New Features

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Zherog
Knight-Baron

New Features

Post by Zherog »

More maintenance type stuff. The following new features are installed here on the Gaming Den.

Horizontal Rule This code prints a horizontal rule in the post. The button for it is the one with "hr" on it. The code is simple:

Code: Select all

[hr]
Gives:

Strikethrough Produces a line through text. The button for it is the one with the "s" on it.

[s]This is strikethrough font[/s]
gives:

This is strikethrough font

Align This aligns your text. There's a drop down list with four choices.

[align=right]this is right aligned[/align]
[align=center]this is center aligned[/align]
[align=left]this is left aligned[/align]
[align=justify]This is supposed to be "justify" aligned, though as best as I can tell it doesn't actually work[/align]
this is right aligned

this is center aligned

this is left aligned

This is supposed to be "justify" aligned, though as best as I can tell it doesn't actually work

Spacer This basically functions as an indent feature, except you tell it how far to indent. The default is one space.

[spacer]this line has one space in the front of it.
gives:

this line has one space in the front of it.

You can specify how many spaces to use:

[spacer=10]this line has 10 spaces in front of it
gives:

this line has 10 spaces in front of it

If anybody experiences any problems, please let me know.

Upcoming:

The Google search seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice it blows worse than a whore with buck teeth. I found a tool that will rebuild the search index on the forum. However, the installation of that tool is a fairly intensive manual process. I'll be doing it over on Nifty first, then I'll repeat the process here.

Also, I know folks anxiously want an ignore feature. To get that, as best as I can tell, we need to upgrade to v3 of phpBB. I'm investigating what that entails, but it probably won't happen until September at the earliest.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

UPDATE!
the justify alignment does work when your text is long enough to cause a line wrap. I'll be blabbering endlessly in this paragraph to get enough text here to demonstrate how it works. In the meantime, there's really no point for you to actually read this text; instead, just take note of how the paragraph aligns on the left and right margins for all the lines that wrapping. So -- YAY for the feature working correctly.

You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Thanks much, especially for the news on searching.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Thanks, Z/neil/fbmf/ramnza/everyone else!
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

A few smaller things have been added. During the install, there was a blip where the forums didn't load properly; I apologize for that. Here's the changes:
"In Charge" List

Down at the bottom of the page, underneath the "Who is online" list, it will now display a list of admins and mods. Each name in that list should link to the profile of that account.

For some reason, however, fbmf isn't appearing in the list. I need to figure out why and correct that.
Flood Control on Edit

Previously, the flood control limit applied to new posts as well as edits. So, for example, if you made a new post and then immediately tried to edit it, you would get a message telling you to wait a bit. That is no longer the case -- any edits to existing posts completely ignore flood control. New posts, however, are still limited.

PMs in New Window

If you have the pop-up box that notifies you of new PMs enabled, this will now have a new option that allows you to open your PMs in that pop-up box rather than the "main" forum page.

Hide Avatars and/or Sigs

In your user control panel, you can now control whether you see avatars and sigs. For sigs, you have three options: show, show without images, or don't show. Note, however, that it does NOT consider forum smiles to be images (at least, as best as I can tell). For Avatars, you have the option of showing or not showing.

Table Code

There are now BbCodes available to build tables! Here's a basic example:

[table][row]Level[col]BAB[col]Fort[col]Reflex[col]Will[col]Special[col]Spell Casting
[row]1[col]+1[col]+2[col]+2[col]+0[col]Special entry for level 1[col]Spellcasting entry for level 1
[row]2[col]+2[col]+3[col]+3[col]+0
[col]Special entry for level 2[col]Spellcasting entry for level 2[/table]
This gives:
[row]Level[col]BAB[col]Fort[col]Reflex[col]Will[col]Special[col]Spell Casting [row]1[col]+1[col]+2[col]+2[col]+0[col]Special entry for level 1[col]Spellcasting entry for level 1 [row]2[col]+2[col]+3[col]+3[col]+0 [col]Special entry for level 2[col]Spellcasting entry for level 2

Note the way I typed the second row -- you do not have to put all the entries on one line, and could even use a different line for each entry.

The ROW and COL tags do not have a closing tag; the TABLE tag does.

You can do some formatting within cells. I'm still figuring out some of this, but as one example:

[table]
[row color=cyan]The color option changes the background color
[col]Those options, however, only apply to that one cell
[/table]
This gives:
[row color=cyan]The color option changes the background color [col]Those options, however, only apply to that one cell

Also, you can use a fair number of BbCodes within a cell to do additional formatting. For example:

[table]
[row color=cyan][b]The color option changes the background color[/b]
[col][size=2004]Those options, however, only apply to that one cell[/size]
[/table]
Gives:
[row color=cyan][b]The color option changes the background color[/b] [col][size=200]Those options, however, only apply to that one cell[/size]

Finally, there's an MROW tag, but I haven't quite figured out what it does, other than making the first cell bold.

[table]
[mrow]This is the first cell
[col]This is the second cell
[/table]
Gives:
[mrow]This is the first cell [col]This is the second cell

There's a button when you create a post for TABLE, but unfortunately, all it adds is the actual TABLE tag, nothing else.

For those of you who know HTML, here's how the codes here map to the HTML tags:

&#91;table&#93; = <table align="top" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

&#91;mrow&#93; = <tr bgcolor="#FFFF00" align="center"><td>

&#91;row&#93; = </td></tr><tr><td>

&#91;col&#93; = </td><td>

&#91;/table&#93; = </td></tr></table>

Feel free to play around with the new table tags in the Testing thread.

I'm expecting to begin work on rebuilding Nifty's search index next weekend. Once I have that done, I'll do the same thing here. So, hopefully, within the next two weeks or so the entire search index should be rebuilt.
You can't fix stupid.

Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Zherog wrote:A few smaller things have been added. During the install, there was a blip where the forums didn't load properly; I apologize for that. Here's the changes:
"In Charge" List

Down at the bottom of the page, underneath the "Who is online" list, it will now display a list of admins and mods. Each name in that list should link to the profile of that account.

For some reason, however, fbmf isn't appearing in the list. I need to figure out why and correct that.
The Great Fence Builder's name now appears in the Admin/Mod contact list.
You can't fix stupid.

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Zherog wrote:You can do some formatting within cells. I'm still figuring out some of this, but as one example:

&#91;table&#93;
&#91;row color=cyan&#93;The color option changes the background color
&#91;col&#93;Those options, however, only apply to that one cell
&#91;/table&#93;
This gives:
[row color=cyan]The color option changes the background color [col]Those options, however, only apply to that one cell

That causes both cells to have a cyan background for me. Given that you added the color to the "row" tag, rather than the "col" tag, I imagine that's possibly intended behavior.

I can also add color only to a single cell, like this:

&#91;table&#93;&#91;row&#93;col zero&#91;col color=cyan&#93;col one&#91;col&#93;col two
&#91;row&#93;no color&#91;col&#93;on this&#91;col&#93;row&#91;/table&#93;
[row]col zero[col color=cyan]col one[col]col two [row]no color[col]on this[col]row

However, since the row tag includes an implicit column tag, I don't see any obvious way to color only the first cell of a row, though any other cell can apparently be colored individually.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Manxome wrote:
Zherog wrote:You can do some formatting within cells. I'm still figuring out some of this, but as one example:

&#91;table&#93;
&#91;row color=cyan&#93;The color option changes the background color
&#91;col&#93;Those options, however, only apply to that one cell
&#91;/table&#93;
This gives:

That causes both cells to have a cyan background for me. Given that you added the color to the "row" tag, rather than the "col" tag, I imagine that's possibly intended behavior.

I can also add color only to a single cell, like this:

&#91;table&#93;&#91;row&#93;col zero&#91;col color=cyan&#93;col one&#91;col&#93;col two
[row]col zero[col color=cyan]col one[col]col two [row]no color[col]on this[col]row

However, since the row tag includes an implicit column tag, I don't see any obvious way to color only the first cell of a row, though any other cell can apparently be colored individually.
[row color=cyan]col zero[col color=white]col one[col color=white]col two [row]no color[col]on this[col]row

&#91;table&#93;&#91;row color=cyan&#93;col zero&#91;col color=white&#93;col one&#91;col color=white&#93;col two
like that.

It's really annoying. But you can do it. :-D
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thanks for all of your help, Z.

Game On,
fbmf