The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Need character for 3.5 game...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, for what it is worth, that first level in Beguiler is actually quite awesome.

We modified the Spirit Shaman in our game to be a Wisdom-based sorceror who can change spells daily from the druid list. It has worked okay.

Also, seriously? A freaking Entangle spell can put the whole group to shame.
Crissa
King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the rogue-like was pissed I showed him up, and I didn't even disable the traps or anything. We went over what had happened a day later and he decided it was all up to miscommunication - I wasn't being very forward, and he wasn't discussing his moves at all.

He had said, 'Well, I don't even know how a mage would have a +11 on search!' in his pique of anger on game night (and some other choice things) but I had introduced my character as carrying a longbow and wearing chainmail. That's hardly 'introducing as a mage,' is it?

But yeah. It's hard not to do something they call munchkin.

-Crissa
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea, what gives! Your Paladin is wearing armor! What kind of mage do you think you are?!
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At level... 4?

Getting a +11 to search isn't too hard.

It's always maxed if you're a rogue, unless your character 'isn't' a rogue, and just has class levels in rogue.

So, that's a +7

If you have a 2,500 gp Lenses of Minute Seeing, it's a +5 Competence to search.

Get a 50 gp +2 masterwork item, some magnifying glass, or some really good theive's tools. Of these, carry a bunch. You'll eventually lose one, and lose the +2 bonus that you've been gaining. 50 gp every now and again isn't a big enough deal, so getting a bunch is a good idea.

Already, with a 10 wis; that's a +14 bonus to finding traps. At level 4.

you can find traps up to DC 24; which is pretty high for a level 4 trap, so you'll usually succeed, even if rushed.
Crissa
King

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You also find traps with search, which is Int based. However, 2500 gold at level 4 is a pretty fair chunk of the budget for a starting character.

My last rogue in his campaign actually kept finding sets of lockpicking tools. I had a rusty set, a dusty set, an oiled set, a gold set, and umm... One other one by the time I lost them all.

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
'Well, I don't even know how a mage would have a +11 on search!'

Rebut: "There are obviously many things you don't know"

Here's the breakdown:

+4 from 18 Int
+3 from Skill focus: search
+2 from Investigator feat
+2 from being an elf
+3 from whatever optional familiar from Dragon XX or Splatbook grants a bonus to Search equivalent to the bonus other familiars grant to spot/move silently/etc
with another potential +2 from casting Fox's Cunning

that adds up to +17 at 3rd level without a single skill rank nor any items granting bonuses.

Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: