Tome Red Hand of Doom.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Midnight_v wrote:
Learn2Divine.
Fair enough.
I've just gotten hated on by dm's for divining. They've historically just not told me relavant things.
Still though. I appreciate your consideration. I was thinking people weren't condidering what I was saying at all.
I don't like presenting my own fixes outside my own games.

As for me + Divination. I literally started a game by telling the people that they were going to do a classic Dungeon crawly exploration thing, but that the Guild sending them would start out by giving them all a free divination.

Can't remember exactly, but basically, none of them used it well, half of them didn't use it at all. I have to twist peoples arms to get them to Divine, so if you have 2 Commune SLAs a day, When you sit down for rest at the end of the day, you better fucking use both of them if you have them left.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

So any problem with my auto-crit on a sneak attack dagger? Because I imagine their is a problem. It's only their for the natural 20 chance that it may just happen to not to be problem.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

God_of_Awesome wrote:So any problem with my auto-crit on a sneak attack dagger? Because I imagine their is a problem. It's only their for the natural 20 chance that it may just happen to not to be problem.
The problem would be that you only get 1 lesser item.

And you want three, and I have no idea why.

Here is how you pick items:

1) Pick any number of non magical items. Any number.

2) Pick four of those. These four give you an enhancement bonus as per book of gears rules.

3) Pick one single item out of that 4. This item gets to have on simple magic ability. I recommend the gloves that allow you to store 100 projectiles of various kinds (including small rodents and daggers) and always pull out the right one and summon things too.

You cannot have a cloak that makes daggers, a glove that stores and summons, and an autocritting dagger.

Very quickly you will end up with a lot more than 8 magic items, and many of them will be magic weapons of various sorts. You can totally store like 15 of them in your glove and then throw like 3+ a round.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Can I still have the Mask of Disguise Self?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

God_of_Awesome wrote:Can I still have the Mask of Disguise Self?
Sure, but just so you know, it's a Jester thing, not a Drow thing. No one in this campaign is arbitrarily racist against black people. They are too busy hating green people.

God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Oh ok. So, can we have Drowish Mafia then?
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

I once again apologise for poking in with nothing to contribute. I would just like to take this small opportunity to admit that the Tomes have breaken all the boundaries of good taste. They have given life to the unthinkable. They have brought to the world the possibility to effectively wield and focus on

COLOSSAL POISONFIRE GAUNTLETS WITH ANIMALS INSIDE.

There's nothing left to achieve. All that is cool and fucking awesome is right there.

Thinking of starting a family? Living a life of luxury? Conquering outer space? Get the fuck off my Internet, spaz. I've got COLOSSAL POISONFIRE GAUNTLETS WITH ANIMALS INSIDE!!!!
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Can I get some characters or some ETAs?

If not, I'll just switch back to one game of 5/6 that I already have.

endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

I'm not sure who you're counting as done, but Tammi's all set to roll.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I'm all done.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'm still waiting to get your take on the feats I posted (and maybe a clarification as to whether a PC can have both a Tome armor and a Tome shield), but I could finish the character in a couple of hours without those quite easily.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I changed my history to include DROW MAFIA HELL YES.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I'm good to go.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Same here.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Ready and able
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Honestly, when I was playing my Samurai, that TAUGHT me to divine. For the most part, Divination spells have a steep player AND DM learning curve. You rarely use them when you have to choose something like "should I prepare a Divination spell or a Spell that gives me a burrow speed for 1 round". Unless both people are familiar with Divination, burrowing is just better.

That being said, pestering your DM with Divinations is awesomely fun, and when they are free you use them. This works very well in the same sense that the Knight's Designate Opponent ability makes people scream things in combat.

The catchphrase in our campaign for the Samurai Commune was:
"OH MIGHTY ANCESTORS of my fallen clan, please lend me your aide to the new challenges that present your progeny, your lifeblood, your legacy"

Of course, this was frequently abrieviated to "OH MIGHTY ANCESTORS ---" "Yes already, we heard you the last 27 times, we're dead not deaf!"
(or some equivalent)
Fenrisulfr
1st Level

Post by Fenrisulfr »

Sorry, I've got major essays and midterms assaulting me all at once (damn you, procrastination!), so I'm a bit distracted. Hopefully I'll get a character written up in the next day or two.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Tommorow...
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:I'm still waiting to get your take on the feats I posted (and maybe a clarification as to whether a PC can have both a Tome armor and a Tome shield), but I could finish the character in a couple of hours without those quite easily.
Yes you can have Tome Armor and or Shield.

Yes you can have those feats, even though they suck for you and me. Fuck you for making me keep track of time in game.

