Webcomics

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

I just finished archive-diving through Romantically Apocalyptic and it is indeed a fantastic comic. It's visually beautiful and the story is quite good; either the author had the whole thing mapped out more than 5 years in advance, or they're very good at re-purposing old content to fit the growing narrative.

That said, make sure you read the journal entries below the comic to get all the plot-y goodness. They can be pretty dense at times, and most, if not all, of the narrators are varying degrees of insane so they read strangely, but they give the real meat of the story.

Thanks again Laertes for passing the link my way. That comic has been bookmarked and I'll be following it with keen interest.

Meikle641, now that I've crawled out of the R. A. hole Laertes pushed me into, I'll have to take a look at Spellcross. I read the first 10 or so pages a while back and it looked promising.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Yes, many thanks and curses for passing along Romantically Apocalyptic. I blew most of Sunday reading that from start to current.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

I did the same recently for Will Save World for Gold (I adore the art style) and am starting on Digger. Webcomics seem much more enjoyable when read in a binge rather than sequentially.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Once upon a time Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman was my favorite comic out there, and it held the title for a long while. In the game Half Life 2, you're Gordon Freeman, who's just woken up and been pushed into a grim, dystopian world that you more-or-less set on fire in your trek across it. In Concerned, Gordon Frohman arrives a few months before Freeman does and gets to experience the setting both before and after Freeman's upheaval. Frohman is a naive but seemingly-unkillable idiot who finds the dehumanizing totalitarian regime charming, and isn't as happy as the other human rebels are about Mr. Crowbar showing up and ruining it all.

The whole thing is making fun of Valve's Half Life series, and the comic itself is made from modeling the scenes through a Half Life 2 editor mod. Very good comedy; the grim lethality of the setting provides endless ways for Frohman's exhuberant naivety to provide punchline after punchline, in addition to all the perfectly crafted HL2 mocking. That said, HL2 came out a long-ass time ago and Valve has let the series languish in development limbo for quite a while. I could see some people not remembering it, and others simply not caring about it. The comic does stand up on it's own merits, but you'll get a lot more out of it if you've played (and remember) HL2.

The comic is complete, so you can archive binge through it as fast as you'd like. Oh, and pay attention to the developer notes that are at the bottom of some of the pages; they contain some good stuff. Someday Valve will continue the HL series, despite their well-known aversion to the number 3, and then you can earn some real nerd cred among your friends by pointing Concerned out to 'em.

Last edited by Shatner on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

It was mentioned earlier, but I recently found my way to Gunnerkrigg Court and plowed my way through the 1300+ pages of archives...and it is excellent.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Next Town Over

It's about a steampunk bounty hunter chasing a pyrokinetic outlaw in something resembling, but decidedly not, the American Wild West. Oh, and they have some manner of history, possibly as lovers.

I think part of the reason I like it so much is because the bounty hunter is very much the sort of character I play, laconic, single minded, and very much determined to not let the innocents around them (who they care about) die because they caught a bullet, no matter how much you have to change said innocent to accomplish that.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

violence in the media wrote:It was mentioned earlier, but I recently found my way to Gunnerkrigg Court and plowed my way through the 1300+ pages of archives...and it is excellent.
Yeah this. Whenever two people linked this last before you, including lazor cows, I read the entire thing in a night instead of sleeping.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Kaelik wrote:
violence in the media wrote:It was mentioned earlier, but I recently found my way to Gunnerkrigg Court and plowed my way through the 1300+ pages of archives...and it is excellent.
Yeah this. Whenever two people linked this last before you, including lazor cows, I read the entire thing in a night instead of sleeping.
Does Main Character Girl ever become interesting?
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Blicero wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Does Main Character Girl ever become interesting?
And How!

But... it's been a while since I re-read the early bits, but you can't have gotten far if you don't like Annie yet, can you? :confused: If you have, maybe you wouldn't think she does, though I can't actually understand reading all of it and not liking her.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Blicero wrote: Does Main Character Girl ever become interesting?
Not really but everything else more than makes up for it. She's mostly a vehicle of exposition, having shit explained to her all the time in a very vibrant and entertaining world.

Kat is interesting enough for both of them.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Holy shit! Lackadaisy updated!
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Goblins updated too, a couple times. Looks like semi-weekly. Bit of luck his meds will help him bring joy and awesome to the world once more.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09112014/
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm not sure "joy" is the right word to use to describe Goblins...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Yeah Goblins jumped the shark a long time ago, mostly because D&D "morality" is so stupid that any attempt to deconstruct it is just going to be stupid rather than insightful.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Speaking of updates after a seeming hiatus, Erfworld has actually been having scheduled & regular updates for the last couple months. It's freaky.

Looks like he sacrificed artistic quality to meet this goal, but still.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

virgil wrote:Speaking of updates after a seeming hiatus, Erfworld has actually been having scheduled & regular updates for the last couple months. It's freaky.

Looks like he sacrificed artistic quality to meet this goal, but still.
Yeah, the newest artist isn't on the same level as the previous two, but I care about that faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar less than I do about regular updates. It's really nice; let's hope it lasts.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Lord Mistborn wrote:Yeah Goblins jumped the shark a long time ago, mostly because D&D "morality" is so stupid that any attempt to deconstruct it is just going to be stupid rather than insightful.
If you attempt to "deconstruct" it by swapping the goodies and the baddies then certainly. I think pointing out that the alignment is more or less random with tenuous correlation to behavior might get you somewhere if you don't get overambitious and know when to end.
Last edited by schpeelah on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not sure "joy" is the right word to use to describe Goblins...
>not posting the superior artwork one
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
erik
King

Post by erik »

http://oglaf.com/heel/ [sfw, language, but if you read the word "fucker" here then clearly that isn't a problem]
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

tussock wrote:Goblins updated too, a couple times. Looks like semi-weekly.
There's a new one.

What the fuck.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

I dunno about Erfworld. The first comics of each artist were rougher than once they got some practice in.

I concur that there's probably a tradeoff between maximum artistic quality and time required to make.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oglaf, NSFW, cartoon tits below the spoiler
I support this as an explanation for dragontits.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Prak_Anima wrote:Oglaf, NSFW, cartoon tits below the spoiler
I support this as an explanation for dragontits.
Part 2
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak_Anima wrote: I support this as an explanation for dragontits.
>Implying you ever need to explain or justify tits
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.