To-hit bonus in 4e

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

josephbt
Knight

To-hit bonus in 4e

Post by josephbt »

How can i get more to-hit bonuses for a fighter? STR, enhancement and...? I cant find any.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: To-hit bonus in 4e

Post by Username17 »

josephbt wrote:How can i get more to-hit bonuses for a fighter? STR, enhancement and...? I cant find any.
The most obvious one is your weapon. If your weapon of choice doesn't provide a +3 to-hit bonus, you need to invest a feat into an exotic version of the weapon that does.

Other than that, you mostly rely on powers from "leaders". Seriously even a Righteous Brand at high level will hand you an RNG skullfucking +9 to-hit.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Okay, you get a bonus for your attack rolls equal to one-half your level. Don't forget that; a lot of people seem to.

In the Player's Handbook 2, there's a feat called 'Weapon Expertise' that for a weapon group gives you +1 (untyped) bonus to hit, which increases to +2 at level 15 and +3 at level 25. You need this goddamn feat. This should be the first feat you pick unless the other feat you're grabbing is named Dwarven Stoneblood or Weapon Proficiency.

Fighters have a couple of powers that increase their to-hit roll. Settling the Score (MP, L6) is a daily where as an IR after someone hits you you gain a +2 power bonus to attacks against them for the rest of the encounter.

Regnant Shout (MP, L16) is a standard action close burst three that gives you a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against every enemy and is marked (save ends).

The Nimble Blade feat gives you a +1 bonus to attack rolls if you are attacking with CA with a light blade. Most fighters don't want anything to do with light blades, but that's why you have the double sword.

The Kensei PP in the PHB gives you a filthy +1 bonus to attack rolls with your chosen weapon at level 11.

The Son of Mercy PP (D366), after you hit a target of your Lawbreaker's Doom (class encounter power) with Blood Oath Fulfilled (L20), you get a +wis bonus to attack rolls against them for the rest of the encounter.

You can grab a Githyanki Silver Weapon (MOTP) and grab a Coif of the Mindiron (AV) and get a +1 item bonus to attack rolls when you use attacks with the Psychic Keyword... and GSW makes all of your attacks psychic. You can also combine it with Psychic Lock.

The easiest way to get extra attack as a fighter is to get Combat Advantage. The easiest way as a fighter to get Combat Advantage would be to grab a Frost weapon + Wintertouched feat + Lasting Frost--however this combo has the problem of being ineffective against enemies with cold/variable resistance and losing out on bennies if you're able to get Combat Advantage through some other means.

Fighters get a whole bunch of powers that help them grab combat advantage, though perhaps the easiest way is the At-Will Power 'Pass Forward' (MP 2), which when you are adjacent to an enemy you can move your speed around them without provoking OAs as long as you end adjacent to the enemy you would have otherwise provoked an OA from.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

But like Frank said, a lot of your bonuses to hit, especially at paragon and beyond, come from leaders.

Laser clerics hand out the fewest numeric bonuses but they have a lot of other advantages. Razor clerics have Righteous Brand, which is just one of the best powers in the game. At low levels you don't really need anything or anyone else, though they start to falter a leeeetle bit in epic tier. Tactical Warlords hand out freakishly large bonuses to-hit with their powers and class features--but they really don't come into their own until paragon and beyond. Bravura and Resourceful warlords are fine, too, but they pale in comparison to their Tactical buddies. There's no reason for you to play an Inspiring warlord.

I haven't looked through the bard class too much but it seems that most of their powers debuff the enemy rather than apply bonuses. I'm not sure what the fuck the shaman is supposed to be doing, most of their powers seem to revolve around getting the most mileage out of their silly spirit pact.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.