Anatomy of Failed Design: Exalted

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

fectin wrote:Water Dragon also makes you invincible for a turn, if I recall Depths of the Water Dragon correctly..
After errata, Bottomless Depths Defense costs 7m, 1 agg HL to use. It lasts for 1 attack and perfectly soaks the damage of one attack.

i.e. you just flurry a bunch of hits to defeat it.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Oh? Perfect soaks are better than nothing, and terrestrials don't have a lot of better options, but that's still pretty weak.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

fectin wrote:Oh? Perfect soaks are better than nothing, and terrestrials don't have a lot of better options, but that's still pretty weak.
Got nerfed pretty hard. Used to be it was 3m 1 ahl for a tick's worth of immunity to damage. The ahl cost also counts as a Flaw of Invulnerability, so the new language which disadvantages Charms with such Flaws kicks in.

The thing about Water Dragon Style is that it complements Lunar Exalted much better than other types of Exalts. In Relentless Lunar Fury, for instance, your Charm dicecap increases to Attribute + Essence. Water Dragon Form increases your MA rating by your Essence. Lunar Charms make up the rest. So for a very minimal mote investment you can roll around with a pretty big attack pool on things.

For other people, Solar Hero Style is actually a pretty good martial art, especially with the expansions (and since you're a Solar, you have Solar-grade defensive Charms to go with it).

Arms of the Unconquered Sun gives you selectable immunity to a variety of attacks, including the ability to copycat the powers of other martial artists through Crowned Sun Form. It also has solid defenses and has a lot of options, plus the ability to mode-switch between five different Forms via the Heaven-and-Earth Stairway.

Disco Ninja Crystal Chameleon Style lets you use stealth with full anima flare, which is a very powerful tool since most Exalted combat assumes that stealth is impossible outside of ambushes (note that virtually every single splat still has a surprise negator; this just gives you an advantage in pitched combat).

Throne Shadow Style is mainly interesting because you can use other people as your unarmed martial arts attacks, which means you can augment a warstrider's attacks with your own Sidereal Fate Ninja shit. It deals with quietly and efficiently removing foes.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Actually, every perfect had a flaw before (and presumably after as well). The AHL counting as the "flaw" was fantastic, because you couldn't be maneuvered out of having a perfect defense.

If you're a solar though, you have infinitely better options. Yeah, you could spend your XP on hitting people super hard, but you can also spend it on rewriting reality arbitrarily to suit your tastes. And, as ever, rewriting reality is the best option.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

fectin wrote:Actually, every perfect had a flaw before (and presumably after as well). The AHL counting as the "flaw" was fantastic, because you couldn't be maneuvered out of having a perfect defense.
Thing is, if you're smart you'll fix things so you can't be maneuvered out of a perfect defense anyway, or take PDs which cover the holes in your defense (like say, as a Solar you take the compassion flaw which states you must be in the presence of someone or something you care about to use it, then play a narcissist who loves his battle gear) or some shit like that.

Meanwhile, there's several Charms which turn off or function worse when you use a Charm with a Flaw of Invulnerability, like the one which heals you or lets you regain motes. Plus, 1 ahl is still 1 ahl.
If you're a solar though, you have infinitely better options. Yeah, you could spend your XP on hitting people super hard, but you can also spend it on rewriting reality arbitrarily to suit your tastes. And, as ever, rewriting reality is the best option.
The Primordials were the premiere reality hackers and they still got pwnt by the respawning Exalt zerg. The fact is that you still need to be a combat badass or know a combat badass in order to survive in Creation. It's also why Dawns suck, because they 1) have being a combat badass written into their schtick, but everyone else is also expected to be a combat badass 2) the rules for them don't actually support them being that much more badassful than the others 3) they pay for their comparatively minor advantage with increased costs for the finer things in life, like reality hax.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:The Primordials were the premiere reality hackers and they still got pwnt by the respawning Exalt zerg. The fact is that you still need to be a combat badass or know a combat badass in order to survive in Creation. It's also why Dawns suck, because they 1) have being a combat badass written into their schtick, but everyone else is also expected to be a combat badass 2) the rules for them don't actually support them being that much more badassful than the others 3) they pay for their comparatively minor advantage with increased costs for the finer things in life, like reality hax.
Part of the reason Primordials were pwned is because they had acual, interesting, meaningful flaws in their PDs. Ebon Dragon is pwnd by Holy, Malfeas is pwnd while in the wilderness, Adorjan is pwnd if she stops, etc. Solars are fucking munchkins with flaws "Can't retreat".
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

