Friend of a Friend : Facebook Faux Pas

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Friend of a Friend : Facebook Faux Pas

Post by JonSetanta »

FoF (female gamer, mid-twenties, FB update recently): We took down a dragon!!! Hells Yay!!!!! :D

Me: What game, how many on your team, and what did you do?

A Girl: what he said

A Guy: Congrats, now you just have to make sure his children don't come after you for revenge. Also, what the others said we want details.

FoF: Using "The Book of Iron Might" in the Pathfinder module .... we blinded the red dragon, disabled its breath and bite and then used sneak attack and flanking (I'm a rouge so I got +5d6 hit die) to drain the hit points!

Me: Oh lawdy Pathfinder... the "fixed" 3e
Strange, how spells still break shit. I guess part of the fix is self-denial?
You did good it seems. I'm a lazy gamer though; nothing but blaster mages, or paralysis and a scythe.

FoF: Funny.....I don't remember asking for (me)'s opinion on Pathfinder.......? If you are a lazy gamer stick to DOOM and leave the RPG's to the real gamers >P bbrrrrrpppp

Me: I enjoy Doom and RPGs, but 3e is 3e no matter how Paizo might package it. It's not much different.

Old DM (had him a year ago, massive house-rule fan and Gygaxian "rocks fall hyuk hyuk" DM-tyrant, favors near-fatal crit fumbles in 3e): cool deal on killing the dragon. never played pathfinder myself.

Me: On further consideration, you are the better adventurer (FoF) Gunga Din. Takes courage to stick a giant beast with a bit of metal

FoF: Indeed......But it is not like I did it alone. Thank you's to (Dude1), (Dude2) and (Dude3) (who provided the dragon)....Proving once again that you don't have to be a blasty Mage to take down a dragon!

Old DM: blasty mage helps though

FoF: (Old DM), will you be my new DM? Mine will be leaving the country once our campaign ends? I hear you are first rate, and you have a sexy girlfriend to boot ;)

Comment: This is false. The DM-girlfriend's a manipulative queen bee that would put Gloria Steinem's shenanigans to shame. Kicked me out of the group because she didn't want "an alcoholic in the house", after offering vodka in every Eberron session. Cooks pastries well though.

Me: Actually blastermage is one of the worst choices for dragon hunting; you'd even be better off with a net-catapult and angry barbarian with axe in waiting, and that's saying something.
I only like it as a stereotype, probably from anime; in 3e D&D it outright sucks because ranged weapon criticals deal far more and far faster, and status effects make... Read More the low spell damage-to-target-HP ratio a moot point.
If (Old DM) DMs make sure he reads up on Pathfinder, and play "by the book"! I could volunteer if you don't mind a one or two shot, not a long-running thing.

FoF: No thanks, I love my current GM's style and (Old DM) has a good reputation....

Comment: Excuse me while I go QQ more. On further consideration, I decided this is not worth debating. I don't even like Pathfinder in the first place; just trying to get some diversity in GMing experience.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

OK. That's over. She dropped me from her list. I went ahead and dropped her boyfriend as well, even though I enjoyed his scientific discussions.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, I had someone block me last night after they couldn't manage a real argument.

Leave me with all the replies in my inbox I can't reply to, thanks. Grr.

-Crissa
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Troll with more elegance. It works wonders for me and my GOP acquaintances.

"Krauthammer, you crippled hack!" just doesn't cut it sometimes. :)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Crissa: I HATE THAT. Went back yesterday to see what her witty reply was, and noticed I couldn't view anything.

Ironically it had nothing to do with that. It was a comment on a mutual friend's update about someone stealing her food at work.
I recommended mild bleach or liquid TurboLax to catch the culprit.
She and another FoF took it seriously, bitchmoaned all over the place.

As far as jokes taken wrong, I wonder sometimes about the validity of my mental handicap compared to some other people I know.
Even in their defense they might have an apartment and career... they can't discern sarcasm or 'black humor' at all.

meanliar: I'm painfully cautious with GOP acquaintances. My mother's father for instance is a staunch elephantfag. He pushes the agenda passive-aggressively at family parties.

Made a comment about my day-old stubble last time, something about "Is this the look young men have now? What's this world coming to."
I declined to comment how his voting for McCain/Palin would have damned thousands of more lives each month, and entire generations further mired in debt and corruption, but whatever.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

...I don't get it. They didn't ask for, and obviously didn't want, your opinion on Pathfinder. You realized as much and shut up. Uh...is that the whole story? Is there a moral here or something?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sigma999 wrote:meanliar: I'm painfully cautious with GOP acquaintances. My mother's father for instance is a staunch elephantfag. He pushes the agenda passive-aggressively at family parties.

