It looks like several of the Tomes got truncated.

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

It looks like several of the Tomes got truncated.

Post by K »

Several of the Tome Posts got truncated. Was there a change in character limit from the old Gaming Den?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I don't know if K is talking about the same thing here. But also it looks like people are sticking posts on the ends of those tome threads (maybe?) and I only get "no posts exist for this topic" on the last and later pages of those threads.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

I noticed that the Fiendish PrCs are cut off. They end at Boatman of the Styx.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

No, he means the end parts of the first posts in the Tome threads are gone. This is correct and also really sucks. The other thing you were mentioning about the last page or two not having any posts is true of any very long thread that hasn't been posted on, or at least hasn't been posted on much, since the board transition; none of the posts are actually missing, there's just an extra page tacked onto the end, presumably because of technical differences between the boards.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

That's why I've saved everything Tome to disk.
In the event of misfortune, you know.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Didn't save it to disk, but I do have the PDF, I should probably burn it though.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Re: It looks like several of the Tomes got truncated.

Post by fbmf »

K wrote:Several of the Tome Posts got truncated. Was there a change in character limit from the old Gaming Den?
Not that I know of, but I will check.

Game On,
fbmf
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Two different issues:
K wrote:Several of the Tome Posts got truncated. Was there a change in character limit from the old Gaming Den?
Yes, there was. This caused grief with the "Nifty SRD" as well. Let me verify with Neil that he applied the fix here that allows for longer posts; if so, it's just a matter of copy/pasting the text back in.
PhoneLobster wrote:I don't know if K is talking about the same thing here. But also it looks like people are sticking posts on the ends of those tome threads (maybe?) and I only get "no posts exist for this topic" on the last and later pages of those threads.
If this is the problem I think it is, it's actually nothing to do with long threads - though it's more likely to occur there. Instead, it has to do with threads that posts by a "guest."

BbSuckAss's conversion scripts (when we took the intermediate step of converting from 1.4 to 2.whatever) assigned all posts made by a guest a user id. Unfortunately, the dumbasses didn't actually create a user with that user id.

PhpBB is getting confused because it can't join some posts to the user table, and so some posts get dropped from the thread view. This problem becomes apparent when there's enough missing posts to cause overflow to a new page.

I've already pinged Neil about this one; he can verify that this is the problem pretty quickly, and the fix is pretty simple, too -- insert a row into the user table with an ID of whatever BbSuckAss made up and give it a name of Guest.

Can somebody post one example of a thread that has this problem, so it's easier for Neil to verify?
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Zherog wrote:
Can somebody post one example of a thread that has this problem, so it's easier for Neil to verify?
As far as I know, page 9 of the Tome of Fiends won't display as having posts. Neither will the last three pages of Races of War. Take your pick.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Thanks.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Hint for until it's resolved: go to page 1 and display from newest post.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thanks, Z.

Game On,
fbmf
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

No sweat. I wish I was able to do a little more to help you out, actually. But I don't have database level access to the Den like I do for Nifty. But at least this way Neil should have all the troubleshooting done next time he's available.
You can't fix stupid.

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Yes, thanks Zherog, Neil, and fbmf.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Caliborn wrote:Yes, thanks Zherog, Neil, and fbmf.
Seconded.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

As a Public Service Announcement...

I'm putting Races of War on the D&D Wiki, and I came across a truncated post in this board's version of it. Something went click, and I remembered I saved the originals as webpages into a folder. So, yeah, if anyone wants the original front pages of the four Tome threads, drop me a line.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maxus wrote: So, yeah, if anyone wants the original front pages of the four Tome threads, drop me a line.
Same here. There are probably others too but I'm also offering the saved HTMLs to anyone that asks. I have a monstrous folder filled with every cool TGD contributed D&D material I've come across and could call it up much like how Leress produces links out of thin air.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

sigma999 wrote:
Maxus wrote: So, yeah, if anyone wants the original front pages of the four Tome threads, drop me a line.
Same here. There are probably others too but I'm also offering the saved HTMLs to anyone that asks. I have a monstrous folder filled with every cool TGD contributed D&D material I've come across and could call it up much like how Leress produces links out of thin air.
Same here. I apologise for not having offered it before, but I always thought it was easy enough to extract all missing pieces from the .pdf.