Call for an Anti-Trolling Rule

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

We need a rule against trolling. Vigorous arguement is one thing. Being blunt instead of beating around the bush is one thing.

Mocking and insulting other members of the site is another kettle of fish, and it adds nothing productive to treat it as tolerable behavior.
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Elennsar wrote:We need a rule against trolling. Vigorous arguement is one thing. Being blunt instead of beating around the bush is one thing.

Mocking and insulting other members of the site is another kettle of fish, and it adds nothing productive to treat it as tolerable behavior.
Leaving aside the part where you'd probably be the first to be reported for trolling, please have a warm glass of STFU. You've been spamming these boards with unproductive dreck since you first showed up, and hidden behind the lenient rules of the Den. If you don't like the atmosphere, don't come here. You will not be missed.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Angel: Leaving aside the fact that you're demonstrating why a rule against trolling would be a good idea...well, there's not much anything else in your post other than that demonstration.
Last edited by Elennsar on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

The den is legendary for being high on howlers. That's actually part of the appeal. The den isn't going to change for you, Elennsar.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Being legendary for being high on howlers is not a good thing, particularly when the howling is done instead of producing anything - whether with the new people or at all.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

no. just no. the appeal of this board is that we can get away with saying just about anything we want here, without fear of censorship or banning. This board is the fucking America of message Boards.

If you don't like it Elennsar, then kindly make a quick egress and don't let the anti-spam bot measures hit you in the ass on the way out.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

This board is the fucking America of message Boards.
That would explain why it is so nonproductive. Spitting venom is prefered to actually discussing gaming.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Elennsar wrote:
This board is the fucking America of message Boards.
That would explain why it is so nonproductive. Spitting venom is prefered to actually discussing gaming.
I'd like to respond with the great american saying:
"Fuck off"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Remind me why this is called the Gaming Den and not the Flaming Den again?

Seriously. The amount of actual discussion on games that isn't some form of mockery of whoever or whatever is ridiculously low for a group that claims to be familiar with and interested in this stuff.

Treating trolling as perfectly acceptable behavior just makes that worse.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

alright elennsar, you want things to get accomplished here? leave. to my knowledge you have not contributed anything, save a good reason for there to be an ignore function and plenty of thread derailment. So kindly choke on my magnificent pubic rod and leave, and we'll get back to talking about gaming.

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Your knowledge is mistaken.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

There have been many discussions on various game systems here, El. Seriously there have been many reviews of some products in the past. This place has been around for many years so there is a slew of discussion of gaming discussion. There still gaming discussion like TNE, Gaijin and many others.

Also there are rules against "trolling". Generally one can't throw around personal insults. Attacking someone's stance or work is fine, attacking the person isn't.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

There have been many discussions on various game systems here, El. Seriously there have been many reviews of some products in the past. This place has been around for many years so there is a slew of discussion of gaming discussion. There still gaming discussion like TNE, Gaijin and many others.
Most of the recent reviews being some form of "I can't believe this is that stupid." As for TNE and Gaijin, the amount of discussion spent on them is pretty slow...particularly given that those are about the only gaming things under discussion.
Also there are rules against "trolling". Generally one can't throw around personal insults. Attacking someone's stance or work is fine, attacking the person isn't.
Generally, the people who flame throw around personal insults and other insults gratituously. And just about none of those not actively engaged even raises an eyebrow.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Elennsar wrote:Your knowledge is mistaken.
Alright, I'm willing to admit I was wrong.

what's your proof? what have you contributed?

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Several things.

The fact that you do not agree with what I think is a good idea does not make it a bad idea.

So the question is, does the fencebuilder (who has thread closing powers) think we need to do something about the flaming/trolling besides what currently exists?

Because I don't think this is advancing either encouraging or not encouraging that at the moment.
Last edited by Elennsar on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

The fact that something was contibuted does not mean that it has value, either.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the fact that you won't say what the hell you contributed says something to me.

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

The fact that you won't look at what I've posted without seeking some way to mock it says more.

As does the fact you want an arguement in this thread about something having nothing to do with whether not the flaming and trolling going on here is harming the site.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

alright, fair point. I welcome your evidence of being worthwhile to the internet in my inbox.

The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Post by The Lunatic Fringe »

violence in the media wrote:The fact that something was contributed does not mean that it has value, either.
I disagree. To someone who is interested in learning about game design, the arguments against moronic ideas and creations are often as helpful as if the original post was well-considered.

It's really great to learn from your mistakes, but even better to learn from other people's.
Last edited by The Lunatic Fringe on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Narcissus wrote:I disagree. To someone who is interested in learning about game design, the arguments against moronic ideas and creations are often as helpful as if the original post was well-considered.

It's really great to learn from your mistakes, but even better to learn from other people's.
How many times do you need the same moronic mistakes repeated to learn from them? I figure "at most once" - see the point?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Post by The Lunatic Fringe »

Bigode wrote:
Narcissus wrote:I disagree. To someone who is interested in learning about game design, the arguments against moronic ideas and creations are often as helpful as if the original post was well-considered.

How many times do you need the same moronic mistakes repeated to learn from them? I figure "at most once" - see the point?
Dude, there are always new moronic mistakes.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Narcissus wrote:Dude, there are always new moronic mistakes.
Don't I know. The thing is, they come once every 20 pages of threads, and I mean literal 20 pages repeating a single moronic mistake.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Elennsar wrote:Being legendary for being high on howlers is not a good thing, particularly when the howling is done instead of producing anything - whether with the new people or at all.
Umm...actually Frank alone has produced a lot more than you ever have. You may or may not like what he's designed; I don't agree with all of Frank's design philosophies. However, he has actually produced a lot. Other people have posted other projects which have gone a hell of a lot farther than Arturius, mostly because the authors were more interested in making progress than in putting down people who offered input.

BTW, it's hilarious that you fail to see the true relevance of the Howler page. You are the newbie who thinks he has some special insight ("Come, my disciples, and let me teach you the difference between ROLEplaying and ROLLplaying."). The problem is that little you have to say is new and none of it is profound. You mostly repeat grognard nonsense that the rest of us have put away with other childish things, as well as a definition of heroism replete with fuzzy thinking and hypocrisy. Denizens have little tolerance for such obviously puerile rantings, so they tend to lose their temper over these things.

And it's hilarious that you keep expressing your shock at the way Denizens argue when you claim you lurked this board for a long time before posting. A board that has been the way it is for so long isn't going to change just because you and your delicate sensibilities started posting here.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

I'm not interested in "putting people down" who offer input. Nor am I interested in treating "input" that is "let us ask you 100 questions and grant zero assistance in answering any questions" as more useful than ignoring it.

As for the "Special insight"...no, I don't. I do think that you (the Den) are treating the roleplaying element as something that is only important to the extent you are rewarded by the game for it.

As for heroism: So considering Sam(wise Gamgee) a bigger hero than anyone in the average action movie is "fuzzy thinking". Right.

As for how Denizens argue: As stated, vigorous arguement is one thing. "You're a fucking moron." is another. The former is useful. The latter is useful to nothing.