DC's Big Fat Zones

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DragonChild
Knight-Baron

DC's Big Fat Zones

Post by DragonChild »

So, I like to run online games. And I like clear-cut rules for tactical movements. And the majority of online mapping programs suck ass. For taking inspiration from Phone Lobster, I'm pitching DC's Zone Rules for a new system. Lemme know what you guys think:

Zones

First up, the combat is divided into zones, and how many there are and how big each is is determined by the DM on a case by case basis. If you're busting into the evil cultist church, you might have "altar", "middle area", and "enterance way". Zones are also connected to other zones - this is kinda hard to explain, but makes sense logically. You basically just imagine what the place looks like, and draw imaginary lines to cut it up into sections. You have to travel through connected zones to get there. Some fights may take place in only a single zone (such as a knife fight in an alleyway) or may add zones as you go on (like if one of the fighters ran out of the alley into the street).

In general, melee attacks, even melee attacks with weapons like longspears, are only against enemies inside your zone. Ranged attacks against enemies inside your zone are at a penalty. Area effects, like a fireball, hit everyone inside a single zone. A few LARGE area attacks may hit someone inside a zone, and in all adjacent zones (example: a warrior's fear-inducing shout may frighten enemies in adjacent zones as well).

At the begging on combat, initiative is rolled, highest being best. The person who rolled highest on initiative chooses if to start with the Combat Round or the Movement Round, and the rounds alternate from there.

Combat Round

The combat round procedes from highest initiative to lowest. During the combat round, characters make attacks, heal allies, cast buffs, etc. I'm thinking two actions, similiar to 4e's Standard/Minor or 3.5's (especially the Tome) Standard/Swift, but this is variable based on the system. OVerall, this stuff is pretty basic and clear-cut.

Movement Round

This is where it gets tricky. What I have for the Movement Round is entirely not-finalized ideas at this part, that I need opinions on.

The Movement Round starts from lowest initiative to highest. Any enemy inside the same zone you are is considered Blocking. When you move, you move from one zone to an adjacent zone. If there are Blocking enemies, you are forced to make a Movement Roll. Things such as Agility scores, class features on classes like "Fencer" or "Rogue", and similiar give bonuses to the Movement Roll. Things like natural combat ability, being a defensive class, etc, give bonuses to your Blocking. If your side outnumbers the other inside a zone, that also provides an advantage (although not nearly as high as one as just being higher level would be).

If your character passes the movement roll, he moves from one zone to another without issue. If he fails, he (doesn't move/gets hit by an attack/both?). Once your character has moved, he is no longer considered Blocking for the rest of the Movement Round. So if your character moves, you're giving up any sort of Blocking advantage, and you can't delay at all.

Thoughts? I have a feeling there are some giant flaws that I'm missing. Does this over complicate things? Does it sound like it would slow down play? Give too high of a bonus to large initiative checks? I'd be inclined to make initiative rolled every combat turn, as that seems like it would help a lot, but I'm also worried that that would significantly slow down online play.