Made a comment about my day-old stubble last time, something about "Is this the look young men have now? What's this world coming to."
I declined to comment how his voting for McCain/Palin would have damned thousands of more lives each month, and entire generations further mired in debt and corruption, but whatever.
yeah, GOP, staunch conservative family members have really taught me the meaning of the phrase "discretion is the better part of valour"
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Yeah, those GOP acquaintances can be a boatload of fun: "I'm a veteran. If Kerry had been elected, I couldn't be held accountable for what I'd do to him". Yeah, this guy had the audacity to brag that he voted for Bush a second time.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Surgo wrote:...I don't get it. They didn't ask for, and obviously didn't want, your opinion on Pathfinder. You realized as much and shut up. Uh...is that the whole story? Is there a moral here or something?
Still trying to figure that out. I wonder if there is one at all.

It's similar to Frank and Keith's situation with Paizo, but on an extremely small scale.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Yeah, those GOP acquaintances can be a boatload of fun: "I'm a veteran. If Kerry had been elected, I couldn't be held accountable for what I'd do to him". Yeah, this guy had the audacity to brag that he voted for Bush a second time.
Kerry was a decorated veteran officer.

Bush ran away and went AWOL.

That's all that a veteran needs to know.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Judging__Eagle wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:Yeah, those GOP acquaintances can be a boatload of fun: "I'm a veteran. If Kerry had been elected, I couldn't be held accountable for what I'd do to him". Yeah, this guy had the audacity to brag that he voted for Bush a second time.
Kerry was a decorated veteran officer.

Bush ran away and went AWOL.

That's all that a veteran needs to know.
Yeah, that didn't seem to phase him; speaking out against the Vietnam war was considered far worse than shirking duty to do cocaine.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

lolitics

I've actually had quite the opposite experience--my Republican acquaintances are far cooler-headed than my Democratic acquaintances, who are much more YOU WANT TO CONTROL A WOMAN'S UTERUS GRAAAAGGGGH and IF MCCAIN IS ELECTED I'M MOVING TO CANADA AT LEAST THEY HAVE FREEDOM and THIS IS RELIGION IT IS MADE OUT OF DUMB AND SO ARE YOU FOR SUBSCRIBING TO IT.

EDIT: Wait, so what's the point of this thread? Dumb bitch was dumb; you probably shouldn't have trolled her, though.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Sigma, since when is Gloria Steinem known for "shenanigans?"
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

I'd guess the moral is something like 'Paizils are self deluded dumbfucks'.

Because as is usual for them, anything they're involved in is made of Fail.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

the moral is that other people are playing GM fiat balanced magical tea party and don't give two shits either way.

Winding them up aout it is not productive.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Boolean wrote:Sigma, since when is Gloria Steinem known for "shenanigans?"
Since always. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it sure does make for ultra-feminist publicity.

Roy and cthulhu: Pretty much. They've all unfriended, so they saved me the work. I didn't feel like seeing them again anyway, although I might at a mutual friend's college graduation party.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Venting:

Goddamned internet. It prevents people from fucking manning up and saying "I don't like what you have to say" and walking the fuck away. At least that way you know you look silly. This goddamned generation is all "I'm not going to talk to you on facebook", and "I'm secretly going to ignore your IMs".
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

...I don't get it. They didn't ask for, and obviously didn't want, your opinion on Pathfinder. You realized as much and shut up. Uh...is that the whole story? Is there a moral here or something?
Yes.

Avoid Facebook.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Yes.

Avoid Facebook.
Plus Fucking One.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Josh_Kablack wrote: Avoid Facebook.
It's not the site that's at fault.
It's certain people in it.
Or rather, in this world.

For instance I met the Pathfinder-girl's brother last night at a nerd party.
Cool guy, doesn't butthurt about anything.
He agrees, the girl's "a bitch sometimes" and it "wouldn't surprise (him) for her to do that".

But yeah, I should have known better than to discuss Pathfinder with a Paizil.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Bullshit.

People will always be douchebags, and there is nothing you can do about that.

But you totally can boycott sites which are all but guaranteed to have outcomes like these:
Leave me with all the replies in my inbox I can't reply to, thanks. Grr.
I HATE THAT. Went back yesterday to see what her witty reply was, and noticed I couldn't view anything.
It's not like there are not numerous other options for internet communications available.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

sigma999 wrote:But yeah, I should have known better than to discuss Pathfinder with a Paizil.
More like you should have known better than to butt in when your opinion wasn't wanted and served no purpose. Some people like playing Pathfinder, and it's not your divine mission to convert them.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Actually, because of the way services like Facebook work, that there are other options does not mean there is competition. The service has no value if those users are not there.

-Crissa
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Surgo wrote:
sigma999 wrote:But yeah, I should have known better than to discuss Pathfinder with a Paizil.
More like you should have known better than to butt in when your opinion wasn't wanted and served no purpose. Some people like playing Pathfinder, and it's not your divine mission to convert them.
Sure it is. It's called making the world a better and more intelligent place. It's also more socially acceptable than going GTA with Darwin's Chainsaw.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

No, Roy, it's called being a douche. If you want to make the world a better place, go work on solving the problems of extremely high levels of AIDS in Africa or how people all over the globe are starving because they can't find enough food to live. Thinking that it's your divine mission to convert people who enjoy Pathfinder, and that it somehow makes the world more intelligent, is nothing but douchebaggery.