New Smilies

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

New Smilies

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Can we have some better smilies? Even the one on the old Nifty Message Board had better ones.

I miss the nonono head. And I think that Maj's kissing maid should be a standard.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

It's certainly easy enough to add smilies. What's here now should be everything that was on the "old" Den. It's possible I missed some, though, such as the :nonono: smilie.

Assuming fbmf is OK adding new ones, let me know what you want added (other than the two already mentioned). I just have to remember how to log into the server so I can upload them...
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

We totally need this one: Image

Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

While we are at it, could we please remove this one:

8)

I like wearing shades as much as the next guy, but this is a gaming forum, and a modified 18 is written as an 18 in parentheses. It's super annoying.

-Username17
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Wow - I thought I removed the 8-) (without the dash). I can recode that one now, easily.

edit: 8) now works without producing a smilie. if you want the guy with shades, the : cool: (without the space, obviously) still works.
Last edited by Zherog on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Hey Z, how about that simple hack to add a smilies section to the menu at top to just bring up a page with the available smilies, without having to try to post a message to see all of what is available?

When in doubt, you can always use the img tag to insert any smilie. Image
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

shadzar wrote:Hey Z, how about that simple hack to add a smilies section to the menu at top to just bring up a page with the available smilies, without having to try to post a message to see all of what is available?
It sort of already exists. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there's a "show smilies" link in the "Quick Reply" box.
When in doubt, you can always use the img tag to insert any smilie. Image
Sure. But if there's something somebody uses often, I can easily stick it on the server and make a code for it. In the grand scheme of maintenance that I do around here, that's one of the simplest tasks.
You can't fix stupid.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Then how about an alternate "oh no" type of smilie other than the "you gone to far", but more like a WTF smilie. I don't know which ones I like that are not copyright with vBulletin so would have to search open source for a WTF static face. But I think many people would use that in arguments around here. Like the current one for "spit", but without the laughing and more disbelief than humor attached to it. Also the D'oh smilie smacking yourself in the head. I am sure there is an open source or freeware one out there. :)
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

All of these smilies come from the Narutofan message board (as you might tell from the captions) but none of them are board-original or even creator-owned.

EDIT: AS FAR AS I CAN TELL.

If they are then someone please tell me, like the Gaia Online ones. It's too bad, because I really like the OMG NO smilie.
Image -- OMG
Image -- Facetious Smile
Image -- argh
Image -- gar
Image -- peeps be hatin'
Image -- awesome
Image -- heehee
Image -- RTM
Image -- headscratch
Image -- OT
Image -- party
Image -- flop
Image -- lookin' kinda cool
Image -- Sparta
Image -- SAY WHAT AGAIN
Image -- Copypasta
Image -- Uwah!
Image -- Hi-5
Image -- Rejected
Image -- Wow
Image -- Boogie
Image -- Facepalm
Image -- Quiet, you.
Image -- Big Frown
Image -- Toilet
Image -- Facepalm
Image -- Wussfight
Image -- Goose
Image -- Manly Tears
Image -- MJ
Image -- Sarcastic Laugh
Image -- Sarcastic Clap
Image -- Sarcastic ROFL
Image -- Bow
Image -- Sauve
Image -- Ummmm...
Image -- Kawaii
Image -- It's So Beautiful
Image -- Bees
Image -- Ban
Image -- Rant
Image -- Topic Closed
Image -- What now, brown cow?
Image -- What now, brown cow 2?
Image -- Laserbeam
Image -- Pleased
Image - Nah
Image -- Ecstatic
Image -- Drool
Image -- Aroused
Image -- Hmph
Image -- Whut
Image -- Huge Frown
Image -- Self-cheer
Image -- Pirate
Image -- Educate
Image -- Hiro

Image -- Noblewoman's Laugh
Image -- Hurr
Image -- What in the hell
Image -- ho likes it hard
Image -- Badass
Image -- Cry
Image -- Nuts
Image -- No Worry
Image -- D'OH!
Image -- OMG NO
Image -- Grossed Out
Image -- Twitch
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

"What in the hell" looks like at least one good one for the WTF smilie I was mentioning.

The "gah" or "OMG NO" is form Gaia Online, and I don't know if it is copyright or not, but a real good one.

The face palm, just needs some motion.

Most of those are pretty good. The monkeys kind of scare me.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Nice stuff, Lago. I've brought this thread to fbmf's attention, to see if he wants to add new smilies and if so which ones. If there's other requests, this seems like a good place to post 'em.
You can't fix stupid.

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
I'm fine with adding new smilies. Thank you for your help, Z.
[/TGFBS]
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Badass smiley (see: 'dat ass.jpg) and Awesomeface are the IP of /b/ and therefore anyone can use them just fine.

Gar is exactly what I was after with the quick edit I did.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I think that the awesome face predates /b/ and 4Chan, I think that it's the Something Aweful forums mascot.

or it's even older. I'm not sure.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I'm going to try to take care of these this weekend. In the meantime, I guess, we can keep the requests rolling in.

While I'm doing smilie maintenance.. are there any that should be removed because they suck hard? For example, has anybody ever used :borg: ?
You can't fix stupid.

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

:fart: :borg: :wink:

Those are the ones I say toss. Though the wink one could probably be replaced with a better version.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I don't much like seeing the fart one on the screen when I post (and have never see it used, other than this thread).

Incidentally, thanks for playing with these things more or less on our whims. Any chance of a button I could push to receive a bacon sandwich, or is that beyond the scope of coding?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I don't for sure if it's beyond the scope of the coding, but it's certainly beyond my skill set. :)

The default images that display when you post a reply are just the first 16 entered into the admin screen.

I'd be inclined to change the wink image rather than remove it; I'll see if I can dig through the database directly to determine if the other two have been used. There's certainly no harm in leaving them in the system, if worse comes to worse.
You can't fix stupid.

Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Alright...

The fart smiley appears in a total of 10 posts outside of this thread. Six of those posts were converted from the old forum - so it's been used 4 times since the conversion.

The borg smiley appears in a total of 14 posts outside of this thread. 12 of those are from the old forum, meaning it's only been used twice.

Given that both have been used (although infrequently) I'm inclined to leave them. However, I'll see about moving fart out of the top 16.
You can't fix stupid.

Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

:bolt:

That one consumes quite a bit of screen real estate on account of its width, and it makes the fourth column of smileys seem quite out of place since most in that column end up being surrounded by tons of whitespace. If there is another smiley to replace it with for the visible 16, then I'd much appreciate it.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Rearranging the "top 16" is tricky. There's no way to move a smilie up or down the list. However, I do tend to agree that this one image skews the whole column, so what I'll do when I perform the rest of the maintenance this weekend is delete that smilie from the list and then re-add it. That'll move it to the end, and put :shocked: in the top 16. And actually, I'll do the same thing with :fart: to move it out of the Top 16, which will push :razz: up into the list as well.

That's about the best I can do with the Top 16 list without deleting everything and recreating the list from scratch. In the meantime, if there's any further suggestions feel free to toss 'em out. Fbmf has requested that anything I add be close to the size of the existing images, so for example the MJ one is not going to be added. Most of the rest of Lago's list is good.
You can't fix stupid.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

You should be able to rearrange the smilie list unless this version of phpBB is earlier than 2.0.12.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

We're running 2.0.22.

* goes to look at the smilie maintenance page again *

edit: Nope, not seeing it. On the smilie maintenance page, I can edit or delete an existing image. If I click edit, I can change the code, the actual image associated with that code, or the text you see if the image doesn't display. Delete, I guess, is obvious.

For the whole section, I have three buttons: add smilie, import smilie pack, and export smilie pack.

Add, I guess, is obvious.
Import Smilie Pack lets me take a, er, smilie pack (a group of smilies bundled together) and import them.
Export Smilie Pack let me create a pack from the smilies here.

So, my hunch is that to do so would require me to create a smilie pack and then manipulate it to have things in the order I want. Assuming that's correct, I'll look into that later.
Last edited by Zherog on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Maybe I wrote my own script for inclusion in the admin panel. :embarrassed:

If you have access to the database, you can just change them there. Change the order in the primary key field that picks the first one, but making a new option for the admin panel for smilies would be a safer thing to do.

Sorry. I got so used to MY* version of 2.0.22 I forget what comes standard with it.

*Once you go hack, you never go back. :rofl:
Last edited by shadzar on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Yeah, I figured I could do it via the database with a series of update statements. In this case, though, it's probably easiest to just delete the two smilies and then re-add them at the end.
You can't fix stupid.