Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Post by erik »

And if you read the Wikipedia link it lists a few other names for fear of needles. I didn't actually know the answer earlier that when you asked but it took me 15 seconds to find out.

So, what Maj said. I think the proverb goes something like: Set a man on fire and he is warm the rest of his life.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Poo. Googles is boring, it doesn't give the same level of snark.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

So . . Frank . . be honest for a second here please.
Since the beginning of your medical carreer, did you ever phone friends or family and started the call with the words:"now don't be alarmed, but i am at the hospital right now"
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, here's a random and kinda bizarre question that my drug-addled brain is insisting is pressingly urgent: Say you've got an amazing 50-foot colossal man-person. Now, if you were to stab his big toe, would he feel it immediately, like a normal man-person would, or would it take Glenn awhile to feel it because his nervous system is $TEXAS big? Like, would the pain signal take awhile to get to his brain because it has to travel so far?
Half asleep upon my knee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/DavidParizh.shtml
If you stub your toe, you feel the pressure right away because touch signals travel at 250 feet per second. But you won't feel the pain for another two or three seconds, because pain signals generally travel an only two feet per second.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, if I'm reading that right, than a giant human's pain response would be slower than that of a normal-sized person organism, because the pain impulse moves slowly and has to travel farther than normal to get to the brain.
Half asleep upon my knee
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

If you stab a fire giant in the foot, it won't feel the pain until the next combat round.

This absurdity actually makes me wonder. With the speed of light being what it is (which is ridiculously fast, if you were wondering), I assume lag in neural activity is the result of delays at inter-component junctions. So, do really tall people have longer neural segments or more neural segments? Because if it's the former, then it's more accurate to say pain signals travel one human body length per three seconds, and if it's the latter, then giants really would have comically delayed pain responses and that's just awesome.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LargePrime
Apprentice

Post by LargePrime »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_permittivity

the delay is more than the interconnects.

I think we can assume tall people just have more interconnects. its not like the systems scale to the variations in the specie. like, bones are longer, not like the cells and systems are bigger
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I'm pretty sure the actual delay is structural in some way, and not at all to do with the speed of either electrical or chemical signal propagation. The fact that different kinds of neural signals travel at different speeds is pretty damn good evidence of that.

But regardless, electron speed does not really matter for the same reason it does not matter when you start your car; you don't need to get a specific electron from point A to point B, everything in the system is already saturated with electrons and you just need to push on one of the close ones for one of the far ones to pop out. I have never seen velocity factor measured in anything less than a double digit percentage of the speed of light, and that is negligible when we are trying to explain delays of a couple seconds on the scale of the human body.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

My nervous system biology is really rusty, and was never that great to begin with, but I believe the speed of nervous signals has to do with both the size of the axons and the level of myelination - a type of coating on the axons that insulates it an increases speed - as well as the number of axons in the transmission chain. Larger axons carry faster action potential because of increased internal resistance.

So certain organisms that have giant axons - like squid - are capable of super-fast nervous responses - which is why squid can jet away from danger so quickly.

In the case of giants in D&D, since they are basically scaled up humans, we can presume that their axons and myelination scale up accordingly (this messes with cellular biology, but who cares) and therefore the speed of their neurological responses is preserved.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Is it me, or has the Star Trek franchise been going out of its way to go farther and farther back in its timeline? For the last 16 years, nothing has been done past the Kirk era.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, it's weird. I feel like we should be in the position where the nostalgia kick is for the TNG/DS9 era, but nobody seems to want to play in that era.

Fuck, I would still set most anyone on fire for a good ST anthology series. If I had any relevant connections I would never stop pitching that idea. I may have to try doing it myself as a fan audio drama, just to quiet the demands of my brain.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I may have to try doing it myself as a fan audio drama, just to quiet the demands of my brain.
Make a note somewhere that I'd be down to voice someone if you ever go for this, whether as a bit part or a main character (or several - I don't have a spectacular range, but I doubt anyone would mind if the guy who did Spock in the TOS era did Worf in the TNG era, since those two characters won't ever be talking to each other).
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

They should do a mirror universe series damn it <.<

Also, i want more Babylon 5!
Or at least a Blu-Ray version.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Stahlseele wrote:Also, i want more Babylon 5!
I don't understand this desire. I was and am a Babylon 5 fan, but the series was uneven at the best of times and every piece of content after Season 4 – from the last season, to the later movies, to the successor series and failed pilot for the other successor series – was cold boiled ass. That property had a hard expiration date and it was a long time ago.