As a 2E Eclipse-caste Solar of Ess 4-6, what cross-splat charms should I have my eyes on and what combos should I be putting together that's not from Dragonblooded or Lunar?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Longes wrote:
Silent Wayfarer wrote:The Primordials were the premiere reality hackers and they still got pwnt by the respawning Exalt zerg. The fact is that you still need to be a combat badass or know a combat badass in order to survive in Creation. It's also why Dawns suck, because they 1) have being a combat badass written into their schtick, but everyone else is also expected to be a combat badass 2) the rules for them don't actually support them being that much more badassful than the others 3) they pay for their comparatively minor advantage with increased costs for the finer things in life, like reality hax.
Part of the reason Primordials were pwned is because they had acual, interesting, meaningful flaws in their PDs. Ebon Dragon is pwnd by Holy, Malfeas is pwnd while in the wilderness, Adorjan is pwnd if she stops, etc. Solars are fucking munchkins with flaws "Can't retreat".
THis is a big part of why I prefer playing infernals over solars. Infernals have much more interesting weaknesses in the different ability chains.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:As a 2E Eclipse-caste Solar of Ess 4-6, what cross-splat charms should I have my eyes on and what combos should I be putting together that's not from Dragonblooded or Lunar?
Spirit charms. Principle of motion is autowin; the ones that increase your willpower/essence are tasty, and there's one that lets you teleport across creation (Hurry Home, maybe?). You can even find most of them in the core book.

Raksha are deeply weird, but if you're willing to commit to that, they are fairly (ab)useable. Remember that uncapped demesnes count as Wyld (bordermarches, IIRC, but that's still useable). Comboing those with the ignore-all-shaping charm, and Wyld Cauldron, and can make some nasty surprises (and you're going to do that, because clkimbing the crafting trees lets you turn downtime into power).

Sidereals used to have the only remaining scene-length dice adder, which was impressive (blade of the Battle Maiden). Dunno if that got nerfed. Avoidance kata is nice; you can mulligan any encounter (like a retroactive perfect defense).

Undead pets are, as ever, broken and powerful. It doesn't take a lot of tree-climbing to get them either.

I never looked very closely at Infernals, but IIRC their trees are wildly different, and you might be able to use those paths to get the same stuff you would anyway, for less XP.

IIRC your dice caps are technically associated with the specific excellency you're using, not the type of exalt you are. For anyone other than an Eclipse, it doesn't come up, but you can get more favorable caps than other people. It's situational, but occasionally worth noting. Double-check that though.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Silent Wayfarer wrote: The Primordials were the premiere reality hackers and they still got pwnt by the respawning Exalt zerg.
This is a non-argument in powerlevel discussion. The Primordial War was won by authorial fiat (if nerds on game forums can think of a half-dozen way for the Primordials to beat Exalted respawn, my favorite being a super contagious disease, which only effect is "make the host reject Exaltation" and which perfectly protects itself against all cures thanks to the universal primacy of defense over offense in 2E, then godlike beings surely can invent more).

The problem with reality hacking, as far as I remember the gyst of optimization discussions back then, was that with a very few exceptions from Sidereal arsenal it really did jackshit against combat turtles, who could just perfect everything away and stab you in the face. Your best bet was to apply stuff like Wyld Cauldron to craft yourself better equipment for murderizing people.
Last edited by FatR on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

fectin wrote:Principle of motion is autowin;
It was in 1E. But if I remember all the limitations correctly, Roll of Glorious Divinity nerfed it to shit in 2E. Sure, it still can be useful to store actions in advance and alpha strike people on your first combat tick, but actually invoking it in an ongoing combat is a really foolish idea.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

FatR wrote:
Silent Wayfarer wrote: The Primordials were the premiere reality hackers and they still got pwnt by the respawning Exalt zerg.
This is a non-argument in powerlevel discussion. The Primordial War was won by authorial fiat (if nerds on game forums can think of a half-dozen way for the Primordials to beat Exalted respawn, my favorite being a super contagious disease, which only effect is "make the host reject Exaltation" and which perfectly protects itself against all cures thanks to the universal primacy of defense over offense in 2E, then godlike beings surely can invent more).

