Homebrew Tome Game [Sessions]

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The player for Cast has given a rather solid impression that he'll continue with the assumption of NPCs being probably antagonists, which he was moving towards long before the Shadowed Hand even showed up.

This was actually close to how the last campaign ended. I double-checked my notes, and there wasn't actually a single deception villain/combat except for the second-to-last fight where a nimblewright assassin posed as a researcher in the party's town; which immediately resulted in one of the players disavowing contact with EVERYONE (get w/in 65' and he attacks) except the rest of the party, and even that was strained because of paranoia that a party member might be a disguised assassin (thus never let them get too close).

However, the current situation with this campaign is looking grim. Ssevar'nac is a level 10 Totemist, and I honestly don't see a chance of Marshal and Cast surviving a solo fight with him (Purple Worm, Remorhaz, Manticore, Displacer Beast, Phoenix; as well as a flight item). Surrender isn't an option, because Cast will choose death first. With this kind of toll, it might actually be a good time to call the campaign a close.
Last edited by virgil on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

virgileso wrote: I double-checked my notes, and there wasn't actually a single deception villain/combat except for the second-to-last fight where a nimblewright assassin posed as a researcher in the party's town; which immediately resulted in one of the players disavowing contact with EVERYONE (get w/in 65' and he attacks) except the rest of the party, and even that was strained because of paranoia that a party member might be a disguised assassin (thus never let them get too close).
Wow, apparently D&D characters can get PTSD.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Does anyone have any suggestions on room for improvement, as a DM, based on what you've seen here? Judging by what Frank's hinted at, cutting back on potential treachery from NPCs would be a good thing (if only to prevent a repeat of the prior campaign).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Discuss the situation with your players, point out the direction things seem to be going and the fact that you don't like it, and see if both players and DM can make concessions to eliminate the problem now and reduce the chances of it cropping up in the future?