Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

:rofl:

Because not enough people compare Frank to House.

(1000+ hours in MSPaint 5 minutes in Photoshop. Whoops, missed a bit. Oh well.)
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Koumei wrote::rofl:
Any idea about how you got it not to show in your post?

P.S.: :rofl:
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I have "Disable Smilies in this post" ticked by default. Mainly for all those instances of 8) turning into sunglasses guy.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Koumei, you stupid girl. You forgot the orange hat!

Wait... even then the blue dress shirt would show. Eh, put an orange kilt on it and call it a day.

I think that is easy to tell as being Frank. I mean, level appropriate effects!
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Koumei wrote:(although interestingly enough, unlike most medical drama shows it uses real medicine - the bullshit is just expecting us to believe all these 1-in-a-billion things go to that hospital, and that he hasn't been jailed for his methods... yet)
No, see... That's the point of House. He's especially awesome. He only receives the interesting cases, and that's why there's so many uniquish diseases that show up there.

I watched House dedicatedly for the first few seasons - I enjoyed those moments of reflection when a patient or co-worker would make an impression on him - but it just got to be too dickish for me. I saw a recent episode and noted that I was glad I stopped watching the series.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I find House to be a boring, one-dimensional character. Honestly, Scrubs did House far better than House does.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I don't really want to defend house, but... scrubs?

That show is for braindead losers who didn't figure out 2 episodes into the first season that every single episode forever is basically fucking IDENTICAL.

I mean House being formulaic, sure, but with Scrubs you could montage scenes from multiple episodes into an episode long mish mash and no one would even notice. Or care.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I mean House being formulaic, sure, but with Scrubs you could montage scenes from multiple episodes into an episode long mish mash and no one would even notice. Or care.
That's not quite true. There's also the slow but sure character derailment--J.D., Eliot, Dr. Cox, Kelso, 'Lavernagain'..

But basically, the female characters get more disagreeable and contrary and the male characters get stupider and more passive/effeminate. It's pretty noticable if you compare the later seasons to the earlier ones, so I wouldn't go as far as to say that nothing changes or the episodes are identical.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Yeah, I thought scrubs was good when I'd watch the odd episode like once a month.. or once every two months at a mates place.

When I watched like 3 episodes in a week I noticed it was crap.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

This is all that needs to be said about Scrubs, pretty much:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheUnfairSex wrote: Scrubs: Elliot breaks up with J.D. about 90 seconds after sleeping with him to return to her last boyfriend, Sean. J.D.'s jealousy is depicted as petty, and the right thing to do is "remember [that he's her] friend" and help make her relationship with Sean work out. Later on, J.D. convinces Elliot to leave Sean, only for him (J.D.) to realize that he doesn't love Elliot. This is painted as an unspeakable act of evil, met by Elliot with "comic" female-on-male violence.

And, in a later episode, Elliot breaks off her engagement with Keith, then later on in the episode gets back together with him, only to break up with him again right after that. But when Keith acts basically as angry to her as she was at J.D., Elliot cannot understand why Keith would possibly be angry at her. Even though what she did to Keith was just as bad as what J.D. did to her, and maybe even worse, seeing as it they were going to get married in a couple weeks. But Keith's angry is portrayed as whiny and an overreaction, and nobody pointed out this was exactly the same as the way Elliot acted when J.D. broke up with her. God, this show is unfair.

Not to mention that when they finally sat down and talked about their problems, Elliot brought up the fact that JD convinced her to leave Sean while the worst thing JD ever brings up about her is that she wanted to be his sex buddy. Really? Are you sure you're not forgetting anything here?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDerailment wrote: JD on Scrubs. He starts the series as a nervous, somewhat needy young doctor who also displays genuine wit, intelligence, charm and sensitivity. At this point, he's something of a second Butt Monkey, has had his emotional neediness become a classic example of Flanderization and has, quite frankly, degenerated into something of an idiot. An inability to locate Iraq on a map or explain the difference between a Senator and a Congressman are the two most flagrant examples of that, but are far from the only ones.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:This is all that needs to be said about Scrubs, pretty much:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheUnfairSex wrote: Scrubs: Elliot breaks up with J.D. about 90 seconds after sleeping with him to return to her last boyfriend, Sean. J.D.'s jealousy is depicted as petty, and the right thing to do is "remember [that he's her] friend" and help make her relationship with Sean work out. Later on, J.D. convinces Elliot to leave Sean, only for him (J.D.) to realize that he doesn't love Elliot. This is painted as an unspeakable act of evil, met by Elliot with "comic" female-on-male violence.

And, in a later episode, Elliot breaks off her engagement with Keith, then later on in the episode gets back together with him, only to break up with him again right after that. But when Keith acts basically as angry to her as she was at J.D., Elliot cannot understand why Keith would possibly be angry at her. Even though what she did to Keith was just as bad as what J.D. did to her, and maybe even worse, seeing as it they were going to get married in a couple weeks. But Keith's angry is portrayed as whiny and an overreaction, and nobody pointed out this was exactly the same as the way Elliot acted when J.D. broke up with her. God, this show is unfair.