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

First, home Internet is reestablished. Yay.
Kaelik wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:I'm still waiting to get your take on the feats I posted (and maybe a clarification as to whether a PC can have both a Tome armor and a Tome shield), but I could finish the character in a couple of hours without those quite easily.
Yes you can have Tome Armor and or Shield.

Yes you can have those feats, even though they suck for you and me. Fuck you for making me keep track of time in game.
Ha-haa! Setting a feat on fire for moar healan it is, then. If it's any easier on you, we could just abstract it as "a significant chunk of time later", so I just have to wait until a particular block of time's encounters are over before the abilities refresh. Or maybe I have to specifically rest for a while to refresh them. If Aetheros needs to meditate for half an hour or more to get his glowy healy magic back, the amount of bookkeeping should be dramatically reduced.

===================

Edited character with more detail, no Flurry.

Avoraciopoctules wrote: Aetheros
Neutral Aasimar Curator 5
Strength: 9 (-1)
Dexterity: 12 (+1)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 22 (+6) (increased by 1 at level 4, +2 from amulet)

HP: 5d8+5 (28)
BAB: +3
AC: 26 (10 + 8 Armor + 5 Shield + 1 Dex +2 Cover (from shield's second power))
Touch AC: Either 13 or 11
Incorporeal Touch AC: either 18 or 16
Flat-footed AC: 25
Fortitude: +5 (4 + 1) (+8 on saves against mind-affecting effects)
Reflex: +2 (1 + 1) (+5 on saves against mind-affecting effects)
Will: +7 (4 + 3) (+10 on saves against mind-affecting effects)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)

Attacks:
Luminous Bolt
+6 Ranged Touch Attack (Short Range)
3d6 Light Damage (6d6 for undead) + DC 18 Save or be Dazzled

Skills:
Diplomacy (Cha): +10 (4 Ranks + 6 CHA )
Heal (Wis): +11 (8 Ranks + 3 WIS )
Knowledge (Planes) (Int): +3 (2 Ranks +1 INT)
Knowledge (Religion) (Int): +2 (1 Ranks +1 INT)
Knowledge (Arcana) (Int): +2 (1 Ranks +1 INT)
Knowledge (Nature) (Int): +2 (1 Ranks +1 INT)
Profession: 1 rank (Goldsmith)
Sense Motive (Wis):+11 (8 Ranks + 3 WIS )
Spellcraft (Int): +2 (5 Ranks +1 INT)
Spot (Wis): +13 (8 Ranks +3 WIS +2 Race)
Tumble (Dex): +5 (4 Ranks +1 DEX)
Use Magic Device (Cha): +7 (1 Ranks +6 CHA)
Feats
[at level 1] Zen Archery
[at level 3] Curative Acolyte (description in sblock)
Someone has to carry the first-aid kit. Not you.

Benefit: You gain Spellcraft as a Class Skill if it wasn't already, and you can use Cure Minor Wounds as an at-will SLA that takes an attack action. The rest of the benefits depend on your ranks in Spellcraft.

4: you can also cast Cure Light Wounds, Delay Poison, and Purify Food and Drink once per hour each.

9: you can also cast Lesser Restoration, Remove Blindness/Deafness, and Remove Paralysis once per hour each. The previous tier of SLAs can now be used 3 times per hour. Cure Light Wounds upgrades to Cure Moderate Wounds

14: you can also cast Raise Dead, Restoration, and Remove Curse once per hour each. The previous tier of SLAs can now be used 3 times per hour. Cure Moderate Wounds upgrades to Cure Critical Wounds.

19: you can also cast Mass Cure Critical Wounds, Resurrection, and Greater Restoration 3 times per hour each. The previous tier of SLAs can now be used 3 times per hour. Cure Critical Wounds upgrades to Heal

Special: The damage/healing dice/mods for the SLAs granted by this feat are uncapped (For example, Cure Light Wounds is not capped at +5 to the hit points healed). All save DCs for the abilities granted by this feat are (DC 10 + highest mental ability modifier + 1/2 your level). All save DCs for the abilities granted by this feat are (DC 10 + highest mental ability modifier + 1/2 your level). Your caster level is equal to your character level.
[at level 6] Wings of Good OR Wings of Evil (Energy Wings)

Magic Item Slots and noteworthy mundane gear:
Magic Mithril Suit (No skill penalty)

Magic Force Shield (generated by a bracelet) (Provides shield bonus to AC against Incorporeal, +2 cover AC)

Amulet of Charisma (+2 at level 5)

Bag of Holding

x1 Masterwork Goldsmith's Tools + some gold to work with
x4 Daggers
x2 Noble's Outfit
x1 Ridiculous Adventuring Outfit (as seen in character portrait, worn over armor, includes armor padding)|
x100 pounds of assorted adventurer's gear (poles, chalk, iron flasks, chains, pulleys, tools, etc.)
x30 days rations

300 GP of assorted coins
Class Features:

Luminous Bolt (Su): As an attack action, a Curator may fire a bolt of light at her foes. This has a range of Close (25 feet +5 ft./2 levels), does 1d6 light damage per two levels of Curator (rounded up), and requires a ranged touch attack to hit. Any creature damaged by this attack must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + CHA + 1/2 your level) or be dazzled for one round. Undead and creatures specifically vulnerable to light take double damage, and incorporeal undead targeted by this effect have no miss chance due to incorporeality.

