URL tag does not handle links with non alphanumeric

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

URL tag does not handle links with non alphanumeric

Post by tzor »

characters.

This is especially important when dealing with wiki; spaces and quotes are common. Spaces might be difficult in general without allowing "" within the url code (as it the case for quote) but the use of single quote can prevent the url tag from parsing and will cause the auto parser to stop at the single quote as well.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

This is a known bug/feature of the software. However, I think you can use hex codes to replace the offending characters. Let's see... (this was the first page I found on wikipedia with a paren; I got there from the random page and started clicking links.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcopal_ ... ed_States)

Wikipedia page

Both of those should be broken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcopal_ ... _States%29

Wikipedia page

Both of those should work. You can find an ASCII chart here. To encode it in a URL tag, find the hexadecimal number of the character you need and stick a percent sign in front of it. So, for example, ( becomes %28.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Good point, Z.

Thanks!

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

It's nice to know there is a workaround. Thank's Z!
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

This thread does remind me, also, that I've been meaning to hack the database to make the title field larger.

* makes a mental note for this weekend *
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson