How many people are looking at our threads?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

How many people are looking at our threads?

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm surprised that the Pathfinder thread has over 22,000 views despite its small and weak size.

We have only about 30 dedicated posters to this board, so we must be getting a lot of outside traffic.

People out there, don't be shy. You know I love you. Except for you, dbb. You know what you did.
Morzas
Apprentice

Post by Morzas »

It could be spambots.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

There's also people that lurk most of the time, but check the thread every third post (me for example).
A Hammer
Apprentice

Post by A Hammer »

I came for the Tomes, but remained a lurker because the combination of game design and frothing-at-the-mouth lunacy is entertaining to read.

Also, the Pathfinder thread in particular is pretty grandstanding, and so I imagine that people who normally don't lurk here end up getting linked to it.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Much like ubernoob, I'll come by to some threads and check them every day for progress, but not actually write anything. So there could just be a lot of that.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I've seen links to threads on both the GitP forums and the WotC forums. That has potential to generate a lot of reads if people who see those links as part of a conversation click on the link.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

-nod-

That's... actually pretty interesting. I wonder who does the linking; and if they would show us threads where our stuff is linked? Sometimes it's interesting to see more viewpoints.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Google tgdmb.com site:gleemax.com

Naturally, this won't do much because wizards forums are in the state they are now.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Hmm, that's an idea. Thanks.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
A Hammer
Apprentice

Post by A Hammer »

http://www.dreamscarredpress.com/dragon ... =7765.html

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120422

You could most likely find at least a few others with a bit of patience and/or search-fu.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'm shocked, shocked I say!- to find that people are offended and unable to see past our penchant for profanity and nerd rage. I initially felt some desire to speak on our behalf, but I'm over that impulse now.

Oh well. I'm not given to cussing around overly often, but if I and everyone else had to sit on my tongue here I'd probably lose interest.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

You know, since you did post that link I had to visit the GITP site.

Either they are mellowing or I'm just getting used to a bunch of cry babies who would rather complain about a site's "moderation" than about the content thereof.

Still, the thought that there was actually someone there who defended Frank.

Who knew?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, they were far more reasonable than usual.

...Of course, it's not the insults aimed at Frank (and us) that get moderated.

-Crissa
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I am surprised and worried that people don't see near-self-moderation as the best thing ever since electric kettles.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You should read more unmoderated threads at newspapers online if you believe that, Starmaker.

-Crissa
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I meant effective self-moderation, not newspaper or youtube comments or /b/. It's a wonder, and it's awesome.
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

Well, I sit around the forum most of the day, or rather, I leave the browser open when I go about my business. Whenever I sit down for a moment, I briefly check the on-goings. This forum is one of the most interesting and entertaining reads that can be approached whenever I happen to have a few minutes to spare. Similar to a frequently updated webcomic. But better.

I sort of followed a buddy of mine here, though he hasn't been active for a while because of academic pursuits. I myself am not planning on being very verbal, mostly due to having little to contribute (not much of a mechanical expert and only have a moderate understanding of higher tier mathematics and astrophysics.)

I also do tell people to check out some of the threads (for either information or entertainment - mostly K for the first, Frank for both and shadzar for the latter) and I'm hence doing my part to boost the reader base.

And hi, I'm Reddie from Finland and I will be falling back to anonymity and obscurity now.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I've observed that the "view counter" counts up whenever the page containing the thread is opened. 22,000 people did not view the thread, the thread was viewed by people 22,000 times; big difference. what is more likely is that ~30 people posted ~20 times each and ~400 people opened and read the thread each time someone posted in it.

If all 800 or so regestered Denners had watched the Pathfinder thread like a hawk it would have crested 400,000 views easily.
Last edited by Hicks on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

I've veiw for months never really bothering to log in even till recently...
Really this is the "big boy" board, if you're not thick-skinned, and MORE importantly if you don't have you ideas/arguments in good order you'll get your ego popped. Some people can't take that so they lurk and/or bitch or only contribute when they have something valuable to add.

edit...
The biggest argument on any other board is about "profanity". I really dislike these people. It's like who is doing this to the world where saying "fuck" or "[EDITED]" is an excuse to say: You're arguement is invallid. Its poor. . . and hypocritical. They use non-direct slights and say this is "witty" but really a "fuck you" is likely the most valid response. *sigh*
edit 2: I am amazed that I can say the f-bomb but not the c-word. .... alas.
Last edited by Midnight_v on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Tshern
Journeyman

Post by Tshern »

Red Archon wrote:I sort of followed a buddy of mine here, though he hasn't been active for a while because of academic pursuits. I myself am not planning on being very verbal, mostly due to having little to contribute (not much of a mechanical expert and only have a moderate understanding of higher tier mathematics and astrophysics.)

And hi, I'm Reddie from Finland and I will be falling back to anonymity and obscurity now.
Too late, you have been spotted.
Joe, who plans to own Newall's Plumbing Company, asked the presidential hopeful about his plan to increase taxes for some Americans. He felt that Obama's increase plan may redistribute wealth.

"Robin Hood stole from greedy rich people and redistributed it to the peasants, so to speak, so if he's [Obama] calling us peasants, I kind of resent that," -Joe the Plumber, a Republican.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Hicks wrote:I've observed that the "view counter" counts up whenever the page containing the thread is opened. 22,000 people did not view the thread, the thread was viewed by people 22,000 times; big difference.
This is correct.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Midnight_v wrote:I've veiw for months never really bothering to log in even till recently...
Really this is the "big boy" board, if you're not thick-skinned, and MORE importantly if you don't have you ideas/arguments in good order you'll get your ego popped. Some people can't take that so they lurk and/or bitch or only contribute when they have something valuable to add.

edit...
The biggest argument on any other board is about "profanity". I really dislike these people. It's like who is doing this to the world where saying "fuck" or "[EDITED]" is an excuse to say: You're arguement is invallid. Its poor. . . and hypocritical. They use non-direct slights and say this is "witty" but really a "fuck you" is likely the most valid response. *sigh*
edit 2: I am amazed that I can say the f-bomb but not the c-word. .... alas.
That's b/c the c-word is really fucking offensive. I think it's the sound of it that makes it something that bothers me. Then again, I've never used the word ever, and honestly, don't know what it means as an insult.

In any case, we use profanity to accentuate specific parts of what we're writing.

Like how I want freaking sharks, with freaking lasers in their eyes.