Small Squad Combats: Eidos' Abomination

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Small Squad Combats: Eidos' Abomination

Post by Judging__Eagle »

So, I got my hands on a copy of Eidos' abomination a couple of weeks ago, and have played a few of the early missions; fighting plagued humans that are establishing a presence, assassinating visible cult leaders, and striking at enemy strongholds.

So far, it's been very interesting. Maps are tiny, so having a 4 man crew as your max in a mission is bearable.

Having only 8 people in your total roster is sort of annoying, especially if I want to slot in a fully healthy medium guns user to bring in an M60 for the decent damage it provides.

Some things I've learned

Equipment: Bring as little as possible.

Enemies: Looting bodies all the time.

Enemies carry ak-47's, and remington 870's in the first few missions; later M60's, flame throwers, RPGs, SPAS, heavy sniper rifles and some other things get carried by the opposition.

Usually with a fairly good complement of ammunition. I've taken to switching my entire roster away from the starting M-16's; and moving to an exclusively AK-47 use method.

This is because I'll seldom go without being -overloaded- with enemy fire arms and ammo; and have a very limited stock of my own gear.

The game auto-gives a character 3 AK clips to go with their weapon; but I find that 2 is really enough; one for their weapon, one for a backup; and then enemies provide a ton of replacement ammo.

So far I've picked up: a few M60's (which 'count' as the same skill as an AK-47; but deal much more damage; they are also much heavier and will take up almost all of a character's carrying capacity); a flame thrower, an RPG launcher; some heavy sniper rifles; lots of AK-47's and reminton 870's.

I've taken to dumping partially used firearms, and picking up a fully loaded one, since you can't remove ammo from a weapon. Switching from 6 to 30 rounds before I leave a map, or before moving on to the next fight means I won't have to worry about a partially used clip and the attendant reloading; which can put a delay in the amount of firepower the team can throw down.

I haven't really gotten very far into the game; and I definitely haven't seen the giant rocket-launcher arms monsters that I recall being shown on the back of the game box when I first saw it over a decade ago, but I know they will show up, eventually.

Also, "Abomination" is... sort of a lovecraftian mythos inspired game. The intro video makes a decidedly blunt reference to "Elder Gods", and a death toll of global proportions. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Finally, not being able to look up how to play the game online, has made things frustrating. Not knowing how to use things like detonators on explosives; or how to properly deploy auto-turrets is going to cause me headaches for when I need to establish proper ambushes and "heavy enemy" kiting.

I'm sort of liking how the characters act independently, I find that telling them to move to a location, and then de-selecting them, gives them the best opportunities to engage enemies faster than I can tell them to do so.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Spike
Apprentice

Post by Spike »

Elements of game play you describe, how your squad seems to work anyway, sounds a lot like the original (and best) Ghost Recon.
This being the Internet it follows that Everything I say must be the Complete Truth or Utter Falsehood. I prefer both at the same time.