Tome Series: Can you still break the game?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I enjoy F&K primarily because there are not any loaded choices. Aside from the "if you are a Conduit, you must get Heighten Spell-like Ability, there are a very limited number of BAD choices. If you are an assassin demon and take a stinging scorpion tail, that is perfectly fine. If you take Danger Sense, that's cool too because you get to see all the traps instantly.

Seriously, I'm in a campaign with a newbie player playing a Conduit (limited number of spells = good). She has taken Devour the Soul (house-ruled to a full round action), Heighten Spell-like Ability, and Greater Teleport without feeling that she has made a mistake. Also, she can Power Attack with her Flameblade, which I feel is an important addition.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

I love the Tome series; it's a shame that there will be no more additions any time soon.

But when Frank and K could have focused on the three other editions, why did he stick with 3rd edition to write about instead of the others? What did he find appealing?
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

4e was announced after they moved to separate continents. 3rd edition has advantages of rules clarity and flexibility over AD&D. saves make more sense, BAB is understandable by mortals, and there are serious power imbalances. 3rd was also the dominant edition when they started writing.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Yeah, I like 3rd edition the most out of all the editions so far.