Upcoming EtCR campaign

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Guyr Adamantine
Master

Upcoming EtCR campaign

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

I'm preparing to run Expedition to Castle Ravenloft to a new group of players, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it.

I intend to use the Tome of Necromancy, but stick to regular D&D to accomodate the players. I'll probably post a campaign journal as the game unfolds.

Thanks for your help!
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I tried to run it once. Only noticed two real problems:
1) Fucking everything is undead. This gets annoying and boring after a while.
2) Strahd kind of blows.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

I'm actually running a Tome EtCR game right now. It's pretty solid for the most part. But anyone good at turning/rebuking undead is fucking rad in this game. Also, I can't find in the book where they were supposed to find out about the wilderness fanes. So I made something up, it worked well enough, but I'm sure it's in the book somewhere. Also, ubernoob is totally right, Strahd blows chunks. You should stat him out yourself and make him actually dangerous.
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You don't think a 10th level wizard with 70 hit points and a DC 20 cloudkill is a CR 15 encounter?

Honestly, the Tome of Necromancy rules would make that whole adventure a lot more interesting. You got Dark Minded Undead, you got Undead with Con Scores, you got Undead without. The whole range of undead crap.

In basic rules it's essentially just a bunch of 8 hit die undead with mild pallet swaps, but using ToN, a lot of those bad boys are noticeably different one from another.

-Username17