Name Changing

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Name Changing

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So, how is that done?

Keeping with my overdone DDR-theme, I want to change my name in accordance with standard procedure and I think it is about time.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Someone with database access would have to manually change your name. This version doesn't come standard with a script to execute the change throughout the database to make sure your posts are properly connected.

Granted it is only about 3 fields that needs changed, but it would leave people confused when your old name comes up in older posts.

There is a hack for the board that COULD be installed to do this automagically IF the administration so chose it worth the time to allow name changes.

But that is just my back-end perspective on it.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Actually, there's an option in the admin control panel (General Admin -> Configuration) under the heading "User and Forum Basic Settings." It's a little yes/no option - allow username changes - and when the setting is yes, anyone can change their username in their profile.

It's currently set to no on this board.
Last edited by Maj on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

:omgno: It is there! :doh:

Yet another thing I probably removed from mine. :rofl:
Last edited by shadzar on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

After talking it over with fbmf, we're not going to enable the feature. However, name changes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To that end, Lago -- check your PMs.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Zherog wrote:After talking it over with fbmf, we're not going to enable the feature. However, name changes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To that end, Lago -- check your PMs.
Hooray ^-^.

I hated the name change feature or previous boards. You just don't know who is who if people keep changing their names. I mean it's fine on small boards like this one but huge ones jsut makes it bad.

Although while we have a low population our post count per topic is crazy so it would be bad in our case though.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I would like to take the underscores out of my name if possible.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I would like to take the underscores out of my name if possible.
Should be done. Let me know if you run into any problems.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

:cough: if possible, can my name just be Cynic without the preceeding "A_"

I know this is antithetical to what i just said earlier but I kept thinking about it and I decided to be a hypocrite.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I would like to take the underscores out of my name if possible.
Same here.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Sir Neil wrote:
Same here.
Should be done. Let me know if there's problems.
You can't fix stupid.

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Is "Orion" available? "Boolean" was never my favorite username anyway, I got stuck with it after losing access to my old account. But my old account still exists, so you can't change me to that, even if I wanted it, which I don't.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

If I ever decide its time to be nice I'll be sure to post here.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Boolean wrote:Is "Orion" available? "Boolean" was never my favorite username anyway, I got stuck with it after losing access to my old account. But my old account still exists, so you can't change me to that, even if I wanted it, which I don't.
Yes, Orion is available. However, my hunch is that this would be the sort of name change fbmf is looking to avoid. I'll check in with the boss to see what he has to say, though.
You can't fix stupid.

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Well, I have a pretty specific reason for wanting this:

Orion is seriously my actual, real name, and I'm no longer scared of having my name on the internet. In fact, now that I'm working on several community projects I *want* them attached to me.

EDIT: I'll also leave a reminder in my sig for a while. or, if you can change people's title (like Duke) you could make mine "nee Boolean."
Last edited by Orion on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'm pretty sure Boolean mentioned that Boolean wasn't his preferred name before.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I've passed it along to fbmf for review and his opinion. As I said, the decision isn't actually mine to make.
You can't fix stupid.

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I was just adding hearsay.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

A_Cynic wrote::cough: if possible, can my name just be Cynic without the preceeding "A_"
Fbmf has given this one the thumbs up. To make sure I get what you want the first time, the C should remain capitalized, yes?
Boolean wrote:Is "Orion" available? "Boolean" was never my favorite username anyway, I got stuck with it after losing access to my old account. But my old account still exists, so you can't change me to that, even if I wanted it, which I don't.
This one, too, has been given the fence building seal of approval. Capitalized O?

I should be able to get to both of these later, once we've confirmed spelling.
You can't fix stupid.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

You got it right, Z.

THanks guys.

edit: Orion is a damned awesome real name. :-D
Last edited by Cynic on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Cynic -- you're set.
You can't fix stupid.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Zherog wrote:Cynic -- you're set.
Danke. as usual the mods and admins of the Den are excellent.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Thanks, Zherog. That's been bugging me since the move to these boards.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Yes, Orion with a capital O.

I link a lot of my friends to this board and want them to know who I am...
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

OK, you're all set.
You can't fix stupid.