf kingdom under germany . . yeah, no, don't ask . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

FrankTrollman wrote:Movement is a physical power and does not affect purely astral forms.

The Immortal Ork and Immortal Dwarf storylines were, if anything, even more stupid than the Immortal Elf storylines and people pretend it didn't happen.
Gah, I need to refresh my physical/mana spell divide.

If a storyline is stupid, I'm perfectly willing to just plain dump it in favour of something cool. I'm currently considering the idea of a free spirit with Endowment and Spirit Pact creating a plurality of immortals from the Fourth Age, and the party managing to obtain its true name in a run; but I want to double-check on the mechanics to make sure the basic idea isn't stupid and adjust the plot accordingly.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Okay, you can't say "worse than the Immortal Elves" and leave us hanging.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

name_here wrote:Okay, you can't say "worse than the Immortal Elves" and leave us hanging.
Sigh. The Immortal Elves were annoying because they were constant cock teases interspersed with rants about how they were doing important shit you couldn't be a part of and also how you couldn't beat them under any circumstances, nyah nyah nyah. That was annoying and bad.

The immortal dwarves, on the other hand, were blue. They were literally a Smurf joke, and also unbeatable. They were explicitly comic relief characters who were unbeatable GM penis extensions at the same time. It was so infuriating that it defies ready understanding.

It was a thing that the German team came up with. They apparently thought it was fucking hilarious and for a time wouldn't shut up about them. The American team was not amused.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, yes, the Querxes . . .
That never really cought on.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: