YouTube Chudz

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

YouTube Chudz

Post by MGuy »

Inspired by Maj's question in the Nazi thread I decided that this is the perfect excuse to make a thread like this. So YouTube alt-righters are plentiful and some of them don't style themselves as political actors or deceptively brand themselves. Many of the most problematic of these people aren't necessarily Nazis mind, but my charitable avoidance of misattributing Nazihood to people only extends to people who don't have large channels that are consistently anti left, anti progressive, etc.

When asked if someone like theQuartering is a Nazi I can't say that he is with the same certainty I can say someone like PewDiePie is because I don't know that he trots around in Nazi symbols like PDP does but I don't think it matters much to draw the big distinction between the people who are vigorously 'anti sjw' and people like PDP who trolls jewish charities.

I can name a lot of people that fall into this category. PDP and Quartering aside you have the big names like Crowder, Dave Rubin, Sargon of Akkad, Nicholas Fuentes, Blair White, Teal Deer (TLDR), Vee, Matt Jarbo (he had a falling out with the greater community but I don't think he's changed politics), Black Pigeon Speaks, etc etc. The list would be real long.

Kevin Logan actually has a series called Descent of Man-o-Sphere that goes through a bunch of the common names that come up and things they have done or said that's indicative of their positions. It's not exhaustive but it'll cover all the big names.
Last edited by MGuy on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

You can just let the chuds make the list for you: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-offi ... s.1477477/

Probably not comprehensive, but a fairly sizable list.

Edit: They really do just make the lists for you.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SocialJusticeI ... youtubers/
Last edited by Sigil on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Wow.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Can someone enlighten me on PDP? My students have referenced him in the past, so I assumed it had something to do with gaming. What is his alt-right connection?

Game On,
fbmf
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/pewdiepie- ... ight-nazi/

And a more recent update (with some additional context on The Quartering): https://www.gamerevolution.com/game-cul ... sy-youtube
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Here's a summation of PewDiePie by NYULocal.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pew die pie has been caught in a few scandals the first one was rape jokes, the second one was paying Indians to hold a sign that said "death to all jews" and then send him the video and he then made it part of his stream or video or something. The third one was saying the n word on stream.

Each time he got in trouble and lost some non zero amount of money and was instantly coddled and told he did nothing wrong by nazis until support for him was an inside joke for nazis.

This eventually lead to the christ church shooters last words to the stream pre massacre being "subscribe to pewdiepie"

Pdp since then did a thing where he tried to distance himself by donating to the Adl. However his nazi fanbase apparently got so mad they convinced him to stop, so he announced he wasn't going to donate to them, and did it wearing something that looks almost exactly like an iron cross.

Basically, if there was ever any doubt, he's picked his allegiance.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
violence in the media
Duke

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any specific insight into Shadiversity or Lindybeige? Their channels are mostly about swords and castles and historical stuff, but they've each said occasional things that make me give them the side-eye and caused me to back off from watching their stuff. I don't remember anything specific for Lindybeige, but for Shadiversity it was his Captain Marvel review that was off-putting.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Kaelik has the gist of PDP. He is a textbook cryptofascist. He's never going to come out swinging for fascism because he is trying to have a career, but when a white nationalist murdered a bunch of Muslims in his name and he decided it might be good optics to do a bit of charity to an appropriate cause, a bunch of nazis said "we hate that stop it" and he said "heard you loud and clear, boss, donation cancelled."

If you are someone who can say, "I was going to donate to charity to let the nazis I know I'm upset that they murdered Muslims in my name, but then the nazis said they didn't want me to do that so I didn't," you know what you're doing and what you're doing is being a nazi.

Lindybeige has some uncomfortable moments, but they are uncomfortable enough that I cannot actually figure out if he's aggressively shit or just an Enlightened Cynic(tm) or something. I am occasionally willing to stomach the latter, less so the former.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

I'd like to signal boost Innuendo Studios video "How to radicalize a normie" and NonCompete's "The Pewdie Pipeline" as good things to watch to stay informed on how fandoms and online communities get infected with nazi's over time, and what common presenting symptoms are.
Last edited by shinimasu on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I missed this article on Cracked about some of this.
-This space intentionally left blank
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

violence in the media wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone have any specific insight into Shadiversity or Lindybeige? Their channels are mostly about swords and castles and historical stuff, but they've each said occasional things that make me give them the side-eye and caused me to back off from watching their stuff. I don't remember anything specific for Lindybeige, but for Shadiversity it was his Captain Marvel review that was off-putting.
Shadiversity once defended Sargon of Akkad when said YouTuber got banned for saying racist shit. He also said he was a fan of Lauren Southern as a "journalist exposing politically incorrect truths."

Southern is a covert Neo-Nazi who made an entire video on The Great Replacement conspiracy theory and also tried to kill Syrian refugees at sea by preventing Red Cross vessels from operating effectively.

Lindybeige once complained how the legacy of the Holocaust focuses way too much on Jewish victims and not other ethnicities in a very stupid "Oppression Olympics" way. I don't know what else he's said atm.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZnho7gTws (Shadiversity's direct video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbxVfSqtt8 (Debunking Southern's video)
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... city-stunt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeU9QVh4MI8 (Lindy's direct video)

shinimasu wrote:I'd like to signal boost Innuendo Studios video "How to radicalize a normie" and NonCompete's "The Pewdie Pipeline" as good things to watch to stay informed on how fandoms and online communities get infected with nazi's over time, and what common presenting symptoms are.
I'd also recommend the /r/breadtube subreddit, a collection of leftist YouTubers who go in-depth of the flaws of the alt-Right and their presence on YouTube.

ContraPoint's "Decrypting the Alt-Right" is an excellent video which still holds up well to this day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4BVGPkdzk
Last edited by Libertad on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Tucker Carlson isn't a YouTuber but I believe deserves a mention. He's on Fox straight up talking up Nazi talking points along with being. Trump defender. I think it's important to note that he's probably got one of the largest audiences to disseminate Nazi talking points and does so on a big public network.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I remember him when he was on PBS.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I would add a vote to Lindybeige being less of a fascist than most people, and therefore not a good target for any sort of warning list. I think Lindybeige is a good example of the sort of thing that has to be fine if you want to watch anything but Chomsky speeches. I don't need to live in a bubble. Even if he holds center right views that doesn't matter to me since he's not actually broadcasting those views. He seems like any old person who is basically liberal but still has a chance of saying "oriental" if you waited long enough. Those people aren't my enemies.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Libertad wrote:Lindybeige once complained how the legacy of the Holocaust focuses way too much on Jewish victims and not other ethnicities in a very stupid "Oppression Olympics" way.
There are certainly awkward ways to say that. But the Holocaust killed 6 million Jews and 13 million people. It has to be OK to talk about that, even if your offerings on the subject aren't well constructed. A lot of times people talk about the Holocaust as if seven million murders didn't happen, and it's OK to get tongue tied and sputtering when you're upset about that fact.

Getting mad that people don't talk about antiziganist murders with respect to the Holocaust isn't on the same plane of existence as defending fucking Sargon. I mean, my web browser autocorrects the spelling of hatred of Jews to "anti-Semitic" but it doesn't recognize antiziganism, antiziganist, or antiziganistic as words at all. And I think it's reasonable to get upset about that. Because that oppression is also real, and Microsoft Edge pretends it never happened.

Sargon of Akkad on the other hand is just an obviously and performatively vile human being, and anyone defending him is just virtue signaling to racists.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

That group pewdiepie almost donated to is pro massacring muslims right?
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I'm not familiar with the organization but I understand it to be a pro Israel group. I've no doubt that it's probably problematic when it comes to the israel/Palestine issue. That doesn't matter where PDP comes in. Nazis not only herald PDP as a 'hero' but when he was talking about doing it there were Nazis telling him not to in his chat and coming up with conspiracy theories about the Jews 'Getting' to him. Then, just in case there was any confusion, when he went to explain why he cancelled it he wore a jacket that had a cross on it that was clearly Nazi signaling. The way he wore it even made sure it was easy to see. PDP's pulling away from the charity, and likely the whole stunt, was clearly Nazi signaling.

PDP is a Nazi. He's got a clear pattern of behavior including promoting other Nazi supporters. He is not Nazi adjacent, just an anti sjw, or anything like that. He's in league with Nazis.
Last edited by MGuy on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Lindy Beige's holocaust video did not make me overly uncomfortable, if only because I was too busy being relieved it didn't somehow go in the exact opposite direction. His general point that definitions of the Holocaust often exclude the non-Jewish victims is actually completely fair. It is a genuine point of contension whether or not the definition of Holocaust ought to be "the systematic genocide perpetrated by the Nazi regime" or "the systematic genocide of the Jews perpetrated by the Nazi regime," and while the consensus among layfolk is that the Holocaust is "the bad thing the Nazis did," the consensus in the literature is not nearly so clear or if anything leans the other way. There are respected historians who would, right now, take issue with Frank's claim that 13 million people died in the Holocaust - because it wasn't the Holocaust for those other 7 million. It was 'something else.' This is not a fictitious discussion someone invented for the purpose of knocking down to discredit the tragedy of what happened to the Jewish people, it's a real discussion among people of academic and political influence.

Lindy Beige makes his stance on the matter fairly clear - none of the reasons the Nazis used to justify persecuting those under their regime were conscionable, and they were all victims of the same series of historical events and institutions. It is, on reflection, genuinely somewhat strange that there are people who think the word Holocaust ought belong to only about half of them. That is kind of like arguing that LGBT should lose the L, B, and T. Even if you follow it up with "but nonetheless I support the rights of the LBT community," I am instantly suspicious of your wisdom, character, and motives. Is there any compelling reason we must recognize the victims of the Nazi regime separately? I can tell you historically that some of the reasons you might want to distinguish between the victimization of the Jews, and say, the Romani, is that after WW2 people still wanted to fucking hate the Romani. And Britain would go on to chemically castrate a homosexual whose decryption breakthroughs are credited with saving millions of lives. Maybe it's actually really shitty that some people are trying to keep a number of marginalized groups out from under a label which evokes considerable sympathy.

Nonetheless, the video does still have a red flag moment when he suggests victimhood is used for political gain. It is not that you cannot make the case that the state of Israel has exploited a narrative of victimhood with legitimate historical origins in order to perpetuate their own war crimes and genocide - they have. It is that Lindy Beinge does not specifically make that case, and normally when people use such language they are some kind of fuckwad, and so I am uncomfortably left wondering how broadly Lindy Beige intends me to take that claim.

He also has a video in defense of climate change skepticism (fairly old, who knows, maybe he changed with the times), a video railing mildly against political correctness, and a video on evolutionary psychology. I remember the first two being pretty garbage and could not bring myself to watch the last one. It's not that evolutionary psychology is inherently illegitimate - your brain is as much a product of evolution as everything else about you - it's just a term reactionaries have adopted in order to justify anything they believe as natural, and so evokes immediate suspicion.

His politics are definitely not great. But no, he's not a full-blown cryptofascist like... pewdiepie, for example. They're probably just centre right old person lukewarm slop. And he mentions them relatively infrequently, usually in videos dedicated to them. I would not fault someone for watching him and I would not fault for someone for avoiding him. You get your news from media companies that employ vastly worse people.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, Lindybeige is unlikely to go around carrying torches and swastikas, but he does seem to consider himself an expert on various issues he hasn't bothered to understand in way that's not atypical.

I stopped watching him some time back because that was rather annoying, and it makes him seem a less reliable source for his purely historical stuff.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Could pediepies crap just be because he's a Swede? My admittedly limited experience with Swedes was that they think racism is extremely funny. Like, I heard more racist jokes from swedes in one week than I did 30-ish years living in rural Virginia.

It could be that people in Gothenburg are just shockingly racist, it could be that I'm a magnet for lunatics. I dunno.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Could pediepies crap just be because he's a Swede? My admittedly limited experience with Swedes was that they think racism is
If he's taking orders from Nazis as to whether or not he should be donating to charities, then, no. That is past the point where his actions could have any plausible explanation other than "actually supports Nazis."
violence in the media
Duke

Dean wrote:I would add a vote to Lindybeige being less of a fascist than most people, and therefore not a good target for any sort of warning list. I think Lindybeige is a good example of the sort of thing that has to be fine if you want to watch anything but Chomsky speeches. I don't need to live in a bubble. Even if he holds center right views that doesn't matter to me since he's not actually broadcasting those views. He seems like any old person who is basically liberal but still has a chance of saying "oriental" if you waited long enough. Those people aren't my enemies.
This is a good summation of how I kind of felt about him. Like I said, there was nothing that I could put my finger on that specifically caused me to stop watching and asking about him was more of a curiosity.

Shadiversity was the one I was more concerned about, so thanks to Libertad for the background information. I completely missed his defense of Sargon.

In the grand scheme of whether or not to give people views though, where ought the line be? In Frank's(?) parable of the helpful thatcher that eats a baby--should we still look to that guy for solid advice on weatherproofing our hovels, or is that resource forever tainted due to the vile character of the author? On one had, the thatching and baby-eating are two separate unrelated things; on the other hand, there has to be thatchers out there that don't eat babies, and you should just give your attention to them.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Could pediepies crap just be because he's a Swede? My admittedly limited experience with Swedes was that they think racism is extremely funny. Like, I heard more racist jokes from swedes in one week than I did 30-ish years living in rural Virginia.

It could be that people in Gothenburg are just shockingly racist, it could be that I'm a magnet for lunatics. I dunno.
I'm not sure 'Swedes are more prone to racism overall' would be an exoneration of pewdiepie even if the whole 'allowed nazis to convince him not to donate to the ADL' thing never happened. The fact that some countries have a higher quotient for certain kinds of bullshit (racism, sexism, homophobia and what have you) doesn't actually excuse the bullshit it just means you have an even harder time getting them to see they're wrong because there's more inertia behind the belief.
Last edited by shinimasu on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.