Boards... screwy?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Boards... screwy?

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I don't know about the rest of you guys and ghouls, but tgdmb.com has been acting funny the last couple of days.

Either failing to load or loading very slowly, and the connection speed of the computers that I'm using is the same as I have been using when the site and its forums loaded quickly.

Has the same happened for anyone else?
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, it wasn't loading at all for me the past couple days, unless I googled and did a cached page, but then I couldn't go to any other page, because it wouldn't load.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Prak_Anima wrote:yeah, it wasn't loading at all for me the past couple days, unless I googled and did a cached page, but then I couldn't go to any other page, because it wouldn't load.
Yeah, I was using cached pages to sort of crawl around the forums.

It was very difficult. It also makes me think about somehow creating redundancy for these boards. That's far too many engineering proposal translations talking through me now.

You never realize how many "extra" things something like say... a major hydroelectric dam in columbia needs, until you're there, translating for the third time about a "machine house" or when you're pretty much copying your last paragraph's edits* when editing the "redundant back-up diesel generator II" parapgraph.

I somehow doubt that there's a way to make these boards redundant, but I'd like it to be possible. I never considered it before, but necessity is often the mother of invention.

*:
(no, one actually translates everything by hand, instead you use an app to to the bulk of the work, then you just make sure that the grammar is right, usually that involves transposing the subject and object of a sentance).

In hindsight, it's actually kind of cool that I know that I was a part in helping get part of this line of dams started. All of the translation work was done in-house by ABB, and a small chunk was literally done in my house by most of my family members.

Of course, I'm not taking into account any ecological or societal damage that this dam could be causing, which would definately make the whole thing less cool.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yes, well, they're disruptive, but the benefits are pretty heavy.

It would be possible to have redundant servers and such, but that would rather require more servers in various colo locations running a forum software that's yet to be invented ^-^

-Crissa
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, so it's currently not possible. Good to know that though.

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Oh, it's possible, just we don't have the resources at our disposal.

And those resources aren't insurmountable. I've known dozens of people who could do it. And our support crew, I don't know so well. But I know they're low on time and cash, so buying another server might be out of the picture right now.

-Crissa

...On that point, a friend of mine is now fighting with the quandary of what to do with the largest known bot-net in the world, which she was recently involved in intercepting control of. There's 600K IP addresses this bot can control, which is hundreds of thousands of PCs.
Last edited by Crissa on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Crissa wrote: ...On that point, a friend of mine is now fighting with the quandary of what to do with the largest known bot-net in the world, which she was recently involved in intercepting control of. There's 600K IP addresses this bot can control, which is hundreds of thousands of PCs.
Ummm... she should turn it over to 4chan immediately before it falls into the wrong hands!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

clikml wrote:
Crissa wrote: ...On that point, a friend of mine is now fighting with the quandary of what to do with the largest known bot-net in the world, which she was recently involved in intercepting control of. There's 600K IP addresses this bot can control, which is hundreds of thousands of PCs.
Ummm... she should turn it over to 4chan immediately before it falls into the wrong hands!
better to be at the right hand of the devil, than in it's path, eh?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Please don't post things like that. Regardless of whether it's true or not, making that kind of claim is just going to put you (and maybe your friend) under government scrutiny.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, it's true, and she was writing up a proposal to some gov' types to be released this week.

I can point you to the news stories...

And yeah, they're not allowed to 'do' anything with it, which means giving it instructions to implode is a no-no, because of idiots who installed Windows on various 'important' machines might have some bad results. So it's like holding onto a snake, not so easy when someone else is out there poking it with a stick.

-Crissa
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The best proposal I could think of would be to do the same thing that the reverse Blaster worm did some time ago: have them download the patch to fix the vulnerability that got them infected in the first place. Preferably staggered this time so various important things don't come crashing down like they did last time.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

CatharzGodfoot wrote: Please don't post things like that. Regardless of whether it's true or not, making that kind of claim is just going to put you (and maybe your friend) under government scrutiny.
Which is attention these boards don't need.

[/TGFBS]