The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Name Changing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> About the Gaming Den
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Name Changing Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, how is that done?

Keeping with my overdone DDR-theme, I want to change my name in accordance with standard procedure and I think it is about time.
Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
shadzar
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Someone with database access would have to manually change your name. This version doesn't come standard with a script to execute the change throughout the database to make sure your posts are properly connected.

Granted it is only about 3 fields that needs changed, but it would leave people confused when your old name comes up in older posts.

There is a hack for the board that COULD be installed to do this automagically IF the administration so chose it worth the time to allow name changes.

But that is just my back-end perspective on it.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, there's an option in the admin control panel (General Admin -> Configuration) under the heading "User and Forum Basic Settings." It's a little yes/no option - allow username changes - and when the setting is yes, anyone can change their username in their profile.

It's currently set to no on this board.

Last edited by Maj on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadzar
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OMG No It is there! Doh

Yet another thing I probably removed from mine. ROFL

Last edited by shadzar on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After talking it over with fbmf, we're not going to enable the feature. However, name changes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To that end, Lago -- check your PMs.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zherog wrote:
After talking it over with fbmf, we're not going to enable the feature. However, name changes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To that end, Lago -- check your PMs.

Hooray ^-^.

I hated the name change feature or previous boards. You just don't know who is who if people keep changing their names. I mean it's fine on small boards like this one but huge ones jsut makes it bad.

Although while we have a low population our post count per topic is crazy so it would be bad in our case though.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to take the underscores out of my name if possible.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:

Should be done. Let me know if you run into any problems.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:cough: if possible, can my name just be Cynic without the preceeding "A_"

I know this is antithetical to what i just said earlier but I kept thinking about it and I decided to be a hypocrite.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same here.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sir Neil wrote:

Same here.

Should be done. Let me know if there's problems.

Orion
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is "Orion" available? "Boolean" was never my favorite username anyway, I got stuck with it after losing access to my old account. But my old account still exists, so you can't change me to that, even if I wanted it, which I don't.
mean_liar
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I ever decide its time to be nice I'll be sure to post here.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Boolean wrote:
Is "Orion" available? "Boolean" was never my favorite username anyway, I got stuck with it after losing access to my old account. But my old account still exists, so you can't change me to that, even if I wanted it, which I don't.

Yes, Orion is available. However, my hunch is that this would be the sort of name change fbmf is looking to avoid. I'll check in with the boss to see what he has to say, though.

Orion
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I have a pretty specific reason for wanting this:

Orion is seriously my actual, real name, and I'm no longer scared of having my name on the internet. In fact, now that I'm working on several community projects I *want* them attached to me.

EDIT: I'll also leave a reminder in my sig for a while. or, if you can change people's title (like Duke) you could make mine "nee Boolean."

Last edited by Orion on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crissa
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure Boolean mentioned that Boolean wasn't his preferred name before.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've passed it along to fbmf for review and his opinion. As I said, the decision isn't actually mine to make.

Crissa
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just adding hearsay.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A_Cynic wrote:
:cough: if possible, can my name just be Cynic without the preceeding "A_"

Fbmf has given this one the thumbs up. To make sure I get what you want the first time, the C should remain capitalized, yes?

Boolean wrote:

This one, too, has been given the fence building seal of approval. Capitalized O?

I should be able to get to both of these later, once we've confirmed spelling.

Cynic
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You got it right, Z.

THanks guys.

edit: Orion is a damned awesome real name. :-D

Last edited by Cynic on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cynic -- you're set.

Cynic
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zherog wrote:
Cynic -- you're set.

Danke. as usual the mods and admins of the Den are excellent.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, Zherog. That's been bugging me since the move to these boards.
Orion
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Orion with a capital O.

I link a lot of my friends to this board and want them to know who I am...
Zherog
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OK, you're all set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> About the Gaming Den All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: