Blizzard & China & related stuff

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Blizzard & China & related stuff

Post by OgreBattle »

So a lot of stuff has happened with free speech, censorship, political protest/violence, markets, the NBA, and so on.

This just going to blow over or will it snowball
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Blow over, I'd say. One of those "this should be a big deal" things that gets added to the list of other things that should be big deals but aren't.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Things like this blow over all the time until they don't. It's not possible to predict because there are too many variables. Does main-land China drop the issue, or do they escalate? If they drop the issue will a critical mass keep showing up to protest, or will people get tired of it?

The fact that there's still a Taiwan situation after 70+ years indicates that it certainly is possible for both sides to find a stable position without either side resolving things fully.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So the asks by the Chinese Communist Party have been well over the line of what they've previously gotten away with, and they know it. The idea that they could get in game penalties applied to Hong Kong dissidents is actually pretty out there. Xi Jinping even asking for it seems like over-reach to me.

Now this is the best time to do this. Liberal democracy in the West is fractured and the president of the United States is a fascism loving toad who is also embroiled in criminal investigations. In most of my life, if the government of the PRC asked American businesses to bring the hammer down on pro-democracy protestors, the American government would throw a fit. But Donald Trump obviously won't. Firstly because he loves fascist crackdowns on liberal dissidents, secondly because he's facing impeachment hearings and couldn't get Congress to order him a pizza, third because he's comically inept and has already shown that he legit has no idea how to take actions that the Chinese government feels impacted by.

Even so, this seems very likely to backfire. I expect that Blizzard gets enough pushback that they end up having to give the prize money back to the Hong Kong guy, and then this ends up being a face losing loss for Xi Jinping. This has a better chance of working out the way Xi Jinping wants it to than it would have under a Clinton presidency or if he had tried it during Obama's presidency, but it still seems very risky.

It's important to remember though that American corporations do not love liberal democracy and are happy to sell out any number of people or groups to the Chinese Communist Party. The corporations will throw you under the bus for a nickel and only boycotts in western countries will make them even consider taking a stand against repressive regimes in Asia or anywhere else.

-Username17
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

China is a massive market. What's going to come out swinging on the other side to even stand a chance of making corporations like Blizzard and the NBA consider doing anything else but bowing to their will?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Wait it's Xi Jinping actually making demands of Blizzard?

I don't know what organs of the CCP are working here and want to be informed
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Damned Blizzard, I'm gonna stop giving them my money!
Oh wait, I already started doing that years ago.
FrankTrollman wrote: It's important to remember though that American corporations do not love liberal democracy and are happy to sell out any number of people or groups to the Chinese Communist Party. The corporations will throw you under the bus for a nickel and only boycotts in western countries will make them even consider taking a stand against repressive regimes in Asia or anywhere else.
Silly Frank, a significant amount of Blizzard already belongs to chinese Tencent.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Gamers hate capitalism but don't realize what they hate is capitalism. With a very loud minority of gamers railing constantly against decisions these big corporations are making I suppose something like this was inevitably going to happen. The Epic Store was the last big bad thing from China and now Blizzard is having their time on the rack. The Chinese being able to pressure media makers has gotten to proper meme status. Even Southpark even came out with an episode coincidentally last week covering it. Then there's the NBA kerfuffle on top of everything else.
Last edited by MGuy on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I like that some people are trying to turn a Overwatch character into a symbol of the Hong-Kong protests to try to get China to ban Overwatch.

There's something cyberpunk about it, I wonder how long we'll have to wait until some company weaponizes this against one of its competitors.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

MGuy wrote:Even Southpark even came out with an episode coincidentally last week covering it.
Not really a coincidence. Southpark produces episodes in 6 days..
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

If the Blizzard thing kicked off 14+ days ago I really missed out. I've only heard about it in the last few days.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Tencent owns large portions of Blizzard, Epic, (wholly?) Riot/League of Legends, and is also the one involved in the NBA deal.

So there is a LITTLE bit of oddness in Blizzard responding immediately before Tencent upper management should really have gotten involved, versus Epic publicly proclaiming they wouldn't pan someone over something like that.

There is some real place to wonder at what level this decision was really made, whether it was Blizzard trying to suck up without being asked, or whether a specific ask was made or what. Presumably the NBA thing was definitely an ask, but the Blizzard thing seems like it may very well be a genuinely Blizzard based decision, though obviously very influenced by wanting to suck up to China.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Kaelik wrote: Presumably the NBA thing was definitely an ask
Yep.
Chinese Consulate-General Spokesman wrote:We are deeply shocked by the erroneous comments on Hong Kong made by Mr. Daryl Morey, general manager of the Houston Rockets. We have lodged representations and expressed strong dissatisfaction with the Houston Rockets, and urged the latter to correct the error and take immediate concrete measures to eliminate the adverse impact.
Still, there's definitely some comedy of errors aspects to all of this. For example, we'll never know what would have happened if noted asshole, author and Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta hadn't thrown a spotlight on the original comments by tweeting that the Rockets are not a political organization. In terms of self-defeating media behavior that's about as high as you can go without getting jailed, fired or impeached (fingers crossed!).
bears fall, everyone dies
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Whatever happened to "Better dead than red!"?
Oh.Right. Capitalism. OH THE IRONY!