The problem with reality hacking, as far as I remember the gyst of optimization discussions back then, was that with a very few exceptions from Sidereal arsenal it really did jackshit against combat turtles, who could just perfect everything away and stab you in the face. Your best bet was to apply stuff like Wyld Cauldron to craft yourself better equipment for murderizing people.
Shaping is useless against Solars, because they have a very cheap charm that gives day-long resistance to it
FatR wrote:It was in 1E. But if I remember all the limitations correctly, Roll of Glorious Divinity nerfed it to shit in 2E. Sure, it still can be useful to store actions in advance and alpha strike people on your first combat tick, but actually invoking it in an ongoing combat is a really foolish idea
In Roll it gives (Willpower) extra actions. Errata all extra action charms to (Essence) actions
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Right. You invoke it after combat. It's an instantaneous effect which gives you a pool of extra actions that hang out until you've used all of them. So you never invoke it in combat, because you invoked it last Tuesday instead. Nominally, you can't invoke it again until after you've used up all the actions, but since you can burn those whenever you feel like, having bought this charm lets you roll up to every combat with [willpower] extra actions every time (and if it was nerfed to [essence] instead? Oh darn).

Not only is that RAW, it;s also RAI. You can tell because every spirit that has PoM also has an entry for how many extra actions they're carrying around in their pool at any given time.

It really is "pay now, use later."
Last edited by fectin on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

FatR wrote:

The best(and most underused) reality hack is to just initiate "mass combat"(which the rules let you do at any time even in a 1v1 fight). Anyone without points in war get fucked and if you carry around an npc(I have demon armor) you can get a free +4 to all your attacks and defenses.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Does one of the books have a list of poisons/hazards? I'm ideally looking for something that'd be a close fit for radiation sickness.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Koumei wrote:Does one of the books have a list of poisons/hazards? I'm ideally looking for something that'd be a close fit for radiation sickness.
Green Sun Wasting/Final Viridiscence from the Infernals book is pretty much intended to be an analogue for radiation sickness.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, I'll suggest that for Autochthonian Gamma Rays.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Koumei wrote:Thanks, I'll suggest that for Autochthonian Gamma Rays.
Just note, that Final Viridiscense is ridiculously deadly, and will kill a city in a few days. It's really weird that Infernals have such powerful mass destruction charm so early in the tree.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

Well in unfortunately not surprising news, the devs are sticking to the BP character generation system. The one that in 2e could produce a 200xp difference (theoretically) and easily 100xp right out of the gate at chapter creation. With the fixes in 2.5 this is not so bad (maybe 50xp); but still strikes me as dumb to put in a newbie trap by design. I'll be house ruling it if I bother to play. It does not give me confidence about the rest of their design methodology.

For reference in 2e, about 4 to 8 xp are supposed to be aware per session.
Last edited by Heaven's Thunder Hammer on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:Well in unfortunately not surprising news, the devs are sticking to the BP character generation system. The one that in 2e could produce a 200xp difference (theoretically) and easily 100xp right out of the gate at chapter creation. With the fixes in 2.5 this is not so bad (maybe 50xp); but still strikes me as dumb to put in a newbie trap by design. I'll be house ruling it if I bother to play. It does not give me confidence about the rest of their design methodology.

For reference in 2e, about 4 to 8 xp are supposed to be aware per session.
Old news. Jon Chung argued for 20 pages with Holden about that on rpg.net half a year ago.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Longes wrote: Old news. Jon Chung argued for 20 pages with Holden about that on rpg.net half a year ago.
Do you have a link? Chung's rant can be pretty entertaining.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

FatR wrote:
Longes wrote: Old news. Jon Chung argued for 20 pages with Holden about that on rpg.net half a year ago.
http://forum.rpg.net/search.php?searchid=811750

Read his posts in the "[Exalted] Still no reveal on the new combat rules" thread.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Longes wrote:
FatR wrote:
http://forum.rpg.net/search.php?searchid=811750

Read his posts in the "[Exalted] Still no reveal on the new combat rules" thread.
No matches
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Search, including find all posts by user, has been disabled on rpg.net for as long as I remember.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Fucking hell guys, is your google fu that shitty?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?725 ... les/page44

-Username17