[Tome of Virtue] Soulborn

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Lord of Death, Tyrant, Monster Rancher, Bureaucrat and Army of Demons ended up
whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.... what?

I not only have never heard about these, ever, but I didn't even realize that these feats were meant to exist
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Giant-sized Soulmeld:

Overfiend: the character is permanently surrounded by an Evard's Black Tentacles effect, but is excluded from the area - merely everyone else is grappled and harmed. When he moves, the area moves, however it will carry any successfully grappled individuals with it.

...well I tried to not reference tentacle rape. I almost succeeded, too.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

A lot of times things just say "level" -- do they mean Class Level or Character Level?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Surgo wrote:A lot of times things just say "level" -- do they mean Class Level or Character Level?
I'm guessing character, unless it's an ability gained 'at level x'.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I uploaded this to the wiki: here.

I edited it a bit (no mechanical changes) to make it more readable, imo.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Judging__Eagle wrote:
Lord of Death, Tyrant, Monster Rancher, Bureaucrat and Army of Demons ended up
whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.... what?

I not only have never heard about these, ever, but I didn't even realize that these feats were meant to exist
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50544
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Sure, but that post is dated a day after J_E said he had never heard of or seen them.
<something clever>
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Frostburn is an overall terrible spell -- it seems like a waste of an action for a giant-sized soulmeld. I mean, at least dessicate fatigues whoever you cast it on.
Last edited by Surgo on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Surgo wrote:Frostburn is an overall terrible spell -- it seems like a waste of an action for a giant-sized soulmeld. I mean, at least dessicate fatigues whoever you cast it on.
According to the rules in It's Cold Outside, frostburn causes fatigue and a -2 Dexterity penalty if it causes any damage.

-Username17
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Whoa, missed that bit badly. Nevermind!
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Aktariel wrote:Sure, but that post is dated a day after J_E said he had never heard of or seen them.
Also... I read and replied to that thread the day it was posted. >_> I'm the 4th response.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Anyway to enhance the Soulblade with, like, Ruinous (Book of Gears) or something?

I'm playing one of these at high levels in a game, it looks like a pretty fun and tactically interesting character so far.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think some of the higher end powers are supposed to say that they need to be used with the soulblade and forget to mention that. So you're in essence getting some powers on your soulblade as you level up in Soulborn. But I also rather imagined at some point throwing in some Incarnum Feats. And improving one's soulblade butchery seems pretty natural.

-Username17
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Well, if any Incarnum feats get made, I happily look forward to them. My guy seems pretty effective so far, at least. I'll let everybody know how it works out.
Last edited by Surgo on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

That game finally started, so I can see how effective my guy is.

I borrowed this from the Monk; not sure if it's too strong or too weak but it's certainly not as applicable as the Monk's is.

Astounding Soulmelds
* Forceful: Any opponent you affect with your soulfire is affected by the violent thrust version of telekinesis (no saving throw).
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

How's this for an Astounding effect?

Soul Anchor: Once per minute, if any opponent you affect with your soulfire attempts to take any action other than movement within the next minute, it must make a fort save (CHA-based) or die after taking that action. If this save is made, the effect wears off and they don't have to save again unless they get hit with The Blue again. This is a [Death] effect.

EDIT: A few nerfs added.
Last edited by Sunwitch on Sat May 14, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I feel like there's not much point in Prism when you have that one.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Well, Prism applies to every attack whereas you can't really do that with a limited per-day ability, plus it's a [Death] effect, and you can't affect someone with it more than once per round due to it not being resolved until they next take action, but yeah, I'm trying to think of some kind of limitation to stick on it for that reason. It really doesn't stand up to the giant-sizes at all.
Last edited by Sunwitch on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

So if I wanted a way to switch out soulmelds faster (as a Full-Round Action), would that be appropriate as a feat?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lokathor wrote:So if I wanted a way to switch out soulmelds faster (as a Full-Round Action), would that be appropriate as a feat?
Sure.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

FrankTrollman wrote:
  • Bolt of Agony: As a standard action, the Soulborn can shoot bolts of soulfire at things within 60'. It's a ranged touch attack that inflicts a d10 of Force damage and forces the target to make a Fortitude Save (DC 8 + 1/2 level + Charisma Modifier) or be dazed for 1 round.

... snip ...
  • Startling Power: Once per turn, the Soulborn can force a target they have just struck for damage with a melee weapon to make a Fortitude Save (DC 9 + 1/2 level + Charisma Modifier) or become dazed for one turn.

