No More Wishes!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

To Prak: Opposed Charisma check. Monster fails, has to do whatever it is told, short of suicide.
Last edited by Jerry on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak: If I encountered some guy fiddling around with multiple bags of holding I would soooo cast Disjunction on the whole mess just to watch the ensuing carnage of materials spill out into the surrounding area.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sigma999 wrote:Prak: If I encountered some guy fiddling around with multiple bags of holding I would soooo cast Disjunction on the whole mess just to watch the ensuing carnage of materials spill out into the surrounding area.
and that alone completely invalidates the idea?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

We have always played that Bags of Holding could not contain other Bags of Holding...

My point was that:
"We cart all the gold back. It takes time. Once that's done..."
is easily replaced by:
"We Teleport back to town and wish a new giant gold pile into existence there." (This take no time)

Gold has no value because ou walk around with a giant pile of it at your disposal.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Aktariel wrote:Frank and K's cap was 15K, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, Google "The Wish and The Word," and you can see how truly broken Wish is even without the greater powers.

That, and you get to see Frank and K optimize. It's %@$*&^ scary.
Googled it, but it did not come up on the first few pages.

It was in the WotC char-op "Siblings!" thread.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Prak_Anima wrote:as to the actual topic... why not just have the wish granting creature in question ask the most obvious question of all: "Why should I help you?" You can then have the players roleplay trying to convince the efreet or solar or whatever to either help them or "suffer the consequences". essentially.
Well, that stops working after a certain point. Efreet aren't particularly strong creatures, and would certainly throw out a wish or two if it meant not dying. "Why should I help you?" "Because I'll kill you if you don't."
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Efreet that are rich (of which there are many) can probably buy a Magic Item with Dimensional Anchor, so they won't ever become the victim of Planar Binding.
Last edited by Jerry on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Jerry wrote:Efreet that are rich (of which there are many) can probably buy a Magic Item with Dimensional Anchor, so they won't ever become the victim of Planar Binding.
Yeah. That leads me to imagine a possible societal system of the Efreet, specifically, how they deal with punishing their own kind. Instead of imprisoning a criminal Efreet, they take away his Dimensional Anchor magic item for a year.

Now this miserable Efreet is on bitch-duty, constantly being summoned to grant mortals wishes. Since a summoning spell doesn't distinguish whether an Efreet currently has wish granting capability, he could be summoned dozens of times per day, and summarily ordered to do the bidding of frail humanoids.

That is why the Efreet you summon are always pissed off and evil.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

That makes a lot of sense, but the Efreet just needs to be lucky enough to get summoned by someone who will give him one of the 3 Staffs of 50 Wishes in return for his service.

That, and I don't plan on any time soon (if I do allow Wish) for characters at 9th level to get Wish.
Last edited by Jerry on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

So that's it! It's not that all efreet are evil; it's that mortals only ever manage to summon efreeti criminals!

Makes you wonder about pit fiends...
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Talisman wrote:So that's it! It's not that all efreet are evil; it's that mortals only ever manage to summon efreeti criminals!

Hurray, we came up with a good idea!
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Er... According to the Tome of Fiends, Efreeti, like all others from the lower planes, cannot be summoned while on the Prime, and apparently, they're usually content to just sit in a lamp of some sort-or somewhere else that's safe-and wait for you to ask for their assistance.

"OK, I'll let you stay here in my palace, but in exchange you must provide me-and only me-with access to your daily Wishes. Deal?"
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Talisman wrote:So that's it! It's not that all efreet are evil; it's that mortals only ever manage to summon efreeti criminals!

"Your punishment for hoarding souls from your regional lord will be...

... 934 years as a Wish Bitch on the Prime planets, with no bail."
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

NoDot wrote:Er... According to the Tome of Fiends, Efreeti, like all others from the lower planes, cannot be summoned while on the Prime, and apparently, they're usually content to just sit in a lamp of some sort-or somewhere else that's safe-and wait for you to ask for their assistance.
Makes the Prime a prime destination spot among Outsiders, then.

But what about the City of Brass? There has to be a reason so many efreet hang out there!
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Jerry wrote:

But what about the City of Brass? There has to be a reason so many efreet hang out there!
The City of Brass is a major planar metropolis. That's actually enough reason for anybody to hang out there if they can. Same basic logic as Sigil in Planescape.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Jerry wrote:
NoDot wrote:Er... According to the Tome of Fiends, Efreeti, like all others from the lower planes, cannot be summoned while on the Prime, and apparently, they're usually content to just sit in a lamp of some sort-or somewhere else that's safe-and wait for you to ask for their assistance.

Its their home?