Alternative to Savage Species' ECL system.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Alternative to Savage Species' ECL system.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Wouldn't it have been easier to just create a bunch of 'monster feats'/'monster classes' and force people who wanted to start play as, say, an Ettin Fighter take eight or whatever levels in fighter but force them to take the feats of 'Extra Head', 'Dual Mind Coordination', 'Large Warrior', and so-on? Succubi are sorcerers who are forced to take enchantment and summoning spells at first and take feats in 'Wings' and 'Unearthly Beauty'. Then they could continue advancing in sorcerer and pick whatever spells they wanted from then on.

Of course, this would require a rewrite of feats so that feats like Extra Head are equal to Weapon Focus. Or if you're lazy state that Extra Head requires an investment of two feats.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Part of the problem is that most people don't think of ettins, demons, or dragons starting as hobbit fighters and then growing extra heads, sexy, and scales.

I have no problem with the system of 'you must be this tall to start as X creature'. Savage Species & pretty much all of the post 3.0e DMG publications did an absolutely terrible job of it (the 3.0e DMG was just bad), while Races of War actually has a pretty decent system. It's all about the implementation.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Re: Alternative to Savage Species' ECL system.

Post by Caedrus »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Wouldn't it have been easier to just create a bunch of 'monster feats'/'monster classes' and force people who wanted to start play as, say, an Ettin Fighter take eight or whatever levels in fighter but force them to take the feats of 'Extra Head', 'Dual Mind Coordination', 'Large Warrior', and so-on? Succubi are sorcerers who are forced to take enchantment and summoning spells at first and take feats in 'Wings' and 'Unearthly Beauty'. Then they could continue advancing in sorcerer and pick whatever spells they wanted from then on.

Of course, this would require a rewrite of feats so that feats like Extra Head are equal to Weapon Focus. Or if you're lazy state that Extra Head requires an investment of two feats.
I've been using a system that incorporates forced feat choices for using "powerful" races for years. Works quite well as a stopgap fix for ECL, in my experience.

Other things you can do to divert the whole ECL thing away from a cost in LEVELS is to, say, take points out of your point buy for attributes (So, you're an "average" ogre instead of an "elite" human), or to roll stuff in with class features (a la Dragonmarked Sorcerer, or racial substitution levels). Plenty of options are available to make a makeshift balanced LA 0 powerful monster.
Last edited by Caedrus on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago wrote:Wouldn't it have been easier to just create a bunch of 'monster feats'/'monster classes' and force people who wanted to start play as, say, an Ettin Fighter take eight or whatever levels in fighter but force them to take the feats of 'Extra Head', 'Dual Mind Coordination', 'Large Warrior', and so-on?
No. Better yes, but easier not even close.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I did something like that, back in the day. For YUan-ti, I made a basic race (skill bonus for handling snakes, ifyouknowwhatimean, +2 Dex/-2 Str, bonus on saves against poison).

I then gave it a poison bite ability (but no bite attack until a later level, meaning you have to grapple them or catch them off-guard) that generally remained "The DC is level appropriate, the effect is not. You don't care, it's a flavour power. Whatever." I also gave them the ability to transform into snakes (specific types), again it's not very useful.

Anything else required either feats (spit venom, "I has a tail", "Ra, Imma' cobra!"), sub-levels (Sorc gained a hypnotic gaze, some extra poison spells and a stronger familiar that dies like an animal companion in exchange for some spells/day, so a net gain. Cleric loses turning/rebuking and a couple of spells, gets an extra domain that Mersshaulk grants, and can spont. summon (each SM spell having one snakey thing that can be called forth).) or take the paragon class.

Paragon class was 3 levels long: +2 caster levels (any arcane), +2 Cha, rebuke serpents, some other random boosts.

So someone could say "Cool, I can bite people with poison, and turn into a snake!" and leave it at that, or they could turn their normal options into racial-themed packages that made them even more serpenty and infiltratory.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I like the idea of using CR as starting point and adjusting HD&BAB when HD != CR.

Example: Ettin
CR: 6
HD: 10
BAB: +7
This is a pretty good example of HD inflation, and it makes me sad. It has the BAB of a 7th level character, though, which is pretty close to CR 6, so we've got an easy adaptation. Solution: give it 7 HD and full BAB. Congratulations, you have a 7th level character.

This falls apart with bullshit [Awesome] tag creatures, though. *cough* planetar *cough*
Last edited by NineInchNall on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok....

So, CR 7; BaB 7; that's workable. There's not crazy abilities or powers.

They have 10 HD, 3/4 BaB, Good Fort saves, and 2 skill pts per HD.

So, sort of like a barbarian.

Trim the HD down to 7; give them Full BaB; Good Fort Saves; and 4 skill pts a level to bring them to be in line with the Barbarian.

For Stats:

Str 23, -15= +8
Dex 8, -10 = -2
Con 15, -14 = +1, or +0
Int 6, -8 = -2
Wis 10, - 12 = -2
Cha 11 - 13 = -2

Basically, +8 to str, -2 to all mental stats, as well as Dex.

+7 Natural armour; only 1/2 is able to be used when wearing armour.

Superior Two-Weapon Fighting (Ex)
An ettin fights with a morningstar or javelin in each hand. Because each of its two heads controls an arm, the ettin does not take a penalty on attack or damage rolls for attacking with two weapons.

Skills
An ettin’s two heads give it a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, and Search checks.

and that's pretty much it.

They're a Full BaB TWF fighter with no penalties to damage or to-hit when TWFing. They have decent AC; and can wear heavy armour to increase their AC even more.

At level 7 they've got 4 attack, 3 feats, and each of their attacks has (usually) a +6 to damage before anything else is added in; and they have a base +12 to hit before any magical buffs are taken into account. It's big, and scary looking, but it's not a super powerful monster.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Planetar's easy, it's a bog standard 17th level Cleric, with all the normal domain, item, spell, and cheese bonuses built into it's statblock (where someone accidentally wrote "natural armour", 20 Con, and such).

Hell, I'm sure people could cheese up a 14th level character with 17th level casting if they tried these days. Surely there's a spell gives SR 13+level somewhere, and DR, and immunities? Not even large without their all day DP/RM up and running.

Or you can do the work and make most of the shit you can't handwave into replacement class abilities, or racial prestige class levels with d4 HD and full casting, or whatever, if you're actually going to use it.

Want to play a Planetar? Just be a regular spellcaster, that's what they look like at higher levels anyway.