The Ends v4.01

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

galvorbak99g wrote:So, Im thinking of porting EotM to Cyberpunk 2020, becasue a) it makes sense for the setting im making to go along with the ruleset and b )brainhacking is really, really cool.
How easy/hard should this be? Any Suggestions for a starting point?
EotM was of course made to slide into 4th edition Shadowrun without having to contradict any part of any of the books except the Matrix chapter. That means it's going to be a bit of a stretch to get it to work in a d10+Bonuses versus Target Number system.

That being said, one of the biggest problems with Netrunners in CP2020 is how they pretty much don't even interact with the rest of the team. Setting it up so that Netrunners actually physically run around next to the Solos because they use Augmented Reality and short range lockpicking and brain hacking to accomplish things rather than sitting at home and doing VR bullshit a few days ago seems good.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Maybe I've missed it, maybe it's not there:
What exactly qualifies something to be an entry point to a server?
Random commlinks lying around?
Retransmitters in the corner?
Special access points?

Basically: If I and my team enter a corp office, and the hacker wants to enter the server to steal data/get more access/delete logs, what should he be looking for?
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Networks with open Connections to a Server can locate other Networks with open Connections to the same Server and then use the "Close Distance" action to open a direct Connection between them.

People are assumed to have commlinks, so "normal computers" don't actually sit around in offices at every desk. Only specialized computers if the workplace demands such a thing (eg: perhaps specialized science labs). A person's desk probably just has a place for them to be and (if the local server is non-wireless for security) an optical/wireless re-transmitter so that they can link into the local server. There also might not even be such a re-transmitter: some places might provide just an optical port for employees to connect in to.

So you find a desk of an employee to start the hack, but what you "find" is just a tiny antenna or a jack in point, not like a whole desktop with a screen and all that.

I mean there might be a screen, it depends on how comfortable folks are with AR, and perhaps how much they think their customers will be with AR.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Okay, so a retransmitter on their desk and maybe a optical port
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Is there a way to deal Stun damage through matrix combat?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i might be misremembering something here, but isn't almost all matrix damage stun damage, with the exception of one or two attack things?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Well AFAIK there are three ways to do Damage for a hacker
1) Black Hammer. You roll LOG/RES +Cybercombat, limited by Rating, against the enemy FIRE. The enemy then has to resist Rating+(net hits) in Physical Damage with WIL+Biofeedback. This damage is always Physical.

2) Crash. Same as in 1) but the damage is Icon Damage (so it only affects Data targets and TMs) and is resisted with SYS+Armor. This does nothing to normal people but does Stun Damage to TMs.

3) Rend Icon. The TM rolls RES+Decompiling resisted with FIRE+Cybercombat. The enemy has to resist CHA+(net hits) Icon Damage with System. Again, no damage to normal people, Stun to TMs.

What I'm asking: Have I missed another type of attack or can you only damage normal people with Physical Damage? If the second: Would a modified Black Hammer that does Stun be worth it?
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I seem to recall that using Black Hammer on someone in cold sim deals stun damage rather than physical (thanks to having the biofeedback safeties turned on), but I can't find a reference in EotM. I might be blurring it with SR4 stuff.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

That's definitely SR4
In EotM the difference between Cold and Hot is whether you can add the biofeedback filtration to your soak pool, not what type the damage is.
So if in Cold AR/VR you'd soak with WIL+Biofeedback, which is WIL+FIRE+Redundant Biofeedback filter, so normally WIL+FIRE+SYS
Then in Hot AR/VR you'd soak with just WIL. But instead your RESP is counted as 2 higher.

And yes, those slashes mean what you think it means. Cold/Hot and AR/VR are separate.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Since nobody is saying anything about different attacks, what about a stun program?
Advantage is that you can disable someone for a long time without killing them (currently you are limited to either kill them or temporarily disable them)
Disadvantage is that this is an additional program, with its own cost, so it's like forcing a Sammy to buy an entire new gun if he doesn't want to do physical damage.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

The program that my players wanted was a way to feedback a drone, so we did that once.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

What is the difference between normal and UV-Hosts? Is it just that UV-Hosts force you to connect and enter VR? Or are they powerful enough that the world in them seems realistic?

Also: What is the average Matrix Perception Pool for Spiders?
Last edited by Trill on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

IC will be 4-6, Hackers will probably be 6-9.

I think UV-hosts are supposed to be technomancer metaplanes, basically. Like weird alternative locations for some adventures, but not usually visited.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

UV Hosts are from before technomancers were even a thing that existst. And they don't even necessarily need an AI to run them either, but gods damn huge ammounts of computing power.

