Freeport Running

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

Freeport Running

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I've been running a Freeport Trilogy game using 3.F&K. My DMing has been really rusty, as it's been a while since I've done this sort of thing.

There are 3 PCs: an Assassin (failed healer) from the civilization to the south, a fish-tainted Samurai sworn to the master of a kuo-toan clan living in the reefs near Freeport, and a fiend-blooded Fire Mage/Conduit refugee from a massacred group of desert-dwelling satanistic nomadic cultists. I've been leveling them up at the end of each session, and ignoring experience. That way they might get a chance to try high-level play.

Here are some silly maps:
ImageImage
We'll probably be starting the Terror session tonight. I've made a number of tweaks to the story which my players should not read about.
Here's the cannon background (yes, it's a spoiler):
The background of the Freeport Trilogy is that the ancient and semi-benevolent kingdom of the serpent people was destroyed when the cult of Hastur came to power among them and summoned the "nameless" one. The continent was shattered into islands, and the people 'degenerated'. Now the players have to foil a plot to call down Hastur again, aided by the religion of Yig (patron of the ancient serpent empire).

Being the hopeless meddler that I am, I decided that the ancient serpent empire was destroyed by the kuo toa, who were jealous of its power. The kuo-toa then populated the waters around the new island chains.
Freeport was formed when a deal was struck between a group of pirates and a kuo-toa clan. The Sealord is a hereditary seat because to hold it one must be fish-tainted (as were all of Drac's children...).
The remaining yuan-ti have been hiding out in the remnants of their fallen empire, and now they want revenge. The cult of Yig is building the lighthouse to call down destructing on the kuo-toa (and their mostly ignorant allies, the Freeportians).

This is going to lead to some trouble as the story progresses. Oh well.

Also, there are no "demihumans".

The assassin has yet to get off a successful death attack :(
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

What spells does he have? I'd be taking True Strike and finding some way to work it in there, myself.

Edit: Are your tags straight?

Edit Edit: You have an extra Spoiler tag at the very end of your post.
Last edited by Maxus on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Maxus wrote:What spells does he have? I'd be taking True Strike and finding some way to work it in there, myself.
The problem with true strike is that it only works on an attack made before the end of the next round, and death attack has the same deal. She'd need a way to get off an attack the same round as the true strike is cast.

She's been using color spray to great effect, however.
Maxus wrote:Edit: Are your tags straight?

Edit Edit: You have an extra Spoiler tag at the very end of your post.
Apparently I had an extraneous /quote tag where the /spoiler should have been. Oops.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kuo Toa Culture

Kuo toa do not die of old age, and it is the eldest that hold the reigns of power. The oldest kuo toan is Dagon, who is worshiped as god of the sea. As kuo toa continue to grow (given food supply) throughout their entire lives, an ancient kuo toan can be quite large. Kuo toa rarely advance in title unless one of their superiors dies. Status, however, is measured as degree of separation in command from Dagon, and therefore the power of status increases as the power of the kuo toa increases. Kuo toan death rituals require that the body be eaten by the kuo toa claiming the deceased's title. Rank and inheritance is usually passed down maternally. Although status in kuo toan society is strict, it is also unspoken. Titles exist only to describe profession.

Kuo toa suffer from a very low fertility rate, and as a result human pairings are encouraged. This has occurred in Freeport more than most are aware of. Fish blooded often appear human enough to pass, and in Freeport there is only mild prejudice. Those who look too fishy and wish to avoid prejudice can live in Obilatu Reef, although many choose to live with the discrimination and work in fishing boats or at the docks (which they excel at due to high strength and endurance).

The Obilatu Reef settlement houses around 150 kuo toa, and around 100 fish blooded humans. The inhabitants of Obilatu Reef practice subsistence fishing, and trade for forged metal and luxury goods. The settlement is made up of caverns grown and hollowed out within the reef, lit by both magic and cultivated bioluminescents. Warehousing and living quarters are both present, as well as the temple of Dagon. Human sacrifice to Dagon, especially of males mated to kuo toa, is a multi-annual occurrence. This is a decently well kept secret, but rumors still make most Freeportians suspicious.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:The problem with true strike is that it only works on an attack made before the end of the next round, and death attack has the same deal. She'd need a way to get off an attack the same round as the true strike is cast.
No way to quicken it? I don't much see why, say, Sudden Quicken would be a problem - and yeah, for Tome feat power level, I suppose it might even be somewhat weak.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.