Not to mention that when they finally sat down and talked about their problems, Elliot brought up the fact that JD convinced her to leave Sean while the worst thing JD ever brings up about her is that she wanted to be his sex buddy. Really? Are you sure you're not forgetting anything here?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDerailment wrote: JD on Scrubs. He starts the series as a nervous, somewhat needy young doctor who also displays genuine wit, intelligence, charm and sensitivity. At this point, he's something of a second Butt Monkey, has had his emotional neediness become a classic example of Flanderization and has, quite frankly, degenerated into something of an idiot. An inability to locate Iraq on a map or explain the difference between a Senator and a Congressman are the two most flagrant examples of that, but are far from the only ones.
Lago PARANOIA wrote:2) If American history proves anything white/male/Christian guilt is needed to get any justice done. So embrace that [male] guilt and stop trying to weasel out of your cognitive dissonance you fucking pussy.
Last edited by Bigode on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm not sure of the point that you're trying to make, Bigode. That was a zinger of some sort or an attempt to catch me in an act of hypocrisy I think. Why don't you spell it out for me?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Then again, doing an archive trawl sometimes leads to a rude awakening, like with MegaTokyo or Shortpacked. The tragic thing was that those two comics were legitimately funny/interesting... until RWPiro and RWLargo got pissy at each other and Largo left
fixed that for you, though, apparently that happened a long time before it was no longer funny (IMO). Though I think that's where the largo character derailment started...
Maxus wrote:He's almost like Sasuke in the depth of his, "Your suffering has not equaled my suffering" attitude.
Perfect. Just lock both of 'em in a room and wait for the inevitable emo-suicides.
Bigode wrote:Uh, the thing's that, hilariously, the whole "we should try to understand them" can work with goblinoids, and can't with chromatic dragons. So, Vaarsuvius' act was less morally questionable than most stuff that passed unnoticed - why the sympathy for the dragons then?
Meh, genocide's not a good motivation, and pretty damn close to being a universally evil one... If V were a paladin in one of my games who had declared death to all Black Dragons, I'd either make him fall so hard he left a larger crater than Asmodeus, or I'd write in some very, very interesting implications on the nature of good and evil. The players might get a choice on which...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Meh, genocide's not a good motivation, and pretty damn close to being a universally evil one... If V were a paladin in one of my games who had declared death to all Black Dragons, I'd either make him fall so hard he left a larger crater than Asmodeus, or I'd write in some very, very interesting implications on the nature of good and evil. The players might get a choice on which...
If dragons are universally evil and irredeemably so, then why would killing all of the black dragons be an evil act?

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I'm not sure of the point that you're trying to make, Bigode. That was a zinger of some sort or an attempt to catch me in an act of hypocrisy I think. Why don't you spell it out for me?
We have to feel guilty for our penises and accept being treated as dogs. According to Lago PARANOIA (as far as I can tell). Clear now?
Prak_Anima wrote:Meh, genocide's not a good motivation, and pretty damn close to being a universally evil one... If V were a paladin in one of my games who had declared death to all Black Dragons, I'd either make him fall so hard he left a larger crater than Asmodeus, or I'd write in some very, very interesting implications on the nature of good and evil. The players might get a choice on which...
A) it's not all black dragons. B) the motivation isn't merely killing in itself. C) blah, blah, blah: D&D defines genocide on fiends as non-evil, and people keep forgetting black dragons aren't really different. What alternative conception of alignment you use isn't my problem.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Scrubs has a lot of episodes that are misses, it's true, but there are some gems mixed in there. As a rule of thumb, find an episode where at least one patient dies, and there you've got a reasonably good chance of a good show.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

We have to feel guilty for our penises and accept being treated as dogs. According to Lago PARANOIA (as far as I can tell). Clear now?
I'm not really surprised that you mixed up feeling shame for real events that happened and are still happening today that the overclass is ignoring with fictional hypocrisy.

Are you still feeling angry about that thread? I'll tell you what, if you're still feeling butthurt about that thread then you should bump it. I thought you got over it, but I'll settle your hash.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

You know, every time I see the word "butthurt", I want to punch that person in the face, regardless if it's right.

I fucking HATE internet one-upmanship.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, Scrubs was cute. But then it did nothing but explore how deeply hysterical it could make it's female primaries and how weak it could make its male primaries. I don't know how any can stand more of that sexist crap.

-Crissa
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

I personally think both shows are crap. :lol:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I've watched one episode of House. I still watch reruns of ER once a week. I've never wathched scrubs.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You know, this Scrubs-bashing and House-bashing, though fun, seems kind of familiar.

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=46706

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh, I know it happened before. I wonder if Greenwing is still going, and if it's still awesome. I only saw the first season and part of the second, but that was fucking hilarious.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:You know, this Scrubs-bashing and House-bashing, though fun, seems kind of familiar.

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=46706
All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again? :lol:
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I'm not really surprised that you mixed up feeling shame for real events that happened and are still happening today that the overclass is ignoring with fictional hypocrisy.
But Lago, men (a bunch of men I'm about as related to as I am to Hitler, possibly less) are still being troglodytes who only care about sex*! The show's teaching us the message that we've to pay for it, dammit!

*: that's not at all how I view it, just to make sure.
Lago PARANOIA wrote:Are you still feeling angry about that thread? I'll tell you what, if you're still feeling butthurt about that thread then you should bump it. I thought you got over it, but I'll settle your hash.
Look, you start a thread on how if we're tangentially related to any overclass (and let's face it, I don't live in a slum, so one could say it's not just being male either, and the guys in rich countries would b only worse) we've to feel horrible about it, you start a thread on how TV shows make you cry, and I'm "butthurt"? Sure.
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:You know, every time I see the word "butthurt", I want to punch that person in the face, regardless if it's right.

I fucking HATE internet one-upmanship.
Plus Fvcking One. Not that there's any chance of him being right.