Realistically, there is never a real need or good reason to have an UV Host. It is basically a show of virtual power. Resolution far above and beyod what the normal matrix standards are capable of, Realism untill the smallest little detail in the custom landscaping etc. It's 4K/HDR compared to DVD Basically.

Technomancers get the submersion stuff happening to them, not sure about them getting a metaplanes equivalent though.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Oh I was thinking "Resonance Realms", which are right next to UV Hosts in the book.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Resonance Realms, right! actually forgot about those . . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

When using Retransmitters:
Do you need LOS to produce or sustain a connection to one, or is it only important that you are in H range?

Also: When you are connected to a Retransmitter, can people see the connection between you and it (without seeing either)? If yes, what's the threshold?
Can you mask a Retransmitter? Make it not visible in Matrix Perception?
Last edited by Trill on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

[*] A Connection does not require LOS. If you want to have it in your Network it must be in Handshake range of your network. If it's a Directional Retransmitter and you want to use is to draw LOS from, you need to have LOS to it.
[*] When a retransmitter is in your network they detect it or not depending on if they detect your network and have enough net hits to recognize the individual devices of the network (use the Assensing Test chart as a guide).
[*] If a retransmitter is not part of your Network you can still sustain a Cloak program on it. Otherwise it sits there in the open pretty much. You might allow a rule where a person can put it into stealth mode and it stays in that mode even after it disconnects.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Lokathor wrote:[*] A Connection does not require LOS. If you want to have it in your Network it must be in Handshake range of your network. If it's a Directional Retransmitter and you want to use is to draw LOS from, you need to have LOS to it.
Does that mean that if I want to chain Directional Retransmitters that all of them have to be Directional and have LOS to each other? That I can't connect to a Directional Retransmitter through a normal Retransmitter?
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Correct.

Note that a fiber optic connection is non-wireless but can carry "Directional" signal for its segment of the path between two Networks.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Can you hack a cyberlimb? If yes, what would you have to hack, the commlink or the limb itself? What FIRE would a cyberlimb have? Once you've hacked it, what can you do with it?
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

No direct hacking of cyberlimbs. That just is asking for too much trouble.

If you wanted to have an alternate version of Seize that has the same effect (total incantation), but the fluff is that you're making their cyberware go haywire and that's what's causing them to lose their turns as they fight back one arm against the other or something that's fine, but I wouldn't otherwise allow it at all.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

If EotM does not specifically adress this, there is no fucking consistency to what exactly happens to hacked cyberware. On one page the books say that you only need a reboot to get it back into normal working order . .
On another it is described as catastrophic hardware failure with sparks flying everywhere . .

Hack a leg. Chacater falls down.
Hack an arm. Basically no combat.
Hack the eyes. Character blind.
Hack his cyberlungs or improved heart or neural interface or wired into his CNS reflex stuff and . . well . . basically the character should be dead.
But that is stupid. And so we are left with:"disregard the in itself inconsistend and stupid canon and make some shit up that works."
There is. No. Fucking. Reason. EVER to have cyberware hackable remotely at all.
Direct contact with a cable? Yes, sure, in that situation you have other problems already . .
So no, burn out all the wireless feature. Hardwire them all into a fucking wireless burned out datajack. If you EVER need to go online, you daisychain 2 Max Sys and Firewall comlinks behind each other at least to get your temporary WiFi antenna, do whatever needs doing, then you unplug the cable and scrub everything clean.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Stahlseele wrote:If EotM does not specifically adress this, there is no fucking consistency to what exactly happens to hacked cyberware. On one page the books say that you only need a reboot to get it back into normal working order . .
On another it is described as catastrophic hardware failure with sparks flying everywhere . .

Hack a leg. Chacater falls down.
Hack an arm. Basically no combat.
Hack the eyes. Character blind.
Hack his cyberlungs or improved heart or neural interface or wired into his CNS reflex stuff and . . well . . basically the character should be dead.
But that is stupid. And so we are left with:"disregard the in itself inconsistend and stupid canon and make some shit up that works."
There is. No. Fucking. Reason. EVER to have cyberware hackable remotely at all.
Direct contact with a cable? Yes, sure, in that situation you have other problems already . .
So no, burn out all the wireless feature. Hardwire them all into a fucking wireless burned out datajack. If you EVER need to go online, you daisychain 2 Max Sys and Firewall comlinks behind each other at least to get your temporary WiFi antenna, do whatever needs doing, then you unplug the cable and scrub everything clean.
Stahlseele, you do know that everything you've said is SR4 rules and not EotM? Because in EotM you can't burn out wireless. You can't use multiple commlinks at once.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Which is why i lead that entire thing with:
If EotM does not specifically adress this, there is no fucking consistency to what exactly happens to hacked cyberware. On one page the books say that you only need a reboot to get it back into normal working order . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: