Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

Re: Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Post by MGuy »

Arch went decidedly in that direction some time ago. I think he was even written off in a more official capacity by Games Workshop itself but I'm not sure of the validity of that and am not curious enough to really look it up. There are plenty of other people doing warhammer related content. Same with DnD.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

One of the many, many things that bothers me about anti-SJW reactionaries is how quick they are to presume expertise and insist that anything less than their own head canon is filthy revisionism. For example, it annoys me that the Mount & Blade franchise in particular has sub communities that are super invested in roleplaying faction hostilities in as racist a manner as possible and insist that it would lack verisimilitude if people treated the Golden Horde themed factions as anything but a bunch of primitive horse fuckers. It's particularly depressing because the franchise has broad enough appeal that you get to routinely see new would-be fanboys slowly become disillusioned as they realize that they can't tell which people on their friendslist are partaking in "ironic" edgelord humor and which ones seriously think there's something to racial realist bullshit.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

About a week back, there was a thread on Reddit kind of like that, where someone was saying they would rather play in a D&D game with a small number of races, where race "means something," than a game with an endless number of meaningless races.

And no, they don't mean the way most of us would (ie, "mean something mechanically"). They mean they want to roleplay racism-
Reddit Schmuck wrote:And then I started playing in a game where the GM only allows humans and elves and created a setting where these two races have a long story of alliances and betrayals. Their culture is different, their values are different, their lifespan is reflected in their life choices. Every time my elf character gets into a human town I see people commenting on it, being afraid that he will steal their kids and move deeper into the woods.
(Emphasis mine)

Yeah, dickhead literally would rather play out blood libel than play a game where being an elf just means "I can autolook for secret doors, and orcs don't like me because my god stabbed their god."

Most of my interaction with that thread was arguing with a guy who was really weirdly hung up on "a rainbow haired tiefling bard with a big floppy horse dick (running) around in their medieval europe setting like its nothing." I seriously do not understand why people would want to roleplay being oppressed (or oppressing people, for that matter), save, perhaps, for a hypothetical table of marginalized players playing an Inglorious Bastards scenario. I mean, sure, maybe the GM says "the townsfolk are all really racist pricks to your non-human character," but... honestly, I can only assume the reddit OP and the guy I was arguing with are so white they don't need hoods at klan rallies.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Truly so mad when D&D characters show up in my medieval setting.

No one has access to illusion magic or prestidigitation or being a tiefling in real life goddam it. I'm here to play real life, not "Dungeons and Dragons."
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Their kink is not my kink, but it is okay.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I've played Kobolds that can't go into town undisguised before. It can be fun to be on the receiving end of fantasy racism oppression from time to time.
Just because my kobolds were Evil doesn't mean they can't be regular members of society! :nonono:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I mean. I think the big deal to me is the idea that the racism is so specific, and so focused on. Like I have no problem with "we hate them cuz their god kicked our god's ass" or "well, better put my hood up so I can go into town." Even "we don't serve yer kind 'round here," especially with more out there races.

But the idea that "I prefer games where my elf gets blood libeled" just... what the shit
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Prak wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:22 pm
I seriously do not understand why people would want to roleplay being oppressed (or oppressing people, for that matter), save, perhaps, for a hypothetical table of marginalized players playing an Inglorious Bastards scenario. I mean, sure, maybe the GM says "the townsfolk are all really racist pricks to your non-human character," but... honestly, I can only assume the reddit OP and the guy I was arguing with are so white they don't need hoods at klan rallies.
That's one of the great fun things about roleplaying games, getting to play characters who experience different life challenges from yourself in real life.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Prak wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:54 am
I mean. I think the big deal to me is the idea that the racism is so specific, and so focused on. Like I have no problem with "we hate them cuz their god kicked our god's ass" or "well, better put my hood up so I can go into town." Even "we don't serve yer kind 'round here," especially with more out there races.

But the idea that "I prefer games where my elf gets blood libeled" just... what the shit
Uh, yeah dude. I would've gotten lynched if I walked into town undisguised. Such is the plight of the kobold. :sad:
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, bit of a necro-bump, but saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets the other day, and why do people think reckless incompetence is charming?

I strongly suspect there's quite an overlap between people who like those sorts of movie characters and people who supported Trump.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I thought that movie ate shit and died because everyone hated it?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Queen of the Damned has a certain style, but was a pretentious incoherent mess. Definitely seeing VTM's connection there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The Suicide Squad was pretty awful all round, but it annoys me that the "twist" is that [spoiler]the US government has been torturing and killing people[/spoiler] and if that should get out it'd be a really big deal.

Boo. Boooo!

EDIT: Oh right, spoiler tags still not working. I'll leave them there because they'll start again at some point.
Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

The newer suicide squad was better and more fun (low bar). But yeah two things ruined it.

Overly realistic US murdering and plotting taking you out of the fantasy.

And not-animated Harley Quinn. The worst fucking character in modern movie DC other than fucking 5 different Batmans. They could have given "the lead" to Weasel, who had more relatable charisma and better comic delivery.

Also would have been more interesting in various outfits and the romance with the dictator.
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

So, I watched the first 3 and a half episodes of Kindred: The Embraced, and it's more bad soap opera than vampire police stuff.

Everyone is always whining at each other instead of doing anything interesting, and there aren't enough cool vampire stuff or weird magic shenanigans or whatever.

Which, in retrospect, yeah, ok, right. Is a VTM thingy. But it looked like they were going to do something interesting with it.