Worse than WoW...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

CoH isn't super-balanced, but the setup makes me honestly not even care. Dominators, for example, are just as likely to beat most opponents as Brutes are, but they take ta very much longer time doing it, making them "inferior" as far as advancement per hour, which is the primary reward system of that type of game.

But yeah, City of Heroes is fun. It doesn't take itself overly seriously and its setup actually works much better than does WoW or EQ. It should just go even farther in the direction of ditching MMO concepts than it has. But it's still far and away the best one on the market.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Yeah, I noticed some archetypes level much slower, at least when soloing. That doesn't bother me really, I just think of it as difficulty levels -- and picked a strong soloer for my first toon.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I found CoH really boring.

It just seemed to my like someone's set of private servers on SecondLife with less chance I could customize my avatar and less chat.

But yes, they have many innovations that get you into the game quickly, even if their actual content is very boring and repetitive.

-Crissa
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Boolean wrote:
PhoneLobster wrote:.

Its like the one damn feature of city of heroes that anyone ever thought was cool, the costume creator...
Is this game commonly reviled? I picked it up a few days ago and am loving it, far far better than my brief encounter with WoW.
To my knowledge CoH is generally accepted as good, while CoV is more on the lame side.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I love me the Mastermind, though.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

If City of is commonly reviled, it's news to everyone, since they're doing pretty good for a subs game.

MMOG Active Subscriptions: 70,000 - 700,000

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Oh. Shit. DOFUS, the European (95% non-English?) Flash game.
My little pixie-thing mage character with the bat wings died to a level 1 bird in turn-based grid combat, after running around for an hour in a town full of Czech, French, and Spanish speakers.
I deleted the game promptly after that.

BUT the artwork was fantastic, and there was no lag whatsoever. It does have that going for it.

EDIT: Yet as a disclaimer, that was 3 years ago, so it may have improved by now. Odd, with such exponential fan growth at least something must have improved.
Here's to hoping for realtime combat.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.