Are those nonstandard DC's typos or correct?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Korwin wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:
  • Bolt of Agony: As a standard action, the Soulborn can shoot bolts of soulfire at things within 60'. It's a ranged touch attack that inflicts a d10 of Force damage and forces the target to make a Fortitude Save (DC 8 + 1/2 level + Charisma Modifier) or be dazed for 1 round.

... snip ...
  • Startling Power: Once per turn, the Soulborn can force a target they have just struck for damage with a melee weapon to make a Fortitude Save (DC 9 + 1/2 level + Charisma Modifier) or become dazed for one turn.

Are those nonstandard DC's typos or correct?
Those are correct. It's a Save DC with a penalty because it's a pretty vicious and cheap stunlock.

-Username17
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Level six seems to be way too good of a level for soulborns. You get the +6 effect of Combat feats, access to Large Size if you are an aasimar/tiefling, learn two more Better Soulmelds, and get Endless Smiting.

That seems way more than an extra cast of Solid Fog per day (ignoring prestige classes, but mindbender for telepathy is probably the best PrC ability a level six caster could have).

I don't really feel any one ability is out of line, but the whole package seems like a gigantic power spike at level six. Maybe switch out Soul Arrow with Endless Smiting? Obviously in the levels 6-10 range, we're approaching rocket launcher tag, but it seems that most of the power in those levels is gained at level 6 with level 8 basically getting a joke ability (1 force damage when hit by an enemy).

TLDR: Don't really disagree with any specific ability, but levels 5 and 6 seem really heavily loaded with powerful abilities while levels 7 and 8 hardly add anything new. Maybe shuffle some of those abilities back and move endless smite deeper in the class.
Last edited by ubernoob on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

So, I have a question: What does a soulborn in single-digit levels do outside combat if they don't take the outsider-summoning soulmeld at level 9?
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:So, I have a question: What does a soulborn in single-digit levels do outside combat if they don't take the outsider-summoning soulmeld at level 9?
4+int skills, charisma as a core stat means he's probably your party face. On top of that:
It takes 1 minute of meditation to change which Soulmelds are available
You can take off one of your combat soulmelds to access the following effects as long as you think you'll have the minute to change before and after.
Enhancement Bonus to a Skill other than Use Magic Device (Level + 2)
This may not seem like a lot, but it will make the soulborn good at face skills when they put on their face soulmelds as well as spellcraft for arcane sight.
Levitation: The character can hover in the air as per the effects of the spell levitate.
Wall Walking: The Soulborn can be attracted to any surface as if to the ground, allowing them to walk or run on walls and ceilings.
I'm sure you can find some silly things to do with these.
Animal Summoning: Once per day per Charisma modifier, the Soulborn can summon an animal with a CR half their own or less as a Standard Action. The summoned creature lasts 10 rounds.
AKA mundane trapfinding.
Silence: The Soulborn can cast silence on themselves at will. Each silence effect lasts until they dismiss it or the Soulmeld is swapped out, but they may only have one silence effect active at one time.
Stealth.
Arcane Sight (Su): At 3rd level, a Soulborn benefits at all times from Arcane Sight.
AKA magical trapfinding.

And that's all just levels 1-4. Continuing.
Winged Flight: The Soulborn is held aloft on energy wings or something, and gains a Flight speed equal to twice their land speed with Average Maneuverability.
I don't need to explain that this is useful.
Invisibility: The Soulborn can become invisible as per the spell invisibility as a Swift Action at will.
Stealth.
X-Ray Vision: The Soulborn can see through things like they had a Ring of X-Ray Vision.
More trapfinding.
Blind Sight: The character has Blindsight out to 60'
See through illusions.

Now, not every soulborn will have all of the soulmelds I listed, but they should have at least a few of them (you know Level+1 soulmelds total and can only have active soulmelds up to your chakra limit, so even if you design a "Combat set" of soulmelds that you use to stomp face, you can trade every single one of those soulmelds out for a utility soulmeld whenever you want.

But yeah, reasonably a soulborn can basically sweep for traps, use social skills (again, +skill soulmeld will make them pretty effective), stealth (silence+invisibility), and fly around like superman.

I wouldn't say that a soulborn has more out of combat utility than a caster, but they definitely have more than pretty much every other melee class we write even here in tomeland.
Last edited by ubernoob on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.