Fundamental Game Assumption: Number of hits til death

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

That's a trade-off I'm willing to make.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Fwib wrote:
RandomCasualty2 wrote:I like minions dying in one hit. It definitely makes things a lot easier bookkeeping wise. I don't ever want to mark off damage on a minion.
Feels bad when you 'waste' a crit on a minion though :(
So should a critical hit be required to kill a minion? Do you believe that critically hitting one enemy reduces your probability of doing the same to another?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The deal is that getting a "maximum damage effect!" explosion when you are attacking an enemy against which it literally does not matter what your damage comes up as is genuinely frustrating. The solution is to just put the maximum damage effects onto the damage roll and then not roll the damage effects against opponents for whom the results don't matter.

Problem solved.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

FrankTrollman wrote:The deal is that getting a "maximum damage effect!" explosion when you are attacking an enemy against which it literally does not matter what your damage comes up as is genuinely frustrating. The solution is to just put the maximum damage effects onto the damage roll and then not roll the damage effects against opponents for whom the results don't matter.

Problem solved.

-Username17
So Sequence:

Attack Roll

Damage Roll

Say you roll 1d6 for damage; on a 1 or a 6, you do something special. The 1 does something more than the 6.\

Something like that?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

No, it's that you put the 'critical hit' part in the damage roll. In other words, if you roll high for damage, you do a lot of damage. The to-hit roll is strictly an effect/no-effect determination.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

And the probability of getting very high on your 3d6 is actually less than getting a natural 20, so getting the high-end damage effect is pretty close to a crit.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

virgileso wrote:And the probability of getting very high on your 3d6 is actually less than getting a natural 20, so getting the high-end damage effect is pretty close to a crit.
A lot less: unless I'm an idiot, and 18 is about 10 times less. 16-18 would be the closest approximation.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

And I'd say 16+ on 3d6 is high-end damage, wouldn't you? ;)

This makes it so that having a critical hit is inherently part of the damage resolution system, which is fairly smooth design. Now we only need to design attacks that utilize such, as well as the setting elements.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

In my experience, it always seemed like the bosses should be getting 2 standard actions/round, or at least some other form of action abuse that makes them ~2 characters. The boss should be able to command the minions, chuck out a freeze spell, and slice down the nearest minion belonging to a hero in a round.

In this manner, in the following round:
cleric/wizard - dispels freeze spell
cleric/wizard - buffs, battlefield controls, nerfs minions, whatever
rogue - takes his Death Attack at the boss (boss has something like doulbe hp)
fighter - clears the minions away, advances to boss

Boss: "You can never defeat me!"
(boss flies for some reasons, nonaction)
grapples fighter, flies up, drops him
raises 20 zombie minions, or chucks a fireball, or summons a greater demon or whatever

cleric + wizard - deal with the greater demon or destroy zombies, buff fighter maybe?
rogue - busts something weird out, or keeps sniping
fighter - flies up to engage the wizard with sword (should be almost dead by now)

So, something like 2 fighter full attacks, 2 rogue full attacks, and a spell should kill a boss. 11 attacks? 8-9 successful attacks? Going for around a 3-round duration combat where one character can kill just about all of the minions in a round.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

FrankTrollman wrote:. Most monsters frankly should be glass cannons to one degree or another.
That's not a great idea, because it means that pretty much everyone becomes a glass cannon.

Monsters need to be able to beat PCs at some point to set their difficulty. For a glass cannon to win, it has to win fast, because it certainly doesn't have staying power.

Really, I don't think glass cannons should exist at all. I just don't feel like they're good for the game at any stage. It's okay to have gnat style minions that deal accumulated damage with pure numbers and die in one shot, but your actual monsters shouldn't work like that, because once one creature plays the glass cannon game, it pretty much makes everyone play the glass cannon game.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

On all that durability and challenge issue, why not just set the standard encounter at a PC-like same-size group, but lower level? You don't need to make glass cannon be monster's default status (about which I agree with RC), you can analyze fights against multiple enemies from the start, and you can make (some) monsters playable more easily.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.