Benedictions (Su): At levels 1, 3, 5, and 7, a Curator learns a Benediction. Each Benediction requires an immediate action to activate, may target any creature the Curator can see within Close range (including herself), and is usable at will. The effects of a Benediction end at the start of the Curator's next turn, and the affected creature is surrounded by a faint glow while its effects persist.

Azure Aegis
• The target of your Benediction receives an amount of temporary HP equal to your ranks in the Heal skill.
• The target of your Benediction receives a +2 morale bonus to AC.

Blessing of the Crimson Sun
• The target of your Benediction receives a +2 morale bonus to all saves.
• The target of your Benediction is cured of one of the following status effects: dazzled, shaken, sickened, or magical fatigue (your choice at time of use).

Goldeneye
• The target of your Benediction gains a +5 insight bonus to Listen and Spot checks, and to resist enemy feints.
• The target of your Benediction gains blindsense out to 15'.

Spheres: At 2nd level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the Curator gains basic access to a Sphere, which must be one of: Exorcism, Mystery, Piety, Restraint, Revelation, Splendor, or Vigor (see below). If she selects a Sphere in which she already has basic access, she gains advanced access; if she already has advanced accesss, she gains expert access.

Basic Access: Restraint Sphere
Special: You gain a +3 bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects.
Level, Benefits
1 Entangle
3 Web
5 Stinking Cloud
7 Black Tentacles
9 Wall of Stone
11 Repulsion
13 Forcecage
15 Prismatic Wall
17 Temporal Stasis
19 Imprisonment

Heal Injuries (Sp): With a one minute ritual, a Curator of 4th level can heal a number of characters equal to her class level of a number of hit points of damage equal to her ranks in the Heal skill. This action may be taken a number of times per day equal to 3 + the Curator’s Charisma Modifier (if any), and all affected characters must be within close range of the Curator for the entire period.
------------
Background (no changes here from last version)
There are many beings and organizations throughout the planes that are willing to offer power at a price. One of these is a cult of magic-users based in Outland and a city in the Astral Plane who revere an entity that dwells in a tower of dark crystal. Initiates must pledge to strive to make the world a better, more beautiful place according to its standards. Perhaps unfortunately, it likes cruel irony, practical jokes, and horrifying hellscapes just as much as art galleries, and pretty landscapes. Aetheros was a middle-aged goldsmith and casual scholar before learning considerably more about the nature of the multiverse than he liked in a planar library. The cult seemed to offer the best deal for power and a shot at immortality he could afford.

Greatly changed first by an infusion of raw magical power and then by several years of training in light magic, few from his old life would recognize Aetheros now. Though generally a friendly and helpful person when it wouldn't cost him too dearly, he is bound by his oath to the master of the crystal tower and also feels a quiet fury at many aspects of the world, which causes him to take a great deal of satisfaction from violence. Aetheros came to this particular Material Plane in the hopes of finding a place he could start developing his skills and reputation on his own without worrying too much about offending a major planar entity. Once he's attained a decent amount of personal power, he intends to create a temple to his master somewhere on the plane.
[/spoiler]
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Unless more detail is needed for my PC, I'm ready. Just to be certain: this is a play-by-post game on TGDMB, right?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Unless more detail is needed for my PC, I'm ready. Just to be certain: this is a play-by-post game on TGDMB, right?
Well it could be IM or maptool, but I haven't been asking about available times.

so probably.

Everyone should just roll anything you need for your post however is easiest for you.

God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I like forum pnp.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I am definitely in favor of a forum game. I am mostly unfamiliar with IM software, but Maxus showed me the basics at one point, and I find the message board interface much more pleasant. For dice, I'm fine with whatever is easiest. If you want me to roll for my own character, I routinely carry a couple d20s in a vest pocket, so I should be able to provide rolls whenever I have computer access.

Haven't tried maptool before, but I tried experimenting with it twice, and I just didn't get enough out of it to justify learning a new system when I already had PCGen, Age of Wonders 2, and NWN. I would be willing to try playing in a maptool game, but only if there's existing interest in one.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Screenmonkey is fairly easy, or so my DMs say. We've only really used it for positioning and such, but IIRC it can do more.

Just a suggestion (Me? I'd never play Pbp).
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press