Sphere balance in PrCs

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Sphere balance in PrCs

Post by Kaelik »

So I'm looking at creating various PrCs that use the sphere mechanics as some part of their character design. How much do you think Sphere's are worth?

If it's a spellcasting PrC should I lose CLs (really don't want to do this for one Sphere, but maybe a half CL class with Spheres every other level) Or should I accept that the PrC is made of Dead levels and the very very few spheres have to make up for it?

How much is the general worth of choosing a sphere versus saying, you get Sphere X as basic?

For non-casters, what does a sphere cost, I know what it costs spellcasters, they have to use standard actions, so they can't cast spells, but what about non-casters like the Tome Fighter?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Re: Sphere balance in PrCs

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kaelik wrote:So I'm looking at creating various PrCs that use the sphere mechanics as some part of their character design. How much do you think Sphere's are worth?

If it's a spellcasting PrC should I lose CLs (really don't want to do this for one Sphere, but maybe a half CL class with Spheres every other level) Or should I accept that the PrC is made of Dead levels and the very very few spheres have to make up for it?
Spheres don't generally synergize with spellcasting, but a character with spheres will always have level-appropriate spell-like abilities. The best way to view a sphere-user/spellcaster is as a multicaster.

You could probably give the Bone sphere to a necromancer without dropping caster levels, but once you start giving out multiple spheres that expand a character's versatility a lot, it should probably go to cohort casting.

Dead levels shouldn't exist regardless. There are always worthwhile abilities you can give out, even if they don't give spheres or improve casting.
Kaelik wrote:How much is the general worth of choosing a sphere versus saying, you get Sphere X as basic?
A sphere you don't get to choose is just as valuable as a sphere you do get to choose if you were going to take the preselected sphere anyway.
The only time a preselected sphere might not be as valuable is if it includes significant overlap with abilities the character already has.

Kaelik wrote:For non-casters, what does a sphere cost, I know what it costs spellcasters, they have to use standard actions, so they can't cast spells, but what about non-casters like the Tome Fighter?
What do you mean? Tome fighters have to spend actions on spell-like abilities too. In general a sphere is probably more useful to someone without spellcasting, because it adds something new. Charisma, however, is an important factor.