Error message

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Error message

Post by Koumei »

Basically whenever I post, I get this error message:
Could not connect to smtp host : 10060 : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
It still actually posts (though I didn't realise that at first, so had to go back and delete extra posts), I just get that message. Is there a way to fix this at all, or is it just an annoying little oddity to ignore?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

SMTP is the SendMail Transport Protocol, used by pretty much all email accounts. The board probably attempted to send notification emails ("someone posted in this thread") and is parrotting the error instead of sending it to an Admin. Basically, the boards email no worky.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

I'm getting the error, and I don't have e-mail notifications on any threads.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

Other people do.

Edit: Further exposition. When you make a post it sends the email notifications to whomever it needs to as part of the same operation.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Heath's correct about what the problem is. I'll look into it. (and by "I'll look into it" I really mean "I'll ping Neil" ;) ).
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Seems to be fixed now. Thanks!
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

This error has been an intermittent problem on the boards for some time. It is just a random timeout because the SMTP service didn't respond quickly enough. Basically, the web server said, "Hi, I'd like to send this email. Please tell me when you are done," and then heard about the success or failure of the operation from the mail server.

I have the mail and web services running on separate machines (can't remember exactly why), so I'll look into consolidating them onto the same machine to see if that resolves the timeouts. If not, then simply swallowing the error may be the best solution and I'll work with Zherog to make that happen.
- Neil

Code: Select all

int getRandomInt() { 
    return 4; // obtained using roll of fair die 
              // guaranteed to be random 
}