I hate the 'threads that make you laugh, cry or both' thread

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

I hate the 'threads that make you laugh, cry or both' thread

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

For one, those dumbass threads make the Gaming Den look like a bunch of elitist trolls when it's really only three or four people acting like that. I'm hesitant to refer people to this place for this reason.

Two, I'm tired of posts or tangents that are applicable to, you know, gaming being ignored in favor of yet another one of someone's 'oh, look at me hard done by idiots! I am going to complain about it at length'.

I really wish you people would stop posting them. It's irritating.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Posting this as a response to Lago's post because its on the same line of thought (I think)...

What exactly are those threads supposed to do? There is supposedly a difference between trolling and "smiting", but I'm increasingly convinced that line is mostly that its smiting if you approve of it...which thusly is just making it worse...you get a bunch of elitist assholes who claim that they're actually making things -better- by creating the situation Lago refered to.

Great way to make the TGD the place to go for useful gaming advice and examples of design, really.
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: I hate the 'threads that make you laugh, cry or both' th

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:For one, those dumbass threads make the Gaming Den look like a bunch of elitist trolls when it's really only three or four people acting like that. I'm hesitant to refer people to this place for this reason.
I figure the line was crossed ages ago when PR started a thread at Paizo and preemptively linked it. If that isn't trolling I don't know what is.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

That first time, it was right before he gave up on Paizo and he wanted a constructive thread, but thought it would wind up as fail.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, it used to be we'd see frustration and give sympathy or solutions.

Now it's just in jokes and badly spelled insults. I think we could do without those.

If you're going to post in a thread referred in one of those threads, I think you should be utmost polite and helpful, not derisive or insulting.

-Crissa
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Elennsar wrote:What exactly are those threads supposed to do?
As Draco mentioned, PR introduced trolling into that thread. Roy introduced the practice of quoted "smites." Before that, the idea was that you would post a link in that thread only after the discussion had gone off the rails into insanity. And, if it was a thread you had posted in, you wouldn't draw excessive attention to your own posts.

But I'm not sure the transition didn't happen even before PR. After Frank and K left the Paizo boards, any Paizo thread linked tended to generate a lot of complaining about the way those two were treated on those boards. I suspect some people got the idea from that tendency that the topic was really "Threads that make us laugh, cry, bitch, or all of the above."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I assume it has something to do with penises. Like, measuring e-peen or something.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa wrote:Yeah, it used to be we'd see frustration and give sympathy or solutions.

Now it's just in jokes and badly spelled insults. I think we could do without those.

If you're going to post in a thread referred in one of those threads, I think you should be utmost polite and helpful, not derisive or insulting.

-Crissa
yeah, i think they were more interesting then too... now it's only interesting to see if someone says something about a thread I posted, and that's about it, even then, it's usually pretty boring...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

The thread in question is gone now. And we don't need a new one.
[/The Great fence Builder Speaks]