Also:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/10/209 ... oved-china
Apple removes app used in Hong Kong protests after pressure from China

Said App is still available on the Google Play Store.
And even if it vanished from there, sideloading is still a thing on Android.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I mean, economists have been going on about how marketizing China was going to happen and then everything would be perfect. Now China is a modern capitalist state and it is fascist instead of democratic, big surprise (to decades of economists and no one else).
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Stahlseele wrote:Whatever happened to "Better dead than red!"?
This happened
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ocrat-ohio
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Gamers are lazy and stupid. They'll get mad for a few days then immediately forget it when the next AAA shitfest gets released. Remember, the last time gamers tried to do anything they sent death and rape threats to obscure "programmers" until they became millionaires somehow.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

phlapjackage wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Whatever happened to "Better dead than red!"?
This happened
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ocrat-ohio

Russia hasn't been Red since 1989-91 depending on how you count it. The US started "cooperating" with Russia in that time, by which I mean rigging their elections and having our capitalists obtain obscene profits from exploiting their natural resources.

Russia has separately become evil again in a completely non Red manner when one of the shitty undemocratic leaders we put in charge to facilitate our exploitation decided to stay in charge, be the person who profits from exploitation, and also start trying to exploit and much later assimilate surrounding countries.

Meanwhile, we also spent decades cooperating with China in the mistaken belief that if all workers are obedient slaves to their boss masters who profit obscenely, that this would somehow create democracy. It did not in fact do that, and instead they just have a bunch of obscenely rich people and the oppressed masses who slave away for their autocratic bosses, and also the rich autocratic bosses have a powerful autocratic main boss.

"Trump ended our hatred of the evil communists" is perhaps literally the dumbest thing anyone has ever said about Trump, and I'm including the people paid to defend his claims that windmills cause cancer.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Kaelik wrote:So there is a LITTLE bit of oddness in Blizzard responding immediately before Tencent upper management should really have gotten involved, versus Epic publicly proclaiming they wouldn't pan someone over something like that.

There is some real place to wonder at what level this decision was really made, whether it was Blizzard trying to suck up without being asked, or whether a specific ask was made or what. Presumably the NBA thing was definitely an ask, but the Blizzard thing seems like it may very well be a genuinely Blizzard based decision, though obviously very influenced by wanting to suck up to China.
Considering the ongoing "it's Chinese sypware" accusations leveled at the Epic Store, I suspect that Tim Sweeney has to be very vocal about how he totally isn't a Chinese puppet regardless of how far Ma Huateng's hand is jammed up his ass.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Mord wrote: Considering the ongoing "it's Chinese sypware" accusations leveled at the Epic Store, I suspect that Tim Sweeney has to be very vocal about how he totally isn't a Chinese puppet regardless of how far Ma Huateng's hand is jammed up his ass.
Actually they've recently announced that they won't ban players for expressing political views. "Epic doesn't engage in politics or take a position on any political dispute. We've simply said we're a neutral game operator and don't seek to limit what players say. This neutrality applies equally to players on all sides of any disagreement."
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

unspoken is the "Until one of our largest markets and majority shareholder tells us to take a position."

But my tinfoil hat self is taking the same stance as Mord on this.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Update, seems like people in the Blizz forums talking about this getting banned.

So seems like Blizzard doubling down on their stance.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Bobby Kuntick hates his customers enough as is, so the new megayachts he could buy thanks to money handed to him by the Chinese president is just a bonus at this point. "Pissing off people who once used to like us" is a great ends in and of itself to him.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

All the bigger media businesses have no trouble pissing off their fans and never backpedal unless doing so gets them money. It's capitalism. Fandom is just another resource to be exploited.

I think that there is nerd rage out there and on the table that can and should be harnessed to help fuel anticapitalist sentiments.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

maglag wrote:
Mord wrote: Considering the ongoing "it's Chinese sypware" accusations leveled at the Epic Store, I suspect that Tim Sweeney has to be very vocal about how he totally isn't a Chinese puppet regardless of how far Ma Huateng's hand is jammed up his ass.
Actually they've recently announced that they won't ban players for expressing political views. "Epic doesn't engage in politics or take a position on any political dispute. We've simply said we're a neutral game operator and don't seek to limit what players say. This neutrality applies equally to players on all sides of any disagreement."
"We're not political" is usually what shitbags who support the status quo right after it goes downhill say. Then they followed it with "don't seek to limit what players say"? Wait, there at the end "This neutrality applies equally to players on all sides of any disagreement". All sides is never a good argument.