On the other hand, I would like to see another show in the Bab5 mold, with uncomfortable politics and space armadas and such, maybe even with a noir cast on it. Unfortunately, the BSG remake seems to have shit the bed so hard that its entire TV genre died for at least a decade, and almost all the space shows today are in the mold of Firefly. It's a result that seems so completely bizarre, because in 2004 BSG was an acclaimed prestige show and Firefly had lived for three months and been dead for a year, but here we are.

Hell, Bab5's budget being what it was, you could probably turn out production values of equal quality today just making shows from your living room and laptop. It worked for Star Trek: New Voyages.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

it was good scifi shlock, massfabricated to cater to the tastes of the masses.
i am a pretty big mass, so of course i liked it.
or i could do with a new seaquest DSV series.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

virgil wrote:Is it me, or has the Star Trek franchise been going out of its way to go farther and farther back in its timeline? For the last 16 years, nothing has been done past the Kirk era.

Nemesis soured Paramount on TNG era movies. Voyager soured them on TNG era shows. The Kirk era is the one that they're sure can draw in the audience.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Okay the is killing me; Someone here posted a class and title generator a long time ago. I can't find it anymore. Google just gets me annoying results, that are charts most the time. Anyone remember where this site is?
I have currently hit the ignore feature 5 times on accident, and only once on purpose. This has got to be some kind of record.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

hyzmarca wrote:
virgil wrote:Is it me, or has the Star Trek franchise been going out of its way to go farther and farther back in its timeline? For the last 16 years, nothing has been done past the Kirk era.

Nemesis soured Paramount on TNG era movies. Voyager soured them on TNG era shows. The Kirk era is the one that they're sure can draw in the audience.
But, like, Enterprise was set a century before Kirk, we've had the reboot series set in an alternate universe of Kirk's time, we've got Odyssey set about a decade or more before "The Cage". I think the 22nd and 23rd centuries have been pretty firmly explored and mined, and I for one am tired of it.

Let's get some shit set in the 25th century, damnit! I wanna see what happens to the Federation next, not on what's already happened to it.*

*(Although... it would be cool to see a series focused on the Euginics Wars. Any excuse to see alternate versions of the nineties is a plus, in my book.)
Half asleep upon my knee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Oh yeah, the prequel where the eugenic wars end with the arrival of the vulcans after cochraines first warp flight would be an idea as well.

AND THEN GIVE ME THE MIRROR UNIVERSE DAMN IT!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Eugenics Wars need to be rewritten to take place later in the timeline. There's plenty of blank space between even Enterprise and modern day, so no reason not to move the point of divergence of the fictitious timeline from the real one into the future.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Shrapnel wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:

But, like, Enterprise was set a century before Kirk, we've had the reboot series set in an alternate universe of Kirk's time, we've got Odyssey set about a decade or more before "The Cage". I think the 22nd and 23rd centuries have been pretty firmly explored and mined, and I for one am tired of it.

Let's get some shit set in the 25th century, damnit! I wanna see what happens to the Federation next, not on what's already happened to it.*

*(Although... it would be cool to see a series focused on the Euginics Wars. Any excuse to see alternate versions of the nineties is a plus, in my book.)
I agree. But Paramount and CBS want the easy money, not any risk-taking.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I guess it got resolved, but for awhile, the court had trouble finding jurors for Shkreli's trial.

What actually happens if a court cannot find impartial jurors for a trial?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

How the hell do you respond to people who brazenly state that there's no discrimination or racism issue in the States (specific events are treated as anecdotes)?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Personally, I strive to never be in a position to respond to them.

....I like my bubble, it's safe and not so infuriating here.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.